Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Our Monday Game - ASL Scenario 148 Ramsey's Charge

Growing up in the '60's and '70's...movies and TV shows about the US Cavalry were on all the time. One of my first toy soldier sets was a tin lithographed Fort Apache by MARX. I absolutely loved US Cavalry figures. My MARX Captain Maddox action figure saw a lot of action as I grew up. Sadly these wonderful toys did not survive my childhood. I was hard on toys and actually played with them. These items would be quite valuable today...but they were made to be played with and they can rest peacefully now in toy soldier heaven...happier than the toys that never left the box. 


My Fort Apache carry all was simply awesome. My mother would always put down for an afternoon nap so she could watch a soap opera. I would stealthily sneak my Fort Apache out of the closet and engage in battle on my bed until I got caught...which was usually all the time. I'm sorry battles are loud...what can I say...


My Captain Maddox was one of all-time favorite toys growing up. I had a horse that came with my MARX Silver Knight, which Maddox conscripted for use on the frontier. 

My brother had General Custer...but he was a dandy and not a hard bitten Indian fighter like Maddox. 

In addition to Maddox, my brother and I also had Johnny West, Jimmy West and Geronimo. 

Personally, I'm so grateful that I grew up in that era where movies and toys were focused more on history and historical figures and heroes. 

I'm not a fan of the super hero nonsense that fills the movie screens these days. How is any child really able to look up to or emulate Green Lantern, the Flash, Iron Man...

Nope my heroes were Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett, Francis Marion...the Swamp Fox...better known today as Mel Gibson.

Our media culture of the '60's and '70's may not have been dedicated to historical accuracy, but you certainly were exposed to history in a way that seems to no longer exist in our society. And again personally, I think this is unfortunate for our society and for historical wargaming in particular.

Ok back to our regularly scheduled AAR. It was Dan's turn to pick the scenario and he would choose ASL Scenario 148 Ramsey's Charge from the Rising Sun. Designed by Rick Thomas, this scenario depicts the epic charge at Morong, The Philippines by the 26th Regiment, Philippine Scouts. 

The elite 26th would bedevil the Japanese throughout the early days of the invasion. The 26th would deliver an outstanding performance despite the odds against them. Japanese air and armor were particularly tough on the 26th. 

Lt. Edwin Ramsey would lead the charge at Morong that successfully drove back the Japanese and given the Philippine defenders a brief respite.

This would be the last formally recognized cavalry charge by United States forces until US Special Forces went into mounted combat in Afghanistan.



I cringe at the difficulty of any general staff officers tasked with figuring out how to invade and conquer the Philippines. The logistics involved with so many individual islands would paralyze me!!


As the defending Japanese, I would command the men of the IJA 14th Army. My force would consist of 4 x 2-3-7's which would set up next to the Board 35 Pagoda and be marked CX. Worse still, on Turn 1 if they Defensive fired against a charging US unit, that roll would also be their morale check.

Set up in the river, I would have 2 x 4-4-7's and a 3-4-7 led by an 8-0. On Turn 2, I would receive 6 x 4-4-7's , 3 x 3-4-7's and a 2-2-8 led by a 10-1 and 9-1 with an MMG, 3 x LMG's and 2 x 50 MTR's.

As the scenario attacker, Dan would command the men of E Troop, 26th Cavalry Regiment Philippine Scouts. This force would consist of 11 x 6-6-7's led by a 9-2 (Lt. Edwin Ramsey), a 9-1, 8-1 and 8-0 with an MMG, 4 x LMG's and 11 stands of horses. This outstanding unit would leave a lasting legacy of valor, rarely equaled in the dark, early days of the Japanese Invasion of the Philippines. Their courageous effort continues to offer the best example of standing against impossible odds.



To learn more about the 26th Cavalry Philippine Scouts, I highly recommend The Doomed Horse Soldiers of Bataan, by Raymond Woolfe. A very detailed account of the 26th prior to, during the invasion and after the defeat. Well worth your time.








A look a the battle space. To win the US forces must control the Pagoda on Board 35 and 40Q1 beside the foot bridge.






And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:

"The Americans must secure one building and the southern bridge entrance hex.  The initial platoon will deploy two squads.  Two HS will charge the Japanese HS around the victory building.  The other two HS will move in to cut rout paths for the broken Japanese HS.  The 9-2 leader will lead the squads with LMG to attack the victory building.  the 8-1 will lead a squad to the river bank and cover keep the Japanese reinforcements from crossing the river.  Once the victory building is secure the units will move on to secure the bridge followed by the reinforcements.  Hopefully, several Japanese units will be caught in the river and eliminated."


"Forward HO!!!"


;

I placed my CX guys around the Pagoda as per the SSR and my other boys in the river. My plan was to just concede the Pagoda and put all my resources to holding Hex 40Q1. 

My boys on the road...were just going to have to take their future beating on their own.


Turn 1- Dan's boys come charging into the battle. I fire with my boys in the road and break all three of them with 2 x 10's and a 9. Ridiculous...I had -1 shots and couldn't get a single decent roll. This game wears me out sometimes. My guy in the Pagoda did not shoot any charging boys. He got a shot and a break on a dismounting 3-4-8. So it wasn't totally one-sided...close but not quite.



Dan's charges resulted in 2 KIA's of my 2-3-7's. One was broken and the one in the Pagoda was still in good shape. My plan here was just to delay and obstruct. I knew I couldn't hold the objective, but slowing Dan's advance to the bridge was critical.

Turn 1 Japanese - my boys on the north bank get out of the river and survive US fire. My boys in the Pagoda retreat away and avoid getting shot by the 9-2 kill stack. 

Living to fight another day was my plan.


By the end of Turn 1, I had given up the Pagoda and was hoping to interdict the US Cavalry as they moved through the open ground approaches to the foot bridge.

Turn 2 US - Dan moves forward and a brief firefight occurs. Dan secures the Pagoda and is halfway to victory.




Turn 2 Japanese - my reinforcement race to the bridge while my 10-1 takes a position to cover the bridge and my heavy weapons scale the hill.



Turn 3 US - Dan's reinforcements prepare to enter the battle.



Dan pushes to the river bank and makes his first sprint to the victory location. Japanese fire is accurate enough to stop the drive to the bridge.



Turn 2 - Japanese - my mortars and MMG finally get into the fight. I attempt to cross the bridge with my 9-1 and a squad. Dan KIA's both of them.



A look at our lines.

Turn 3 US - Dan moves to attack the bridge.



Another look at the lines. Dan is very nearly in control of the second and final victory location.

"The troop is nearly there Tyree!"


My Japanese get some very good hits with their machine guns and mortars. The 8-0 stack on the left is broken and the only unbroken squad goes Berserk. Meanwhile, Ramsey the 9-2 breaks and will later wound. This loss staggers the US attack.




Turn 4 - US - Dan drives for the bridge again. His Berserk squad is KIA'd running toward the bridge.

The US line finally controls the south side of the river and the victory location.




But in gaining control, Dan's units are then blasted and broken by Japanese fire.



We skip ahead to Turn 6 Japanese. My boys successfully Banzai across the bridge, regain control of the victory hex and eliminate 3-4-8. The US only have 1 more movement phase left to try and take it back.




Turn 7 - US - Dan makes his last desperate charge to take back the victory location. Japanese machine guns open up and succeed in pinning the US forces. Unable to advance to take the victory location, Dan offered the concession and the Japanese had won an improbable victory. The strategy of moving everything to hold the bridge worked out in the end. The hill top positions of the MMG and mortars provided just enough defensive punch to blunt the US attack. My thanks to Dan for one of the more fun PTO games that I have played. This is a really interesting scenario. I would highly recommend it, if you have not yet played it.


 

My Japanese could  now continue their advance towards Manila.







And now for Dan's Post-Game Comments:


"The plan did not work.  The victory building was captured without much trouble.  The Americans captured the bridge entrance hex, but took a beating on the exposed troops around the bridge.   The Japanese pulled back their river crossing and set up a good fire base with the reinforcements.  After a sustained fire fight the Japanese launched a turn 6 banzai which recaptured the bridge entrance hex.  The American counter attack was pinned in turn 7 and could not recapture the hex.  Well played by Grumble Jones!  He maintained his Japanese force and inflicted casualties on the Americans for a late game recapture of the victory hex.  This scenario is a great game of maneuver with fire and movement being the key to victory.  Congrats to Grumble Jones on his well deserved victory!"




Dan and I will saddle up and return next week!


We will see you then!

1 comment:

  1. I, too, had the Fort Apache Carry All play set when I was a kid and loved it. What a blast from the past. Thanks for making my day!

    ReplyDelete