Sunday, March 14, 2021

Our Saturday Game - Scenario StW-1 Secure the Crossroads

Seems like a lifetime of things have occurred since last we met. My job search continues to be stalled as I wait to hear back from potential employers. Being patient is the only thing one can do under the circumstances, but it's hard. I had not anticipated still being unemployed in March. I won't lie...these are tough times. 


Dan selected this week's scenario and would choose StW-1 Secure the Crossroads. This scenario depicts a night assault by the Canadians to seize a crossroads guarded by two MG Pill Boxes and some Luftwaffe Field Division troops. 

There are no ROAR or ASL Archive stats at the moment. The scenario uses only a small  portion of the map and is a great entry scenario for jumping into this pack.

I would also recommend this scenario for anyone looking for a gateway scenario into learning to play night games. 

George indicates on the scenario card that this scenario should take about 2-1/2 hours to complete. Dan I were done just about 2 hours. So this a great game when time is short.









The map is fantastic and provides some really interesting terrain features. I've always been fascinated by the fighting at the Steelworks and was really eager to play as scenario from this new pack.

 
As the attacker, I would command the men of the 5th Battalion, The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment), 153rd Brigade. My force would consist of 4 x 4-5-7's, 3 x 4-4-7's , 3 x 2-4-8's, and 2 x 2-4-7's led by a 9-1 and 8-1 with an LMG, 2 x 51 MTR's, a Piat, 2 x MMG's, 2 x DC's and 2 x BT's.

As the defending Germans, Dan would command the men of the Jaegerregiment 32, 16th Luftwaffe Field Division. This force would consist of 3 x 4-4-7's, a 2-2-8 and 2 x 1-2-7's led by an 8-1 with 2 x HMG's, 24 Mine Factors, 4 x Wire, 2 x Pill Boxes, and a 75L AT Gun. They would have an ELR of 1. Honestly, a very anemic force to try and stop the veterans of the 51st Highland Division.






And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:


"The Germans must have one good order MMC within two hexes of the crossroads at game end.  The two best assets are the MG nests (wood pillboxes with HMG and crew).  They will set up for maximum fire lane possibility which is useful at night.  The 8-1 will set up HIP with a squad and the AT gun will set up covering the crossroads and able to assault  and advance into victory area at game end.  Hopefully the mines and fire lanes can break up the British attack and the Germans do an even exchange in CC."


It's fun to get out the big maps now and then, but can be a challenge to set up.

"I say...that's quite a large map you have there!"


My boys begin the game under cloaking counters. I intended to send my dummy units along the west edge while my actual units covered the east edge and would drive straight for the cross roads. I would win the game if there were no good order Germans within 2 hexes of the AA9 Crossroads.


My boys prepare to head out into the darkness.


"Let's get to it Lads!"


Turn 1 - my boys creep quietly towards the Steelworks. 

The NVR is 3 at game start, but I would change it to 4 on the Turn 3 wind change. I would not have any units stray during this scenario and managed to keep most units on or beside a road hex for much of the game.

My boys would move into EE5 and hit a minefield. Two of my half-squads would break, but the half-squad with the Bangalores would be ok and placed the first Bangalore on the wire in EE6. Pretty cool...mark off "Use a Bangalore Torpedo" off my ASL Bucket list.

Seems like Dan and I have played a number of scenarios so far this year with mines.


Dan's first pill box would open up on me from EE7 and lay a fire lane. It wouldn't hurt me, but I did hold some real units back to keep them safe. My 9-1 and two squads would get into the first house and be fire on by the HIP German 8-1 and 4-4-7. I hate HIP units!!! But fortunately only my 9-1 would pin. Close Combat here we come!

Dan's 8-1 was a great guy...but he had to go down!

"Fix bayonets Lads!"


Close Combat is usually not my strong suit, but in tonight's game, I would prevail in nearly every case without suffering more than a lost half-squad. In a night fight, Close Combat is crucial to your success. My Bangalore would also create the trail break to approach the first pill box.




Turn 3 - my boys move to eliminate the first pill box. I place a DC, but it has no effect. I will have to go into CC with the 1-2-7 in the bunker. I would snake an MC in front of the pill box and battle-harden and create a Hero. The Hero would help take down the bunker in CC. The rest of my force would move towards the crossroads.




Turn 4 - my boy secure the crossroads and begin an assault on the second pill box.

Dan's boys would do their best, but a 1 ELR would leave them disrupted.


I would send an overwhelming force against the second bunker and have a 13-1 in Close Combat. I would still roll a 9...but that would eliminate the 1-2-7. I would send a 4-4-7 and the Hero into the pill box to man the HMG there.

The German 1-2-7 never had a chance...


The German sniper would appear and in two successive hits eliminate a 2-4-7. 



Dan's AT Gun would show up towards the south edge. I would succeed in eliminating it in close combat and with that Dan gave the concession. My boys had the victory. Dan and I spent about 30 minutes in a post game discussion. This game had played really fast and the British had been nearly unstoppable in the dark. LAX, 1 ELR Luftwaffe Troops were ill-prepared for this fight against the British. The British player had a lot of advantages in this game, but does need to watch for mines. My boys that were in the minefield, never rallied and never left that minefield. Fortunately, I didn't lose any more squads to the mines. Bunker placement is also crucial as the primary German firepower is in the two MG pill boxes. My thanks to Dan for a good game and a great first playing from The Steelworks.

My boys had the win...but the fight for Caen was just beginning.







And now for Dan's Post Game comments:


"The plan did not work.  The British successfully identified the dummy stacks and ignored them.  They moved forward in cloaking and successfully engaged Germans in CC.  So successful they only lost one HS while wiping out the Germans.  Well played by Grumble Jones.  Although he did find three of four minefields the casualties were minor.  This scenario plays fast and uses a portion of the very cool historical map.  Congrats to Grumble Jones for an excellent win!"


Dan and I will return next week for more ASL!



This AAR is dedicated to my father, Kermit Robert "Bob" Mullins who passed way on March 9th, 2021 at the age of 79. There are no words to express the feeling of loss...so I will simply say that I am very proud to be my father's son.


My father loved baseball and enjoyed nothing better than to play catch in the evenings. The sound of his throws popping into my glove would alert our neighbors that we were in the backyard. We hang onto the memories because...

Saying goodbye is never easy.

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your father. He will ALWAYS be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well sir, you are having a tough 2021 - first the job situation, and now the loss of your father, for which I am very sorry. And all during a pandemic. I look forward every Monday to your blog, and I sincerely hope and pray that your 2021 starts improving. Big time. We are rooting for you here in Richmond, VA.

    ReplyDelete