Saturday, December 18, 2021

Grumble Jones Scenario Pack - "From Your Momma's Basement V"


It's a chilly day in Oklahoma, but the sun is shining and I'm sitting warm and toasty in my office as the latest 2 Half-Squads episode plays on YouTube on my PS4. So glad that Jeff and Dave have continued their excellent podcast. Our community is better because they are a part of it. In the early parts of the episode they talked a bit about on-line scenarios and did a small review of Deluxe ASL (DASL). And I thought, now would be a perfect time to upload the annual scenario pack post. 

It's been four years now since I completed the first "From Your Momma's Basement" Pack in 2017. In 2016, I had another scenario summation attributed to our good friend Professor Rollwright, but I don't recall creating a cover image. 

Prior to 2017, I had just done annual summary of the past year's scenarios. The real intent is to make the entire year's scenarios available on one page.

The first pack started at GJ041 and this year's pack ends with GJ102. 

It's hard to believe there are a 102 scenarios in the GJ series. My first series was the KSM series and I'm a bit embarrassed by those. They really need to be upgraded to the GJ standard. So that may happen in the not too distant future. 

2015 was the first time that I actually did a summary post for the year's scenarios. This pack would contain two of my more popular scenarios " Hanson's Bridge" and "Die Glocke".  GJ023 Hanson's Bridge would be the first time I changed the title font. So I often think of Hanson's Bridge as the beginning of the current look and feel of Grumble Jones Scenarios. And Die Glocke remains one of the most downloaded of my scenarios with over a thousand. The Halloween Scenarios remain the signature scenarios of Grumble Jones...whacko and completely over the top...

Yeah...my stuff is probably not gourmet quality. 

They're probably a bit more related to this cute fella.

Playtesting is of course a big concern with many players. You certainly don't want to play an unbalanced scenario in a tournament setting. 

Grumble Jones scenarios are not play tested by anyone other than myself. So, no one should mistake my scenarios for the kind of quality scenarios put out by almost everyone else!!

GJ scenarios are truly for fun only and allow me to scratch a creative itch, be part of the game when I'm not playing and to provide something tangible for those readers who spend their valuable time at Grumble Jones. 

Having said all of that, you will have an opportunity in March to play a properly play tested version of Hanson's Bridge, which will be part of the new Kansas City Club's March Madness Grumble Jones Pack. I'm really excited to see that pack and how my scenarios have been upgraded to improve them. And yes, the March Madness team playtested these scenarios for almost a full year. 


















The name of my scenario packs is "From Your Momma's Basement", which lets you know that these are just that "basement quality" scenarios that should be played for fun and not taken too seriously.



I have tried to mix it up as far as Germans and Allies on the cover. I'm very fond of the Germans and they have always been my favorite nationality to control in ASL. But it's good to keep Allies on the covers as well, cause not everyone is a big fan of the German side of WW2...nor should they be.

Pack II, III and IV as well as this year's V all contain DASL scenarios, which is something new for me as a designer. I've spoken before about my initial dislike for DASL, but I have to admit I like them from design standpoint. Illi's Block and a Day at the Museum are too of the better known DASL scenarios and both will be included in the upcoming March Madness pack. I expect to have at least two DASL scenarios in next year's VI "six pack".  Next year's scenarios are in already in pre-planning...so love'em or hate'em you get another years worth!!!

Here now are the 12 scenarios from the 2021 "V" Pack. 













Ok...that's it for 2021. 

Thanks for spending time at Grumble Jones!


As always these monthly "Basement Quality" Scenarios are offered for fun only and as a thank you to the readers of this blog.

Remember to open pictures in a new window in order to maximize the size. 

And as always, the PDF's for these scenarios can be downloaded from The ASL Scenario Archive 

(just search on Grumble Jones).

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the best scenario packs I've seen from any publisher in awhile and I'm excited to play several of them, especially Against Orders and Avenging Panzer 101. Well done!

    ReplyDelete