Sunday, March 21, 2021

Our Saturday Game - ASL Scenario DN4 Chateau de Meez

It's a beautiful Spring day here along the banks of the Mississippi River. Such days are truly glorious in Western Illinois. It won't be long now before corn and soybean go into the fields that cover this part of Illinois. I was very happy to bid farewell to the late winter. It was perhaps the worst winter of my life. Out of work...having both father and a beloved great-uncle pass away...it's been an immeasurably sad time in my home. A year from now...I hope I can look back on this time as a distant memory.

The Mississippi River on a lazy March 21st, 2021 Sunday.

My buddy Dan was busy with work this past week, so we were only able to get together on Saturday. My job search feels like a from of Greek torture...where each week...I have interview and then nothing...and more nothing...and then another interview and I push the rock back up the hill once more only to see it roll back to the bottom. I have submitted over 51 applications...it's maddening...nothing else to say...

Our Saturday game would be my choice this week. And without hesitation I selected ASL Scenario DN4 Chateau de Meez. Designed by Dan Dolan, this is one of the Dinant scenarios. Finally...I was playing something from Dinant. Man was I excited about that! The Dinant map is a thing of beauty.

This scenario deals with the German 7th Panzer Division's effort to expand their bridgehead after crossing the Meuse. High cliffs had to be scaled as the Germans moved towards the Chateau de Meez, which was surrounded by woods. 

The Germans used their numerical superiority to push the French out of the Chateau and continue their advance westward.

This is a good scenario for introducing yourself to the Dinant map. It uses a small portion of the map and has a  manageable number of counters for both sides. I found it to be an enjoyable game with some good tactical nuances. But, it does appear to be tough on the French. 


Dinant is beautiful place. I passed through this town twice in 1985. Wonderful...simply wonderful.


I first saw this fantastic map in 2015 at March Madness in KC. They had it up on the wall and I remember being in awe of it then.

As the defending French, Dan would command the men of  the 2'eme Bataillon, 66'eme Regiment d'Infanterie, 18'eme Division d'Infanterie (ELR of 2...). This force would consist of4 x 4-5-7's, 3 x 4-3-7's and 2 x 2-2-8's led by an 8-1 and 2 x 7-0's with an HMG, 2 x LMG's, 2 x ATR's, a 37* INF, 13 x ?'s,  25LL AT Gun, a roadblock and a wire counter. On Turn 3, Dan would get a mounted 4-5-7 led by an 8-0 with an LMG.

As the attacking Germans, I would command the men of the 6th Rifle Regiment and Panzer Regiment 25 of the 7th Panzer Division. My force would consist of 15 x 4-6-7's led by Rommel 10-2, a 9-1, 2 x 8-1's and 2 x 8-0's with an HMG, MMG, 5 x LMG's a 50 MTR and 3 x Panzer MKII f's. 

A look at the battle space. The Germans find themselves with only two roads up to the cliffs. Scaling the cliffs were certainly a consideration...but I would pass on that idea and instead decide on a three prong attack with two groups going straight up the roads/paths to the north and south. My reinforcements would form the third prong and would already be above the cliffs. I saw little value in a Schwerpunkt as the narrow approach routes would simply bottle up the available firepower. So an attack from both north and south felt right.






And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:


"The French must defend the cluster of buildings surrounded by woods.  The plan is to defend the escarpment and retreat back to the buildings.  The clearing near the roads will have the AT capabilities except one ATR.  The 8-1 with a squad and HMG will set up in Building DD22 to cover the roadblock.  Both 7-0s each with a squad and LMG will set up in GG row to cover the cliff.  Hopefully the delay of the tanks will keep the infantry on pace to arrive with little time to clear the buildings."


A view of my planned attack. Dan had two HIP units, but these would not surprise me as they normally do in our games. I would blunder right into Dan's HIP units and this would be benefit me more than Dan.

I won't lie...it's great fun to have the Rommel counter in the game.


Turn 1 - German. My tanks led the way until they found the roadblock. I would elect to try and remove the roadblock rather than scale cliffs. Dan would blow away a half-squad that came up the path on the south.




After one turn, I had made only minimal progress.


Turn 2- German - I MALF the MA on the lead MKII...I will roll a 6 on the next repair attempt and lose the tank to RECALL. At the south end I would manage to get into position for close combat against the French squad defending the path.

I was moving cautiously and trying to avoid taking too many hits on my boys.


My Turn 2 reinforcements arrived and moved slowly into position. I had a squad positioned on the roadblock and they would set to work removing it. On the south, I moved into Close Combat with the French squad.



Turn 3 - German - I was still struggling to remove the roadblock as my recalled tank turned and headed back into Dinant. My reinforcing group moved to the wood line near the level 3 hill crest. On the south, My boys were up on top and moving through the woods towards the Chateau de Meez. For his part, Dan began to fall back towards the chateau.

Dan was doing his best to keep his boys concealed in the woods and around the chateau. With a 2 ELR he could ill afford to have to make a lot of morale checks.

Dan's reinforcements arrive and move directly to the chateau.


`
Turn 4 German - the road block is cleared and my remaining two tanks head up the road. My infantry also surge forward from the north and south, but maintain concealment as much as possible.

I wanted to keep my force intact as much as possible and then hit Dan from all sides at one time.


Dan's sniper would eliminate my sniper and be dangerously close to Rommel. A French half-squad with an ATR plinked away at one of my tanks without effect. One tank went after the ATR half-squad, while the second moved into the woods to create a trail break to the chateau. I would manage to kill the French crew manning the AT Gun and forced the rest of the French infantry to retreat.

My grenadiers moved forward.


My Germans had  broken the through the French defenses in the woods. The fight would now be for the chateau. On the south end, my boys were ready to make their assault.



My tanks would both head through the woods as my boys made their assaults from both north and south. But in the west, the French rallied a leader and half-squad. I would have to deal with them.




I moved two units to deal with the rallied 8-0 and his half-squad. Meanwhile, Dan's boys were surrounded in the chateau.




On the west edge, the 8-0 would be captured and his men eliminated. Then Dan threw caution to the wind and leapt into close combat at both ends of the chateau. If he succeeded, it would push the Germans out of the chateau. I would roll snakes in the northern close combat and create an 8-1. In the south close combat, Dan and I would casualty reduce each other and remain in melee. The desperate counter-attack had failed.

The snakes in close combat also allowed my boys to infiltrate forward. My Landsers were in the chateau in force.


Turn 7 - German - Dan was down to single unbroken squad in the chateau. 


In Prep-Fire the unbroken squad is broken and with that Dan gave the concession. There was nothing to stop the Germans from engulfing the chateau.

With all French resistance removed, my boys flood onto the grounds of the Chateau de Meez. My success in the final two close combats were key to ensuring the German victory. Normally, I do very poorly in close combats...but this time, I was lucky and it made all the difference in the game. My thanks to Dan for a great first playing on the Dinant map. I look forward to playing another Dinant scenario in the future.






And now for Dan's Post Game Comments:


"The plan did not work.  The Germans moved forward and were able to clear the roadblock.  Then got through the woods without a bog.  While the infantry went forward and found the AT kill zone HIP units.  An unsuccessful CC attack on French turn 6 opened the way for a successful German prep fire which broke all defenders.  Well played by Grumble Jones!  This scenario is a good into to the historical map and SSRs.  Congrats to Grumble Jones on a good attack and solid win.  Grumble Jones is making a comeback!"



Dan and I will return next Saturday for more cardboard carnage!

We will see you then!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Scott!

    As to the job search, keep at it, something will open up. I was termed last January, just before COVID hit. It took me until August to secure a position. I bet I replied to over 1000 openings all over the country. Right now, not too far from you up in Burlington.

    Keep plugging away!


    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing that sentiment of spring. I grew up in central Illinois. Like that old man river, hope you keep rollin' along!

    ReplyDelete