Monday, September 7, 2026

2026 Grumbler Invitational Tournament


Sitting at home on Labor Day thinking about many thinks...my current job search, family concerns & health, and reflecting on my own personal ASL journey. August as the 10th Anniversary of Dan Best and I embarking on our epic journey to playing 1000 games. We are currently sitting at 935 games. August was a very long break from ASL. At the end of July I was not happy with my ASL game play (dice rolls primarily). I was 2-8 in the last 10 games that Dan and I had played. My dice were so bad...that I was literally altering my game play in such a way that I simply didn't take shots...especially with concealed units. I was definitely experience a confidence funk. Dan and I both use Battle School precision dice. But for whatever reason, Dan gets average to good rolls, which I had been getting average to bad. I had to take action for myself...so purchased a new C4 Labs Dice Tower. I rolled dice in at throughout the day at my desk and was pleased with the variation in rolls...the constant 6's and 5's went to a more normal distribution. I felt ready to play again as I drove up to Kansas City for this year's Grumbler tournament. 


The first Grumbler was held in 2024 at my home in Tulsa. Just 4 of us playing 3 rounds over 2 days with spouses included. A big part of this tourney was to spend time in the middle of the day sharing a meal. Day 1 was German food at Siegis and Day 2 was Mexican at Abeulos. Great food and time together. Since, we had plenty of bedrooms...everyone stayed at a home...so breakfast, snacks allowed us a lot of time to visit. And we capped off Day 2 watching Twister. 


In 2025...we took the Grumbler to the Hollis Center in Kansas City. This allowed us the space to have 8 participants. This limitation is the primary reason for the "invitational" nature of this tournament. And secondarily, the small size is part of the experience as well. Everyone knows everyone else and have played each other on many occasions. The tournament swag is also a big part of the experience...an effort is made to provide a lot of little things and make the event fun in that way. Dice glasses, 50 caliber bullet pens, Lego Mini-Figs, stickers, York Peppermint Patties and Trail Mix and Chessex Dice. 


Each player received a different WWII themed Lego Mini-Fig from Brix Krieg. These are fantastic figures and really fun to have around. They will remain an ongoing swag item for future tournaments.

As for attendee size...it will remain at 8 going into 2027. And invitations are legacy, so those folks who have attended in the past have the first opportunity to confirm participation. 


The 2026 Grumbler Invitational Tournament is in the can. Many thanks to the Kansas ASL Club and the Hollis Center for supporting this small tournament. This year's attendees: Paul Works, Dave Mareske, Dan Best, Scott Martin, Richard Burton, Jim Burris, Tom Meier, Nathan Wegener and Grumble Jones. The winners and prizes awarded as follow:

1st Place - Nathan Wegener (winner of the reproduction German Stick Grenade)

2nd Place - Scott Martin  (winner of the reproduction German Stahlhelm.)

Winner of the Schatzgraber - Paul Works 

Most Close Combat MMC KIA's - Paul Works 

Most Prisoners Taken - Nathan Wegener

Most Snake Eyes Rolled - Paul Works 

Most AFV's Knocked Out - Dave Mareske 

Most MMC KIA's - Nathan Wegener

Most Sniper KIA's - Jim Burris

Most Boxcars Rolled - Paul Works 


The Hollis Center Welcome Center is the location for the tournament and comfortable allows for 4 tables with 8 participants. A full kitchen allows for cold drinks, and the baking of pizzas in the evening. Additionally, plenty of great walking space as you let your opponent prepare their defense or spending 30 minutes practicing their attack on your defense...(a pet peeve of mine about defending at tournaments). 

 

Here are the scenarios available for play at this year's Grumbler. As most readers of this blog are aware...I'm a big fan of Rally Point and Schwerpunkt. I expect 2027 to be very similar. This year's Rounds were by Year, 1943, 1944 and 1945. All selected scenarios are 1 or 2 boards, no OBA, No Aircraft, No Night, No Overlays and an attempt is made to find scenarios none of the attendees have listed as played on the ASL Archive records. This batch of 18 was remarkably new to most all of the attendees. 

Removing some of the chrome that slows down setup, or adds to rule complexity and can sometimes disrupt balance between players...such as night, allows for a more consistent play experience for everyone and I believe it enhances the fun factor for all the participants. Balance is also a consideration...but secondary. Obviously unbalanced scenarios..ie 20 wins to 2 losses are not considered but 20 wins to 11 losses would make the cut. 

Next year's Grumbler will have rounds based on situations...a bridge fight, hill fight, urban...along those lines. Tentative dates are September 4th and 5th...2027.

Here are some pictures from this year's event and some AI edits to commemorate a great weekend of ASL.













Congrats to Nathan on a great win after finishing second last year. And congrats to Scott Martin who filled in for Jim Burris, who was unable to attend the Championship Round due to a funeral. Jim, thanks making the time to attend and we are thinking about you.



That's a wrap on this weekend's happenings in Kansas! Dan Best and I'll will be back to gaming again shortly...so AAR's on on the way and next month's Halloween Scenario...




No comments:

Post a Comment