Sunday, May 9, 2021

Our Saturday Game - ASL Scenario 140 Round Two

Our latest Saturday game would take us to the start of the Second World War and to the end of my unemployment journey. After six months of depression...anxiety...self-doubt...and overall anguish...I finally found a job back in Tulsa, OK. So...Grumble Jones will return to the winds of Oklahoma. Of course, it's a bittersweet success. I had no desire to leave Quincy, IL and am heartbroken at the prospect. Quincy is a place like no other and it has been the site of my greatest ASL playing. I have recorded 485 games since 1990...and 280 of those have been played while living in Quincy, IL. I'll miss Quincy a lot.



Our game for the evening would come from Doomed Battalions 3rd Edition. Our chosen scenario would be ASL Scenario 140 Round Two.  Designed by Vic Provost, this scenario depicts a hedgehog defense of the Sochaczew, Poland by determined Poles attempting to stop the oncoming SS Leibstandarte. 

Early war scenarios are not generally my favorite. My sweet spot is usually 1943-1945. But it's good to change it up now and then and get in some Minor Allies action. 

One of the most challenging things in ASL is to attack a well defended urban environment. I really do prefer the "attacking a Russian village" scenarios which have a bit more movement opportunities. 











As the attacking Germans, I would command the men of the 1st Battalion, 1-SS Regiment Leibstandarte and Panzer Regiment 36, 4th Panzer Division. This force would consist of 3 x 5-4-8's, 13 x 4-6-8's and 2 x 2-4-8's led by a 9-2, 9-1, 8-1, 2 x 8-0's, and a 7-0 with an HMG, 2 x MMG's, 4 x LMG's, 2 x ATR's, 2 x 50 MTR's, 3 x DC's and a Radio with some SWEET 150mm OBA!!! Oh and 7 armored vehicles with a 9-1 Armor Leader. I guy could used to a force like this!!!

The victory conditions are lengthy...The German player wins at game end by amassing 100 or move VP while not losing more than 50 CVP. Points are gained by inflicting CVP, exiting off the west edge and controlling multi-hex buildings. One designated factory location is worth 15 VP by itself.

As the scenario defender, Dan would command the men of the 17th Infantry Division. This force would consist of 5 x 4-5-8's, 6 x 4-5-7's, 4 x 4-3-7's, 2 x 2-4-8's, and a 2-2-8 led by a 10-2, 8-1, 8-0 and 7-0 with 2 x HMG's, 2 x MMG's, 3 x ATR's, 2 x 40 MTR's, a field phone and 37L AT Gun.







And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:


"The Poles have to stop the Germans from exiting and capturing multi-hex buildings.  Or inflict casualties over 50 CVP.  The easiest way is to knock out the AFVs worth 37 CVP with their crews and AL.  The AVFs all have 1 AF which makes them vulnerable to ATRs and MGs.  The Poles will set up a series of mutually supporting fortified buildings mostly for MG positions.  All with 4-5-8 squads.  The 10-2 will set up in W5 and the 8-1 will set up in V8 both with HMGs.  While the 8-0 will set up in Z5 with a MMG and the other MMG will be in V3.  The final fortified building will be AA2 with a 4-5-8 and ATR.  A 4-5-7 and ATR will set up in Z3 and W3.  The AT gun will cover the other flank from W7.  The 7-0 with field phone will set up in Level 2 of CC2 (overlay).  HIP HS will set up in the cellars of EE2, EE5 and DD7 to deny capture of those buildings, although good use of mop up will void this tactic. The final HS will set up HIP in V0 to ambush any units making a board edge creep.  The MTRs will set up in the graveyard and Z9.  Hopefully the vehicles will be easy to kill and the Germans will hit the CVP early."


My plan was to use my Turn 1 Pre-Registered OBA hex for a smoke FFE to block line of sights for the Poles in the north center. My force in the north would send a tank and 2 half-squads to probe Dan's left flank. Meanwhile my two mortars and Armored Car would opportunity fire and wait for Poles to reveal themselves. Then my southern force would Schwerpunkt forward and reach the southern factory location, exit any surviving tanks and then pivot and clear buildings to the north.

My boys prepare for the tough fight ahead.

Turn 1 German - my smoke barrage lands and blocks Dan's AT Gun...although I do not that at this time. Dan's 10-2 with an HMG make his presence known. I have a couple breaks and a pins, but otherwise move successfully.



Turn 1 went well for the Germans. A Polish half-squad on the south edge was eliminated and the way forward was open.

"Willi..? How's it look to the west?" "Looks good Uwe!"


Turn 2  German - the advance continues. Polish mortars open up in the north and my attack there stalls. This was just a feint at any rate, but I was risking a tank, which wasn't the smartest thing to do given the CVP cap. My mortars would go on an epic rate of fire tear and get two critical hits on Dan's 10-2 in a fortified location. One of my 5-4-8's would successfully place a DC on the 10-2's location for the breach attempt while one of my tanks put a VBM slee...freeze on that unit. My DC would fail to breach the building...drats...

I would also lose the armored car to a Molotov and another tank to an ATR shot. I was making progress, but it was slow going.

Dan's boys were making good use of their 5 fortified locations.


As my part of Turn 2 ended, I was in control of the row house overlay and still pressing the 10-2 stack.



Dan's 10-2 would attempt to destroy his VBM freezing tank, but we ended in MELEE. I began to pull my infantry away from the 10-2 and reinforce my control of the Row house overlay, while my main force worked to exit the tanks and use the infantry to take real estate.

Dan's 10-2 would put up a helluva fight!


Turn 3 - German - I had lost three tanks and the armored car. Dan's 10-2 finally knocked out the VBM freeze tank. I had passed the half-way point towards my CVP cap, but was taking building locations. My remaining three tanks would exit along with the 9-1 Armor Leader. 



As my part of Turn 3 ended, I was in control of numerous building locations, had exited the three tanks, inflicted some CVP on the Poles and was preparing to take the 15 VP factory location. Things were looking good. My sniper had also been very active and broken and/or pinned multiple Polish units. 


My high firepower kill stacks were tough to stop.


As Turn 3 ended, the Poles were falling back and the south was pretty much in German control.


At the conclusion of Turn 3 - Dan offered the concession. I was a little surprised, but Dan and I ran the math and it was definitely looking like a German win in the next two turns. The Poles were simply too weak to both hold the center and counter-attack to retake locations now controlled by the Germans. So we called it game and my Germans had the win. My thanks to Dan for a great game and most especially for his support, counsel, advice, encouragement and above all friendship over the past many months. Playing ASL with Dan has allowed me to keep from plunging into some real despair as I tried to find my next job. I truly cannot thank Dan enough. 

My Germans had won a tough city fight with some high firepower and lucky rolls. My dice have calmed down over the past few games and that has really been helpful. 






And now for Dan's Post-Game Comments:


"The plan did not work.  A German Schwerpunkt on the south board edge got three tanks and the 9-1 AL to exit.  While the Poles did kill four tanks, two with MOL, one with ATR and another in CC.  The German infantry cleared the Poles from several buildings and could easily move through the fortified buildings toward the victory area.  It did not help that the Poles drew two red cards and got no OBA.  Well played by Grumble Jones with an excellent armored assault.  Congrats to Grumble Jones on the urban assault win!"


Dan and I will return next Saturday for 
the final "Our Saturday Game" 
to be played in Quincy...


We will see you then!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations I hope all goes well and it's always easier to get a different job when you already have one so Oklahoma may not be the end of the world!!

    ReplyDelete