Thursday, October 1, 2020

Grumble Jones Halloween Scenario Plus - WHERE THE HALF-SQUADS DARE!

At long last...after much teasing...here now is the Annual Grumble Jones Halloween Scenario. Before I go further, I need to recognize some folks for making this year's scenario plus possible. Rick Reinesch jumped on board all the way back in April of this year. He took some emailed sketches and made some fantastic maps. In truth, Rick's maps are the best reason to have this year's scenario. They are fantastic and beautiful to look at. Rick has brought Where Eagles Dare to ASL life. Then we have Dan Best, whose encouragement and assistance have been invaluable in bringing this project to life. And then we have our great friend in blogging, Jackson Kwan of Hong Kong Wargamer. Together with Zoltan Grose, Jackson has made Rick's wonderful maps available in VASL. And lastly, Dave Kleinschmidt and Jeff Hallett graciously jumped on board to give this scenario its story. And who among us wouldn't rush out to rescue the 2 Half-Squads!?! Of course we would.

The ASL Community is one of the greatest things about our game. From Tournaments to VASL to blogging to Pod Casting, our community is vibrant and breathing so much life into a game that is over 40 years old now. I say this often, but it's true, we are living in a Golden Age of ASL. This game captured my imagination in 1978, when my local hobby shop had it set up under glass in the center of the store. It has been a part of my life ever since.

So, let me say loudly and for all to hear....THANK YOU! Rick, Dave, Dan, Jeff, Jackson and Zoltan...THANK YOU! You guys made this possible and I'm very...very grateful.




Okay, let's talk scenario! Halloween has always been a fun time here at Grumble Jones. We have time-traveled with Nazi Zombies, Dinosaurs, mad scientists, and Skin Walkers. And I have enjoyed every minute. Now...a little secret...one of my long-time readers, Eric Garrard is the reason that I keep doing these year after year. He was so encouraging when I first released a crazy Halloween Scenario, that I wanted to keep doing them, even if just for Eric! So Eric, this Bud's for you man! Thanks for enjoying these crazy Halloween scenarios.


Naturally, having an idea for a scenario and actually making it work are sometimes difficult to bring together. I discovered that while completing Where the Half-Squads Dare. And I want to point out that this scenario plus may actually play better as a Solo game or with both players on the Allied side, with one Player playing Smith and the other playing Schaeffer. The actions of the Germans are so controlled and scripted that I fear it will not be a lot of fun for the German Player unless of course he too is just interested in seeing the adventure play out. For you D&D'rs out there. You'll love this and I recommend using Rick's awesome maps for your next winter castle adventure! 


Play Balance...there is  none. This game is unabashedly pro-Allies and it is wickedly difficult on the Germans. So forgive me, this is not great ASL. It's a crazy bit of silliness to play for fun and I hope that in the end there are some fun moments. If not...blame me and enjoy the great maps!


And remember...Dave and Jeff are counting on you to save them from the clutches of the Germans!!!...well maybe....

Here are links to previous blog posts that tell the Backstory for Where the Half-Squads Dare.


 
and



The back story adds to the fun and the Play Through gives you some insights into how to play this craziness. 


Now normally, I would post this scenario and all the files to the ASL Archive. Unfortunately, the files are simply too large. There are three main files. There is the PDF version of the 21 Page Scenario Pack. Then there is a PDF version of the MAPS which can be printed out in 8-1/2 x 11 sheets, which you then assemble. The maps I used for the play through were printed out assembled in this way. The final file is 37 Meg and is a full size PDF version of all three maps. This can be printed out on a poster. But word of caution...I printed a map up and it cost $36.00 at a local printer. So be aware of that before heading over to Staples or Kinkos. I wish I could provide everyone with a printed map...but alas...that would require more money than the wife will allow me to spend!!! 



Here is the link to the Drop Box Folder that has the files. Please email me at bigfriendee@msn.com is you have any questions or have trouble accessing the files. I am happy to find another way to get them to you.





Below are the individual pages of the Scenario Pack as images for those who forgo downloading the PDF's from the Dropbox location.
























Thanks for spending your valuable time 
at Grumble Jones 

and remember that in 
Where the Half-Squads Dare...

Dave and Jeff need you to roll low and to rally well especially when you are rescuing them!


Happy Halloween everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment