Sunday, October 22, 2023

OUR 500th GAME!!!

Here we are at last...our 500th Game! A journey of ten years of cardboard combat has brought us to this amazing point in time. Incredibly, Dan Best and I have averaged 50 games a year. Of course, we missed a couple years of play, notably 2014-2015, where we didn't play at all. So, the reality is that we played 500 games from 2016 to the current day. 

Our ASL journey began in June 2013 at the Texas Team Tournament. My first ever tournament and the first time that I ever played competitive ASL with complete strangers. But there was, scared diceless as I joined a four player playing of a Winter Meleel I controlled the Partisans and was teamed up with Doyle Motes and Mike Bistodeau against Dan Best with the Germans. I put in a solid effort with the Partisans and managed to push the Germans off the heights and into the village where Mike's paratroopers would eventually take them down. Doyle's Cavalry were very nearly slaughtered, but kept up enough pressure to allow Mike's boys to get down and into the village. A very fun game and a great way to get over my insecurity at playing with new people. Frankly, I'm not always up for playing against new people...as Dan can attest. Dan is the more gregarious player and a real ambassador of the game. I could not begin to count the number of people that Dan has brought into our hobby.


What led me to finally go to my first tournament?  For many years, I played with my high school buddies from St. Louis, MO. We played a ton of Squad Leader and did several massive DYO scenarios including a giant Kursk map, a Cherkassy Pocket CG, a custom map of Webster Groves, MO and many other assorted scenario ideas including a three player Russian, German and British game as all three attempted to secure Third Reich Gold deposits at the end of the war. Still one of my absolute favorite games. I was the Germans trying to stop the Russians from crossing a bridge and deal with parachuting British squads. My SS were holding their own with an 75L AT Gun in the woods. I was picking off Russian tank after Russian Tank. My buddy Pat (US Army Tanker and Kansas State Trooper retired) finally got ticked off and sent his Cossacks charging across the bridge and into the woods. They cut my SS Grenadiers to pieces. One of the most exciting moments I have experienced in our game. Pat was one of the absolute craziest players I ever played with. He didn't care a lick about losses as long as took you out!!!


Red Barricades - New Year's Eve 1992 (O'Fallon, MO) Pat (standing), Scott Waites, and Mike would be my best friends from age thirteen until nearly the present day. Pat and Scott and I spent the hot summer of 1985 unloading tractor trailers for Overnite Transportation. Those long summer nights bonded us like that saying in the TV Series Justified "We dug coal together". Well...we broke trailers together and with Peabody Coal's barge loading landing just down the road, our noses would be filled with coal dust at the end of shift. Midnight runs to White Castles at Grand and Gravois Avenue would give us many more memories of the crazy & disturbed side of south St. Louis. Pat would end up on CNN one night. After the army (He was at Ft. Irwin and attached to the fake Russians who soundly defeated other American units training against them.) Ater the army, he was on the wing assembly line in Wichita for 747's. During a strike, a strike-breaker hit him with a car and he rolled over the top live on camera (unhurt and famous!).  A few years ago, he ran as a Republican for Kansas Congressman. Politics is the only area where he and I differ. Such differences aside, he's a brother for life. 

Many of you are familiar with Scott, as he is my long standing STL opponent. We have spent hours and days playing ASL from 1989 to the present day. Scott and I also shared other interests, which included Saturday morning Raquetball at the free outdoor courts in St. Louis' amazing Forest Park. And together we hiked many...many miles of the Ozark Trail in southeastern Missouri.


Scott always led the way on our hikes. Great, great memories of our youth spent trekking the wilds of Missouri. In 1993, we attempted to hike in the Moniteau Wilderness (north of Columbia, MO). We were going to find the site of Omar Bradley's birthplace home as well as an old Indian graveyard in that area. Well...the summer of 1993 was a pretty terrible time in Missouri. The flood of '93 was just beginning. And Scott and I found ourselves in a downpour that quickly turned the area into a morass and filled the dry ravines with torrential waters. Scott became hypothermic and disoriented. We turned back and during a ravine crossing, he slipped and went under the fast-raging water. We got out and just as we neared our car, he passed out. Scared the hell of out me. I got him to Columbia and got some food in him and got back to St. Louis as fast as we could. Thankfully, all was well...but lesson learned. I never hike anywhere without a rain poncho. Never again. Hypothermia is no joke. Today Scott is a nearly 30 year veteran of NGA and contributes daily to America's defense.

And lastly, my buddy Mike, who was part of my D&D crew for ages. He brought the energy and the imagination that turned my ideas as a DM into some of the greatest game memories ever. D&D was always Mike's first passion. He played SL and ASL with us, but it didn't feed his soul the way D&D did and does. Mike went on to hump an M-60 at Ft. Leonard Wood, before going to Law School and ending up working with Scott at NGA. Pretty proud of all these guys. 


Over the years, I have been fortunate to play SL/ASL with a number of people. During my senior year of high school, I played every day after school with Brandt. Brandt would never play the Germans and was a super methodical player (slow...achingly slow). Great guy who never missed a shot, because...well how could he. Brandt and I played a lot GI Anvil of Victory until he got a '70 Mustang and a girlfriend...and that was the last I saw of Brandt.

In college, Squad Leader would take a very interesting turn. During my freshman year, I briefly dated a wonderful girl who was also from St. Louis. She was also seeing another guy, Sean. Long story short she made a choice and Sean won. Then my sophomore year, who should be in the room across from me...yep Sean...so joy...I could see more of Sarah. But then one day, Sean came in and saw us playing Squad Leader. And before you knew it, Sean had all the modules and was a frequent opponent...much to Sarah's consternation. Sean's roommate was Bruce and a burly football player. One day in casual conversation, he told me that last year some dude had been competing with Sean for Sarah's attention. Bruce's response when I told him that had been me was priceless. That big dude laughed his ass off and kept the secret. I couldn't afford to lose a great Squad Leader Player!!

In 1989, I finally made the switch to ASL. I had been furious at having to replace all my kit and learn more rules (I hate rules...hate'em). In those days, Scott W., my STL opponent was keen to learn ASL and play it right. We of course did not...but we tried and would play faithfully until 1996, when I moved away from St. Louis.

For 13 years, ASL would be a distant memory. Then in 2010, I convinced Scott to play ASL over SKYPE. He was super excited and we played 24 games that year. But 2011 would be fewer, 2012 would be still fewer and 2013 had begun with very few games. Scott was cancelling a lot...poor internet, sick, or otherwise engaged.  (2023 would be the first year with no games with Scott.) This was the catalyst for me to decide to attend the Texas Team Tournament. I needed to grow my ASL skills and keep the game going forward. Texas gave me that in spades.


Joining Game Squad also gave me another great opponent...Chris Brackney, aka Big Kansas. Chris and I would play every Friday evening over the course of a year and a half. We would play and complete the Pegasus Bridge and Purple Heart draw CG's. Both remain some of the very best ASL that I have ever played. I learned a ton from Chris and will never forget our epic playing of Pegasus Bridge. Just the penultimate ASL experience.





Big Kansas and Grumble Jones played the Pegasus Bridge CG from February 2014 - September 2014. It was an all-consuming experience. I went to and from work each day planning my next moves. I went through a small bit of withdrawal when the game finally ended. I absolutely loved it and the game ended with both of us locked in Melee in the Schoolhouse. If I had won the close combats, I would have won that CG. It was that close and I cannot recommend this game more. In my opinion, it quite simply the best made ASL experience.

After finishing my game time, with Big Kansas, I kind of wandered a bit and managed to get in a few games with Scott Holst out of Chicago. We had some fun games, before scheduling issues brought an end to our games.

So in 2016, I was in need of a consistent opponent, who wanted to play Cardboard via SKYPE. In August I attended a Kanas City ASL club games day. Dan Best and I would reconnect and after that, we began playing "Our Saturday" Game series...and here we are at 500 games. I cannot overstate the blessing it is to have a consistent opponent who loves to play the game as much as I do. And Dan and I are very evenly matched. So, we trade wins and losses and push each other to improve both our game play and our understanding of the rules. And through the Grumble Jones blog, we have memorialized our games into a staggering number of AAR's. Well over 300 AAR's have been published. This will be our enduring contribution to the game we both love...ASL.


Another great thing about our gaming collaboration has been all the other players that I have had the opportunity to play against...Dave Mareske, Paul Works, Richard Burton, Mike Bistodeau, Roy Connelly, David Longstreet, Jim Burris, Alex Key, Craig Walters, Wes Vaugn, Scott Martin, Burnie Hegdahl, Ryan Ellett, Doyle Motes, Jeff Ital, Dave Ginnard and many, many others. 


I shudder to imagine my ASL life had I not made that trip to Texas...



Thanks for sticking with me through all this remembering. My journey to this 500th game has been an amazing one for me personally. And I wanted to take a moment to remember the people, the opponents and the friends who made this journey possible and an epic experience.



So, what does one play for a 500th game?? I deferred to Dan on this question, and he picked MM17 Busting the Bocage. This is a Normandy-Bocage scenario on DASL Boards! It was perfect for me, DASL, Normandy and I got to be the Germans...what was not to love!?!


It was doubly great that that is was a March Madness Scenario! Designed by Paul Works, this scenario is set in Normandy in early August. 

As long-time readers know, Normandy is my favorite campaign. And I especially love to play the defending Germans in these scenarios. Good machine guns, range, Panzerfausts...it's just all good when defending as the Germans in the Bocage.

As Dan dislikes both Bocage and playing the Americans, I was very appreciative that he picked this scenario.

Please note that there is important Errata on the ASL Archive regarding the German force and setup instruction. It's critical information for playing the scenario.



As the defending Germans I would command elements of the 363rd Infantry Division supported by Stürmgeschutz Brigade 394. My force would consist of 6 x 4-6-7's, 4 x 4-4-7's, and 2 x 2-2-8's led by a 9-1, 8-1 and 2 x 8-0's with an HMG, MMG, 3 x LMG's, a 50 MTR, Radio with 80mm OBA, a 50L AT Gun and a 75L AT Gun and a STUG.



As the attacking Americans, Dan would command elements of the 1st Battalion, 115th Infantry Regiment, 29th Inf Division and 1st Battalion, 66th Armored Regiment, 2nd Armored Division. This force would consist of 6 x 6-6-7's, and 10 x 6-6-6's led by a 9-1, 8-1, 2 x 8-0's, and a 7-0 with a 50 CAL, 4 x MMG's, 60 MTR, 4 x BAZ 44's and 4 Shermans with an 8-1 Armor Leader.




And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:


"The Americans must attack in bocage country and clear two crossroads without hitting a CVP cap or exiting a CVP number.  The plan is to attack in the center with two kill stacks lead by the 9-1 and 8-1 with all the MGs.  Hopefully the tanks can support without running up the CVP total."


The biggest challenge as the defending Germans is establishing an MLR that can slow the Americans down and survive the obscene amount of Firepower they can bring down on you. At one point in the game, one of Dan's kill stacks would hit me with 52 Fire Power. I didn't survive it. 



With such a small hex frontage, Dan was able to attach across the entire front.



A quick game note. I would place the DX6 Overlay incorrectly. We would correct this during the Turn 1 Movement Phase.




Turn 1 American - Dan would advance across the entire front. My HMG and MMG would break up two attacking platoons.

"Die Amis kommen!"

Dan's 9-1 and 8-1 would command his primary kill stacks. They would mass huge firepower. I truly couldn't stand toe to toe with them. But of course, firing wasn't moving, so these 6 squads would move up slowly as a result.




Dan's Shermans were equipped with the Cullin hedgerow cutters. Dan would successfully breach the Bocage on three occasions...but such breaching would cost all of the tank's movement points. This would again slow down the American assault.



The tank fight would quickly start to go towards the German's favor. My PAK 40 would knock out a Sherman and a second would fall to a Panzerfaust. The squad would not survive the American return fire. My 50L AT Gun crew would die when I rolled a 12 on an MC. The gun would then receive a direct hit from a Sherman and be destroyed.



As Dan worked to cross the road, I would skulk and reposition to maintain my MLR and stay out of the line of fire of his two kill stacks.



By the end of Turn 4, things had gone badly for the Americans. Dan had successfully taken control of one of the K3 victory location, but other progress had stalled. All of the American tanks were knocked out and the Americans had sustained over 35 CVP.  Given these facts and the ability of the Germans to hold the other victory location, maintain 8 FP on the road and deny the Americans an opportunity to exit caused Dan to throw in the towel and concede. While I had lost over two squads, my force was still strong enough to maintain a consistent line. My STUG had gotten into position to take out one Shermans and slow Dan's infantry. My thanks to Dan for a great game 500th game. 







And now for Dan's Post Game Comments:


"The plan did not work.  All the tanks were lost with crews and the Americans hit the CVP cap with only one crossroad taken.  The Germans had great advantage in the bocage terrain.  Congrats to Grumble Jones on a great defense and well-deserved win.  My thanks for another great game of ASL!"


And now for Dan's thoughts on 500 Games:

"In 10 years, Grumble Jones and I have played out first 500 games.  Finding a regular opponent in ASL is important to getting to play ASL.  Regular play of 50 games a year allows you to develop knowledge of the rules and practice of playing proficiently.  It also allows you to play a many of the different scenarios available.  With over 10,000 published scenarios ASL has scenarios for & with all combatants and in all parts of the world.  Finding someone to play with allows you to try all that variety of scenarios.  My thanks to Grumble Jones for a great first 500 games.  I am looking forward to our next 500!"



Ten years ago, I was at a crossroads in my life. Would I continue to play ASL at a high level or would I watch my opportunities to play diminish to nothing. 


I chose a new path and journeyed to Texas to see what I would see...


And what I would see would be more new opponents sitting across from me than I could ever have imagined.





















































As I look back on the past ten years...it's not the 500 games played with Dan, it's the opportunity to play this game we love with an entire community of players. I can look back with satisfaction on my ASL experience. It has been an incredible ride. I look forward to the next 500 games.

"I think therefore I am."
- Rene Descartes

"I live, because I have played Flying Turrets from Crucible of Steel and I have been to Kahill's Breakfast Buffet with my fellow ASL'rs"
- Grumble Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment