Friday, May 15, 2020

Our Thursday Game - ASL Scenario 88 - Art Nouveau

At the conclusion of our game Saturday, Dan and I talked about upcoming game nights. With the stay at home orders still in effect in Illinois, there are a lot of places to visit...not that Quincy, IL was full of them to start with. So the opportunity to work in a few extra games seemed like a good idea. So Dan and I went ahead and scheduled a game for Thursday night. Dan had done some research and pre-selected ASL Scenario 88, which despite it's 8-1/2 turns is a fast play scenario. 

ASL Scenario 88 - Art Nouveau (designed by Phillipe Leonard) is found in the Doomed Battalions module. I haven't really played  a lot of the scenarios involving the Minor Allies. Just never got around to it for the most part. 

But like West of Alamein, Dan and I intend to play through these as well. I anticipate enjoying them much more than the desert.

A quick look at ROAR has this scenario with 30 German and 47 Belgian wins.  As Dan and I will be playing the 3rd Edition version of the scenario, there doesn't appear to be anything on the ASL Archive currently. 

The Belgians set up everything HIP. I personally hate HIP stuff. It's rough for the player on the receiving end of the sudden appearance of an HMG with 9-2 officer as you move into the open. So I imagine that has a bit to do with the higher number of Belgian wins.

Historically, the Belgians had established a road block to halt the German advance to Chabrehez. The understrength Belgians set up a strong position, but were understrength and well outnumbered by the Germans who were under the direction of Rommel himself. And despite a valiant effort, the Belgian strongpoint was overcome and the Germans continued their blitz through Belgium.

A look at the battle space. The Belgians set up on Board 32 within 5 hexes of 32E5. Additionally, the Belgians must draw 3 cards from a 10 card deck with 5 blacks and 5 reds. Each red removes a counter from the Belgian OOB and each black adds one from a reinforcement pool. This is all kept secret from the German player. The Belgians then set up HIP and await the roar of German BMW motorcycles. 

The roll for sides would bestow the Belgians into my hands. I would command the men of the 10eme Compagnie Motorcyclists, 3e Regiment de Chausseurs Ardennais. I would have a roadblock, which would when taken by the Germans would signal the end of the scenario. My force would consist of 6 x 4-5-8's led by a 9-2 and 8-0 with an MMG and 50MTR with a T-15 Tank. The reinforcement pool would consist of a 4-5-8, 9-1, MMG and 2 x T-15 Tanks. I would draw my three cards. I drew a red and 2 blacks. I would discard a 4-5-8 and take the 2 x T-15 Tanks. I considered taking the 9-1 and MMG, but felt that the two tanks would give me the firepower needed to hold the roadblock. We shall see how that works out for me!

As the attacking Germans, Dan would command the men of the Kleinschmidt Kompanie, Kradschuetzen-Battalion 7. Is Dave Kleinschmidt aware that he has own personal company of German motorcycle troops...?? Anyway, I digress. This force would consist of 12 x 4-6-7's led by a 9-2, 9-1 and 8-1 with an MMG, 3 x LMG's, and an ATR. These fine fellows would all be mounted on motorcycles. On Turn 4, Dan would receive 3 tanks. Oh and he also gets a '39 Fighter Bomber. 




And Now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:

“The Germans must clear the Belgian infantry and tanks from around a road block and clear the roadblock then exit 12 move VP than they lose in CVP.  This is a tall order because the Belgians are elite and have good armor on their tanks.  The plan is for the 9-2 and three squads with a MMG, LMG and ATR to gain the second level hill on board 3.  This over watch position will provide suppressing fire while the 9-1 and 8-1 each lead assault groups along the south half of the boards into the board 32 village.  The will attack to the roadblock and begin to try for clearing.  Hopefully the casualties can be kept of a even exchange in squads and tanks.”




The Belgians begin the game HIP, except for the Pillbox. The Germans enter as motorcycle riders.




Dan moved down the road and would discover the Belgians as they opened fire. After suffering some damage, the follow up troops would dismount behind the hills.

After Dan's Turn 1 movement phase, my Belgians were holding on to their original MLR.



I had MALF'd the MA on my rear most tank. I would destroy it in Rally and one of my tanks was Recalled.




Dan's 9-2 would take up position in the backfield and pour fire down on me. I would relocate my own 9-2 to avoid taking hits from that position.




Turn 2 would see some German movement forward, but the Belgian MLR was holding.


Turn 3 - Dan's 9-2 would move forward.





Dan would make some decent progress and go into CC with my 4-5-8 in the Pillbox. This would begin a turns long struggle that would end with the Belgians eventually surviving.




My recalled tank would create a trail break (without bogging...when I actually needed it to bog...figures). This would give Dan's armor an easy way around my roadblock at the end of the game. You can thank me later Dan!!!




I would move another tank away from the front line to head back to my roadblock.


Turn 4 - Dan's armor arrives.


Turn 4 would see a big time advance by Dan's Germans. My MLR was facing its stiffest test up to this point in the scenario.

I had managed to throw Dan back in places, but he still managed to get into close combat with me.


I would make a critical mistake. My 9-2 would dash for a house further back as I looked to set up a second MLR. Dan's 9-2 caught me and I would pay with a wounded 9-2 and an ELR'd squad. My MMG would never fire again.

"Good shooting Dieter...you nailed them!!"


Close combat is usually an area of our games where Dan dominates. We would both struggle to finish off Close Combats and we would also both roll snake eyes in CC. I would actually do it twice in this game.


Dan's Fighter Bomber finally showed up, but would fail to do any damage.



Getting strafed is never fun...but I would come out of it ok.




Back on the ground, Dan was making good progress. 


Close combat continued to rage.


Dan's plane would attempt another attack, but fail the sighting check.

The final picture of the battle. Dan would successfully exit three tanks. I had managed to get 17 CVP vs. Dan's 18 VP. With the roadblock still intact and with too few Belgians left for Dan to get the 12 or more VP needed to win, it was game over. We had played 8 turns and fought a real nail biter. But the heavy losses sustained by the German infantry in the early turns would give the Belgians the win.





And now for Dan's Post-Game Comments:
“The plan did not work.  The Germans took high casualties and particularly lost several key CC attacks.  While the tanks made up the loss by knocking out two Belgian tanks with no losses and were able to exit.  The Germans did not have enough VP for a win.  Great defense by Grumble Jones.  This scenario is fun with variable set up forces for the Belgians for replay value.  My thanks to Grumble Jones for a hard fought scenario.  Congrats on a great win.”




My thanks to Dan for a great game. It was definitely a game to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment