Sunday, August 27, 2023

Our Games - ASL Scenario WO27 Checking Out and WO12 Heart of Wilderness


After a two-week hiatus, Dan and I were back in the cardboard saddle and playing some ASL. We got in two games two weeks ago, but both games were not bloggable. Concessions came early and neither game went deep enough to justify an AAR. In both games, one side found itself quickly overmatched and out of the game prematurely. This happens sometimes, but it did kinda suck that it happened back-to-back. 

WP 9 The Last Charge! and MM65 Dieulouard Bridgehead were the two games that missed the mark for us. I conceded the Last Charge after my Burmese were shot off their horses and gunned down. And Dan would concede the  Dieulouard Bridgehead after my Germans threaded the needle and were headed to claim the victory locations.  Dieulouard Bridgehead was a real grind to play and trying to move Armor at night on winding mountain roads was just not my cup of tea. 13 MP Tanks were moving 4-5 hexes a turn due to the elevation changes and twists and turns in the road. Unfortunately, we just didn't find it to be a fun game. And the longer I play ASL, the less tolerant I have become for rules heavy scenario. There are just too many other scenarios to play that get the action going quickly and keep it simple. The scenarios were both fine scenarios, but just not in my personal wheelhouse of fun. I will also have to say, that I really don't care to play another scenario with cavalry. By and large, my experiences with them have not been favorable. 

Our first game of the weekend would be a DASL scenario from the Winter Offensive Bonus Pack #9. We would play WO27 Checking Out by Nich Richardson and Brian Youse. This scenario is set in Aachen in 1944 and has the Americans on the defense against a large force of SS Grenadiers.

By SSR, a Dawn +1 LV Hindrance would be in effect during the game. This would severely impact my defensive effort as the Americans. You may have noticed a decline in my dice roll whining. Well, that's because for several games now, my dice have been rolling normal to good. But our first game of this weekend would return my dice roll struggles. I would roll terribly throughout the game. And on the other side, Dan was rolling well, 2's, 3's and lots of 4, which was my SAN and out of 8 opportunities, I would only get on Sniper. Despite the disparity on our dice, it would be a fairly fun game.




My track record in scenarios set in Aachen is pretty bad. I have fared very poorly and especially as the Americans. This game would keep that awful streak alive. 


Can't argue with that...Aachen is where my hopes go to die!!



As the attacking Germans, Dan would command Elements of SS-Bataillon Rink, Kampgruppe Diefenthal. This force would consist of 18 x 6-5-8's led by a 9-1, 8-1, 8-0 and 7-0 with an MMG, 4 x LMG's, a Panzerschreck and a DC.



As the defending Americans, I would command the men of 3rd Battalion 26th Infantry Division, 1st Infantry Division. My force would consist of 12 x 6-6-7's and 3 x 6-6-6's led by a 9-2, 9-1 and 2 x 8-0's with 2 x MMG's, 2 x BAZ 44's and a Sherman. 




It's been a while since we played a DASL scenario. They are a nice change of pace every now and then. They compress the battlefield considerably and provide some tricky LOS's. It's easy to find yourself moving in the sights of the enemy if you're not careful. 










And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:

"The Germans must attack and take 6 of 11 multi-hex buildings.  The plan if for the 8-1, three squads MMG and LMG to be at level 2 in the set-up building as overwatch.  While all others attack out into town.  With two squads deployed as scouts.  Hopefully the PSK can successfully hunt the tank."


By SSR the Germans set up in the C1 Building and the Americans behind the redline. The Germans win at game end by controlling at least 6 of the 11 multi-hex buildings in the American setup area. ROAR has this one with 29 American and 22 German wins. I still find that interesting as 18 x 6-5-8's is one powerful force as I would discover. I set up with an effort to minimize Dan's opportunities to break my key units with his Turn 1 Kill Stacks (26 FP with his 9-1)...freaking Death Star.


So, to be clear, there a key moments in ASL when stacking and using Prep Fire are an essential part of the game. When you get to shoot first and your opponent is not concealed...well...yeah take the shot!


"Yes Mum!"


As luck would have it, Dan's 26 FP shot would sail over my head as he rolled an 11. But that was the last time the Germans would roll badly. Dan's initial movements would be fairly successful, but a few breaks would be caused by American Fire. I wouldn't have a better Defensive Phase than this one. My dice just kept coming up with a six on at least one of the dice, which nearly every roll. Cowers and boxcars would also hinder my defensive effort. Only Dan's poor early morale check rolls would keep in the game.



After turn 1, Dan's SS Grenadiers were still behind the start line. As ROAR and the ASL Archive show, the scenario is pro-American. But I didn't grok it and as you can see the Germans are no in easy reach and can start to "DASH" across the road. You will notice American squads outside the building claiming Wall Advantage, while other squads are inside the building. I have learned that hard way, that you don't want to allow your opponent to Assault Move behind the wall and then clobber in you Close Combat.



Turn 2 German - Dan comes at me and I manage to hold him off on the flanks...but he penetrates the center and that was a dagger to my heart. His 9-1 DEATH Star would support the breach and keep me from sealing it. My Turn 2 Defensive Fire was pretty poor, which required too many shots at the same German unit from multiple units, which left me with nothing available to fire at 2-1/2 squads that just ran up the middle.



After two turns, the battlefield was a mess with both sides licking their wounds and trying to rally up boys for the fight.


Turn 3 would reveal the extent of Dan's penetration in the American setup area. I was still in control of the majority of the victory buildings, but I was being pushed against the north and south board edges and had no answer for Dan's boys flooding into the center. Again, his decision to have the 9-1 with 3 x 6-5-8's, an MMG and LMG was keeping me pinned down, when he wasn't breaking and killing my boys.




As we headed into Turn 4, Dan was taking buildings but suffering some losses in the effort. The Triangle building would see both die in a mutual elimination Melee that killed a US leader, 6-6-7 and a German Hero and 6-5-8.  But Dan's Death Star began to break all my boys in the south. I was in real trouble.



My Sherman had failed to ever get any hits with its MA and would be taken out by a Panzerfaust.


A look at my woeful situation. I was broken all over the battlefield and the smoke from my Sherman was a white flag of submission as Dan's SS pounded the snot out of me.




As we headed into Turn 5, Dan had control of 6 victory buildings and would soon have three more. As the hour was late, I gave the concession and Dan had a good victory. Despite bad rolls, it had been a fun game with lots of good action. Both sides landed blows and the losses were grim evidence of the severity of the fight. But the breakthrough up the middle had doomed me. With the German 9-1 Death Star performing overwatch, I simply wasn't able to move aggressively to take back the center.

In hindsight, I should have placed my MMG's at Level 2 and kept Dan from safely exiting the C1 building. I'm certain that explains why it's a Pro-American scenario...but of course your dice have to give you something or else your strategy won't add up to much. Congrats Dan on a great win. It really was a fun scenario and one that I would highly recommend!






And now for Dan's Post Game Comments:


"The plan worked.  The low visibility hinderance is really needed in this scenario or the Germans would be unable to cross the streets.  As it was I lost 5 squads taking six buildings.  Very tough street fight.  My thanks to Grumble Jones for a great game!"


Our second game of the weekend would be WO12 Heart of Wilderness by Pete Shelling. This is a 1942 Russian front scenario, with the Germans on the defensive against lots of Russians. Fortifications and lots of trees would make this an interesting battle. The terrain would be pretty dense with few good fire lanes available to the defender. ROAR has it with 26 Russian and 16 German wins. So, this scenario appears to be Pro-Russian. Our playing would confirm that as well.


Dan and I are both trying to catch up with playing scenarios from the Winter Offensive Packs. I also look forward to these each year. 

But I'm always surprised at how many of the scenario packs that I own have not yet been played. It's hard to keep up these days, even when you play 100 games a year.

The dice rolls for this game would be pretty good for me overall and to the bad side for Dan. Dan's Germans would break early and often during the game. My Russians would also break, and three squads would ELR. So, we both suffered here and there from our dice.








As the defending Germans, Dan would command elements of Grenadier-Regiment 366, Infanterie-Division 227. His force would consist of 4 x 4-6-8's, 12 x 4-6-7's and 2 x 2-2-8's led by a 10-2, 9-1, 8-1 and 7-0 with 2 x MMG's, 4 x LMG's, an ATR, 2 x 50 MTR's, a 75 INF Gun and 37L AT Gun.



As the attacking Russians, I would command elements of the 19th Guards Rifle Division. My force would consist of three groups entering on Turns 1, 2 and 4 and consisting of 13 x 4-5-8's, 4 x 5-2-7's and 13 x 4-4-7's led by a 10-0, 9-0, 9-1, 8-1, 8-0 and 7-0 with 2 x MMG's, 6 x LMG's, 2 x 50 MTR's, a DC and 4 x Tanks.


The battlespace is pretty congested. To win the Russians must hold the Bridge in Hex 67T6 and Buildings 67J4 and 67L6.








And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:


"The Germans must defend the village and bridge over the gully.  The plan is for the 9-1 and two elite squads with MMG and LMG to set up in one pillbox watching the bridge, backed up by the 37mm AT.  While the 10-2 two elite squads MMG and LMG set up watching the village backed up by the 75mm INF.  Hopefully the Germans can inflict some casualties in the Russian infantry."


My plan was to hit Dan's Germans from three sides. My Turn 1 force's objective was the Bridge. My Turn 2 force and Turn 4 force would both assault the two victory buildings. With 30 Squads to Dan's 16, I could afford to divide up the objectives.



Turn 1 Russian - My boys advance without opposition. But Dan's Germans are watching intently.



Turn 1 advance was adequate and thankfully uneventful.




Turn 2 Russian - My Southern force entered the game. 


Turn 2 would see some good forward movement. A German 8-1, 4-6-7 and LMG would be overcome at the first German strongpoint.



After 2 turns, I was within striking distance of the bridge.

Turn 3 Russian - I clear out the Russian Dummy squads in the south and on the east side, move forward towards the bridge. The first bunker reveals as the German 9-1 sends fire down range.



Turn 4 Russian - My armor arrives from the west. This group will complete my encirclement of Dan's Germans. 



Turn 4 would see strong advances all along the front as my three groups came together. The bridge had been taken and it was time to focus on the victory buildings.



 A look at the situation as Turn 4 wrapped up. A broken 2-4-7 and 8-0 Leader were still in my backfield, but I would send two 4-4-7's to mop them up.



As my tanks arrived on Turn 4 - I would stop and unload a 5-2-7 and then boxcar the startup roll and immobilize one of my BT-7's. 


Dan's second bunker would reveal and two squads and the 10-2 would boil out and go into Close Combat with two of my BT-7's. The 10-2 would easily take out his tank, but the other squad would be held in MELEE.



Turn 5 Russian - I would manage to move into the village and take the Church. Only one building remained to control. 

My boys would get solid production from a captured German MG-34 throughout the battle.


As Turn 5 came to an end, the German perimeter was being slowly strangled.


Dan's10-2 had made a bold attempt and managed to take down two BT-7's - one in Close Combat and another when it attempted to overrun him. But now he was surrounded beside a wrecked tank with no where to rout.



As we entered Turn 6 - Dan gave the concession...the hour was late and the Russians were a turn away from victory.  A very tough game for the Germans. The terrain favors the attacker and the large number of Russian squads allows the Russian Player to hit the Germans from many different points. The terrain allowed me to move rapidly and unmolested in assault positions and dictate where the fighting would occur. I was also able to bypass German strongpoints and pin them down with follow on troops. My thanks to Dan for another great game. Our march to 500 games continues...only 18 more needed!!!










And now for Dan's Post Game Comments:


"The plan did not work.  The Russians came from all sides and did a good job of preserving the force.  The 10-2 managed to knock out two tanks in CC but the Russians captured the bridge and village objectives.  Well played by Grumble Jones.  Congrats on a well-deserved win!"



ASL memories made each weekend! 
And captured in this blog for as long as Google supports Blogger!!

Here's to remembering our games from yesterday, today and tomorrow!

ASL...always the greatest WWII Tactical Board Game ever created. We all know it's true!

Dan and I will return after Labor Day.


We will see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment