Monday, December 5, 2022

Grumble Jones - From Your Momma's Basement Pack VI



It's that time of year again, where we post the year's scenario in one place and give them a cover page. Longtime readers know the routine and are familiar with the "From your Momma's Basement Pack" series. I gave my scenarios that designation, because they are not professionally made or professionally play tested scenarios. They are just dogs on a different leash as it were. They provide me with a great outlet for my creative urges and every now and then, one of them is not too bad. And this year was really a special year for Grumble Jones scenarios.

It was fantastic to see my designs get some real play testing and revisions to make them worthwhile scenarios. 12 were originally submitted back in 2020, but only 8 made the cut. Play testing is a hard process and sometimes larger, more complex scenarios fall out because they're just too difficult to play test adequately. The KC ASL Team is top notch and their scenario packs are highly regarded.

And then they did a Grumble Jones pack...what were they thinking!?! I have no idea how they sold or if the pack has been well received. To date, no one has bothered to do a "What's in the box?" of the pack. I had been really looking forward to Ritterkrieg doing one of his unboxings...but I don't think he ever stocked his store with this pack. So that was a bummer. 

At any rate, it was a great experience to work with the KC ASL Club and see this pack come to fruition. With any luck, they will let me submit future designs!!!



This year's scenarios were set in NW Europe, the Arctic, the Middle East and North Africa. Stalingrad and Arnhem both made appearances and will always be a staple in Basement packs going forward. DASL made an appearance as well...sorry Eric Garrard. And I make two people a scenario each year. The Halloween Scenario is always for Eric Garrard and the Arnhem scenario is always for Mark Drake. 

I'm honored that Mark includes Grumble Jones scenarios in his annual Arnhem scenario event every September.  Look for another scenario in 2023.


2020's Scenario Plus - Where the Half-Squads dare will likely not be repeated. There are only 4 actually printed maps for that scenario....so they are some pretty rare ASL swag. (There is a fifth one in my collection.) I have another movie scenario plus idea ready for action (I didn't learn my lesson the first time.) I'll be reaching out to Rich Reinesch once again to see if he's game for a 8-1/2 by 11 map for a beloved WW2 movie. So we'll see where this goes.

I very much enjoy adding these monthly scenarios to the blog. I wanted to find a tangible way to thank my many readers for spending their valuable time at Grumble Jones. I like to think that these scenarios (such as they are) meet that objective. 

This year's pack is a Baker's Dozen as I included the reprinted KSM scenario that is now GJ115. And let me give a shout out to Frank Leitz, who for many months helped out by turning JPEGs into PDF's, which were then placed on the ASL Scenario Archive (User Files Tab). And lastly a thank you to my friend, Saturday opponent and scenario reviewer, Dan Best who keeps me from straying too far from the rules.





















As always, these monthly "Basement Quality" Scenarios are offered for fun only and as a thank you to the readers of this blog.


Remember to open pictures in a new window in order to maximize the size. 


All Grumble Jones scenarios are available from the ASL Archive website. 

(Just search on Grumble Jones)


No comments:

Post a Comment