Sunday, May 7, 2023

Our games RPT99 Rock the CSABA, ASL 280 Agony at Arnautovo and FT274 Bear Valley


Every now again, a good weekend becomes a great weekend! What might cause that? You might ask. Well playing three games of ASL is of course the right answer!


Playing ASL was of course the number one answer followed closely by reading Grumble Jones blog posts!!! Not sure who they actually surveyed for this information. Guess you will just have to trust me on this one!






Our first game, played on Friday night would be RTP99 Rock the Csaba designed by Pete Shelling. This is a nice sized scenario set in 1944 as the Hungarians try to hold a town from the attacking Russians. 

At 5-1/2 turns, it's great for a weeknight game. Dan and I like to keep our Friday games to about 3 hours. We would play all 5-1/2 turns of this game between 5:00 PM and 8:30 PM. So, we keep it at the right amount of time. Dan and I don't rush each other through the phases, but we are both energetic in making our moves. ASL is not chess and shouldn't feel like chess. I've play against guys that take their time and look at every possible LOS and angle. Nothing wrong with that...but the game simulates two minutes of combat action...so keeping the game flowing feels like the right thing to do.



As the defending Hungarians, I would command the 51st Armored Gun Battalion. My force would consist of 6 x 3-4-7's,  3 x 3-3-6's. a 2-4-7 and a 2-2-7 led by an 8-1 and 7-0 with an HMG, ATR 8-1 Armor Leader, 2 x Nimrods, a Bofors 80L AA Gun and a 40M Csaba.



I couldn't resist...I have no self-control...


As the attacking Russians, Dan would command elements of the 203rd Rifle Division. His force would consist of 15 x 4-4-7's led by a 9-1, 8-0 and 7-0 with an HMG, LMG, ATR and 3 x SU-76's.


The Russians win at game end if there are no good order Hungarian MMC's in any building hex within five hexes of S5 (the bridge at center). The SU-76's enter from the west on Turn 2, while the other forces may set up on the west side and/or enter from the north edge. I would pull everyone east of the stream and dig in to defend against an attack from the north. Dan could come from the west. Oh well...




And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:


"The Russians must attack and clear both villages on board 59.  The Russians will use a Schwerpunkt from the west.  Looking at the Hungarian set up they are defending the eastern village and prepared for an attack from the north.  Hopefully the Russians can overrun the Hungarians and get into close combat."


I set up my 8-1 and HMG HIP on Level 1 beside the bridge. I would keep it HIP for most of the game. My Nimrods were set up to stop an attack from the north. My 80L AA Gun was set up to take on the SU-76's and cover the bridge approaches. I would use Bore Sighting for the first time in eons and get nothing out the effort.




Turn 1 Russian - Dan would move aggressively forward, but mostly out of my line of sight our out of my pathetic range.



Turn 2 -My boys would shift out of their north facing positions to fall back into the stone buildings and support a western facing defense.

Turn 2 Russian- Dan's SU-76's roll into the game. As the Hungarians, I wasn't sure if Panzerfausts were available to me. I would not even think of that during the game and neither did Dan. But I imagine in 1944, they are certainly available to the Hungarians. You'll need them.




We jump ahead a bit as the action around the bridge intensifies. Dan would come at me hard. My HMG remained HIP. A Russian squad entered the house during the battle right under my HIP HMG. My 80L AA Gun would fire and KIA the squad and fortunately not rubble the building...that would have been awkward.




My forces had done a good job of turning the open ground west of the stream into a killing ground, but time was against them and they were killed or broken by relentless Russian fire. Both of my Nimrods were knocked out. Two SU-76's would MALF their MA and then be recalled. This would be a huge assist to my beleaguered Hungarians.


 
With time running out, Dan's attacks grow in ferocity. I am forced to reveal my HIP HMG when an SU-76 runs into the stream alongside me. I would manage to stun the crew, but nothing more. Dan's Kill stack with his 9-1 would clobber my now revealed boys and force them back and ultimately out of the game.




My forces were holding, but I had lost both Nimrods and my 80L AT Gun. I was breaking at point of contact and did all I could to put up a defense at the edge of the stone buildings. 



The final turn and Dan's last desperate attack. He would hit me hard from the west and north, but my forces would hold and with that, the Hungarians would win the game. It had been a good, hard fight, but the situation is a bit pro-Hungarian. ROAR would seem to confirm this as well with 14 Russian and 22 Hungarian wins. That said, Dan very nearly won this game. A bit of luck here or there, and he would have secured the victory. This was a very fun scenario...which is normal for any Pete Shelling design. They are almost always fun scenarios to play.

And now for Dan's Post Game Comments:

The plan did not work.  While the SU-76s were able to win the armored battle with the Nimrods the infantry crossed the stream piecemeal and were defeated in detail.  The Hungarrians still had one concealed squad in the victory area for the win.  Congrats to Grumble Jones on the win.  Well played with a tight defense of the east village.  This defense is difficult for the Russian to beat.  My Thanks to Grumble Jones for a great game!



On to Game 2!!!


Our Second game, played on Saturday would be ASL 280 Agony at Arnautovo.


Once again, we play another scenario from the excellent Hollow Legions.  Designed by Mark Pitcavage, this is another of the scenarios that depict a bit of the agony endured by the Italians in the Stalingrad sector. Agony at Arnautovo depicts the Italians attemption to hold Arnautovo as they are beset by Russians and Russian Partisans.

This scenario appeared earlier as AP23 from the Few Returned Action Pack. Designed by Mark Pitcavage this scenario pack really captures the experiences of the Italian 8th Army in that horrible winter of 1942-1943.

The entire pack is very good, but also can be tough to play through without taking a break. The combat situations are very tough and the weather adds to the complexity. It's best to play a couple at a time and then take a break to less intense ASL. And it's a good idea to change up sides when you do play through these scenarios. But again, definitely give these scenarios a playing.


The battlefield is well imagined and remember to brush up on ground snow rules. They make going uphill and downhill a bit more difficult. So be prepared to go CX as needed. As someone who prefers to use the boards, I would love to someday be able to obtain winterized boards. Certainly, this is a great aspect of games over VASL. 

As the Italians, Dan would command elements of Battaglione Val Chiese, 6 Reggimento Alpini Battaglione Tirano, 5 Reggimento Aplini, Gruppo Artiglieria Bergamo, and 2 Divisione Alpini Tridentina. This force would consist of 16 x 4-4-7's, and 3 x 2-2-7's led by a 10-2, 2 x 8-1's, and 2 x 7-0's with an HMG, 2 x HMG's, 4 x LMG's, a Hero, a DC, a 47L AT Gun and 2 x 75*ART's.



As the Russians, I would command elements of 17th Tank Corps and Local Partisans. My force would consist of 3 x 4-5-8's, 9 x 4-4-7's and 5 x 3-3-7's led by a 9-1, 8-0, 7-0, and Partisan 8-1 with 2 x MMG's, 3 x LMG's, a DC and 2 x T-34's.







And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:


"The Italians must defend the town.  Ground snow will make moving up and down the hills difficult.  The main defense will be from the east with the 8-1, squad and HMG setting up HIP in 41DD1.  The AT gun will set up in 41Z1 looking at Z0 and AA1.  A squad will set up in 41X1 and a squad with LMG in 41FF1.  The other squad and LMG will set up in 41X6.  The 7-0 and squad will set up in 41Z2 to protect the AT gun.  The last squad will set up in 41AA7 to keep Partisans from flanking.  The 75mm ART will set up in 41BB3, looking at BB4 and CC4 to fire at entering partisans.  The other ART will set up in 41Z7 looking at AA8 and Z8 again to keep the partisans busy.  Dummy stacks will set up in DD4, X9 and W5 each with two dummies under the concealment.  Hopefully we can inflict some casualties on the attacking Russians and partisans."



The Russians come in from the east and can send up to 5 squads in from the north on Turn 2. I would pick 2 x 4-4-7's and the 7-0 to come in from the north. The Partisans would come in from the southwest on Turn 2. I recommend using both of the available entries. The Italians only have six squads to cover a very large area. And the Russian Player needs to collect as many buildings as possible before the Turn 4 Italian reinforcements arrive. The circles above indicate Italian HIP units. Dan would put a very upfront defense and he correctly guess where my primary point of attack would go through. His Italians would be waiting.



Turn 1 Russian - up the road I go. I suffer breaks as Dan's HMG opens up on me. But I would successfully get adjacent to the first building and Italian 4-4-7 holding it. I would VBM sleaze them and get my boys next door for some CC.




Dan's 47L AT Gun would appear and destroy a T-34...I was down to only one. Thankfully, Dan did not get rate of fire. I would go into CC with the VBM sleazed squad and also with the AT Gun crew. I win both.



As Turn 1 drew to an end, I had busted up the AT Gun and 2 squads. Dan's 8-1 would move up the hill to push me back, but I had opened the door to move into the village.




Turn 2 Russian - my success in kicking open the front door allowed me to move into the village and roll up onto the hill. I had no idea that I was moving my remaining T-34 right next to a HIP 75* ART. It was looking towards the southwest lying in wait for my reinforcing Partisans. (So...just a comment about designing scenarios where your opponent knows exactly where you will enter the game and...oh it's open ground. Why? I'll never understand forcing a player to just walk out into the open. That's just my  opinion...but I don't like it.) I would be very fortunate as only a single 3-3-7 would be broken. 


My 7-0 would move in from the north with two squads. This move would pay off hugely for me and put four building locations into the win column.



The successful entrance of my Partisans set me up well to attack the village from the west. The Italians only have six squads available to cover a large area. Additionally, the Russian Player has to move quickly. So, taking some risks is definitely in order.

Turn 3 Actions would see the first 75 ART* crew KIA'd by the T-34. Dan's 8-1 and another squad would go after my Partisan squad on the south edge. His second 75* ART would open up against my Partisans on the west edge and do some damage. My eastern attack continued to drive into the village and secure building locations.




At this point in the game, the Russians had 15 locations with 13 needed for the win at game end. Additionally, my boys were poised to take three more in the southeast corner.

Turn 4 Russian - my Berserk Partisan squad charges against a group of broken Italians with the 7-0. In the southeast corner, the Italian 8-1 and squad would be eliminated with the 8-1 taken prisoner. My Partisans would later massacre the 8-1. While not on my ASL bucket list, this would be the first time I would do that sort of thing. It was done in response to Dan's intense attacks at the end of the game, when I needed every factor available and couldn't afford to have a half-squad incapable of firing due to a prisoner. Having said that, taking that 8-1 prisoner, would allow me to take other prisoners and then reject their surrender. Had I not taken the 8-1 prisoner, the Italians eliminated later, would have been able to low crawl away. So, there's definitely a balanced approach needed when evaluating when to take prisoners.


The Italians in this scenario are very tough with a 5 ELR, so you won't see many opportunities to take them prisoner in this scenario.


Turn 4 Italian - Dan's reinforcements line up to assault the hill and retake some buildings. 





Dan's attack supported by the last 75* ART, which was still in action. The Melee would soon include the Italian Hero who raced down the street and helped eliminate a broken Partisan squad when it could not rout. I would get some Pins on the assaulting Italians, but nothing else.



Dan's initial attack had done well and rocked me back on my heels.

Turn 5 Italian - Dan is the beneficiary of my bad luck. I attempted to start my T-34 and boxcars...immobilized....oh this game...(hold that thought and my beer says Dan!) So my Berserk Partisan squad successfully got into the Italian hex safely only to be turned to a Half-Squad by a 4-4-7 next door. So my 1-2-7 had no chance...but Dan would roll boxcars....oh this game...




Dan had made progress, but also met fierce resistance from my Russians.




Turn 7 Italian and their final movement phase. With 11 locations, Dan needed two more for the win. His only chance was two of the three buildings in the southeast corner. A single 4-4-7 would fire and subsequent fire roll snakes -2, with a 1 and KIA a squad and break the 7-0 and remaining squad. Lady luck would smile on me at the end and grant my Russians the win. What a game! This was a hard-fought game from the first turn. Both sides were still in it at the very end, which is the best you can ask for from a scenario!








And now for Dan's Post Game Comments:


"The plan did not work.  The Russians did lose a tank to the AT gun but were able to knock it out in CC and get into the village along the Y1 road.  The Italian reinforcements were able to get into the village but only took back up to 11 buildings.  The needed 13 for the win.  When the flanking 7-0, squad and HS go hit with snakes and a 1 KIA all chances for victory were gone.  Well played by Grumble Jones.  Congrats on a good win with the Russians and my thanks for a great game of ASL!"



And now for our third and final game of the weekend!



Our final game, played on Sunday would be FT274 Bear Valley from the new LFT 15 Pack. Designed by Steven Swann, this is a unique scenario set in the American southwest as Yaquis Indians face off with the US Cavalry one last time.

LFT 15 is an exceptional product, like all LFT products. This pack comes with 7 new arid/desert boards that really help to reimagine scenario possibilities in that kind of terrain. We needed these boards. Now Xavier...hit us up with some winterized boards!!! And thanks for the outstanding work the LFT Team puts out.

Bear Valley, Arizona is the location for this unique addition to the world of ASL Scenarios. This is a very quick playing scenario at 1-1/2 turns. Dan and I finished all 5-1/2 turns in 1 hour and 19 minutes. 

Dan and I actually were probably the most excited to play this scenario of the three we played this weekend. It's always fun to play something that is completely new.

This is also a great scenario for learning horses and arid/desert terrain. And at 1-1/2 hours of playtime...why haven't you already finished playing it!?!












As the US Cavalry, I would command elements of the 10th US "Buffalo Soldiers" Cavalry. My force would consist of 7 x 4-4-7 mounted and led by an 8-1 and 8-0 with an LMG.


Dan would command the defending Yaguis Warriors. His force would consist of 5 x 3-3-7's led by any8-1 and 8-0.





And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:


"The Native Americans will set up concealed around the single building.  With one squad in the R8 building, one squad in the Q6 woods and one in the T8 brush.  The 8-1 and squad will be HIP in the W8 woods and the 8-0 and squad will be HIP in the U6 woods.  Hopefully the HIP units can get some casualties and also take out some Buffalo Soldiers in CC."


Dan would be able to HIP two squads with leader. He would. I would have to ride into the valley and find the Yaquis the hard way.



Turn 1 Buffalo Soldiers. We ride forward and spend movement points searching for the elusive Yaquis.





Somehow we knew we were in the right area...


Turn 2 Buffalo Soldiers - First contact and it would be bad. Dan's Yaquis 8-0 and a Squad would ambush a mounted unit and Dan would roll SNAKES. KIA'd troopers and horses. 10 men dead on the valley floor.

My 8-1 could only watch from above and see the bodies in the valley.


Almost immediately after the first 10 troopers were killed, I would ride up next to the Yaquis 8-1 and a Squad. Another half-squad would die. 15 troopers now sprawled on the desert floor.



My progress after two turns. I had hoped to get around the Yaquis,...but this proved impossible as I had to dismount and take on the two forward squads, which were hurting me mightily.



Dan would have a lot of early luck with three snakes and multiple 3's, which made his 8-1 a 9-1 Hero...and now I was really in trouble!!!



Despite not being able to ride around Dan's Yaquis, I was able to move along the ridge and get behind his forward units in the valley.



The fight was robbing me of valuable time. I was breaking and not able to take out the Yaquis who would stripe and half-squad before breaking. 



The Yaquis sniper would wound my 8-0 and he would fail to rally his 4-4-7 squad for the rest of the battle.



It was taking me too long to eliminate the two forward squads and their leaders. 




My troopers would continue to move forward and harass the routing Yaquis on the valley floor.


Dan's Heroic 9-1 would hold the line by himself for almost two turns. He was truly the hero of this game.

My sniper would help me tremendously by KIA'ing the Yaquis Heroic 9-1. This gave me points and a chance to move forward and maybe still win the game.


My boys pressed ahead for the close combat that awaited with the stealthy Yaquis.

I only had four squads and 8-1 still in the fight. They managed to close with the Yaquis for two final close combats. I had 5 points. If I won by Close Combats, I would have 9 points and the win. It was do or die time!

My 8-1 would succeed in winning his close combat. I was now at 7 points....just one point away from victory. We would start the second close combat. I would roll a freakin' boxcars. With that, the Yaquis infiltrated out of Close Combat and a Yaquis win. While I'm not a fan of this type of scenario where you have to go bump in the night with HIP squads that can wipe you out, this ended up being a fairly fun scenario. Dan made a great game of it, by fighitng and not keeping his HIP units HIP to ensure the win. The searching aspect of the scenario was tedious, but once the battle was engaged, it shaped up to be a very fun scenario for both Dan and I. Congrats to Dan on a great win as the Yaquis!!!







And now for Dan's Post Game Comments:


"The plan worked.  With three snake eyes the HIP units eliminated two squads and the 8-1 battle hardened to a 9-1 who was heroic.  The Buffalo Soldiers methodically assaulted the two leaders and squads and by the time they eliminated them for 7 VP were too late to take out the rest.  Very close game.  My thanks to Grumble Jones for a great game of ASL!"



My boys would recover the company standard from our fallen troopers.

My thanks to Dan for three great games. Each one went down to the wire. No concessions...just bitter...bitter fighting to the end. Absolutely fantastic ASL!!! 



That's a wrap from Bear Valley...

Dan and I will return next week for more hard riding ASL!

We will see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment