Saturday, March 11, 2023

The Kansas City ASL Club's - 2023 March Madness Tournament


So, this Saturday evening, Dan and I would play our first scenario from the new Drop Zone Sainte Mere Eglise module. While not a fan of playing as or against the Americans, Dan was kind enough to indulge my love for Normandy based games. It was great to get out the first of the maps and play once more in the dense bocage of Normandy.





We would play Scenario SM10 Not Apt to Drag Feet. This is nice, combined arms scenario with lots of armor on both sides.

I elected not to do a full AAR for tonight's post. I have included some shots from the first turns of what would end up being a German victory. Heavy tank losses in Turns 1 and 2 would weigh heavily on the Americans as would the breaking of the American 9-2 with 3 x 7-4-7's and BAZ 44 and both MMG's. This loss would hinder the initial assault, which is so critical in this scenario. Allowing the German player to meet each attack in turn rather puts the American attack at great risk for success. 






Really, great maps and great fun, particularly if you are a fan of the Normandy Campaign. My thanks to Dan for playing this scenario despite his dislike for playing the American. He is after all the "Ost Front Fanatic"...so his preferred theater is on the far distant steppes of the Ukraine!




The focus of tonight's blog post is the annual March Madness Tournament in Kansas City. Here are the particulars for this year's event which kicks off next Friday.


In Person March Madness Tournament, March 17-19, 2023

What: The March Madness 2023 tournament features multiple mini-tournaments and a Sweet Sixteen, single elimination tournament beginning Friday afternoon. Players play a qualifying game which needs to be completed by 4 PM on Friday.

When: March 17-19, 2023. Doors open on Friday at 9 AM, doors close Sunday at 6 PM.

Where: Holiday Inn Express & Suites Shawnee-Kansas City West, an IHG Hotel. https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/shawnee/mkcmd/hoteldetail
Rooms have been set aside and are good until March 1, 2023. There are other hotels nearby.

Cost/Registration: $45 includes a copy of the March Madness 2023, 10th Mountain Pack. T-Shirts are extra at a cost of $25. Registration is $50 at the door for a full weekend of ASL, $25 at the door for Saturday only. Checks payable to Dan Best and mail to PO Box 3643, Olathe, KS 66063 or visit the KCASL Club's website: www.kansascityasl.com and use PayPal.

Prizes: The Sweet Sixteen Tournament will have 1ST, 2ND and 3RD prizes of choice ASL merch. Each mini-tournament will have its own prize for the winner. Some mini-tournaments will be two rounds, most will be one round. Free play is always an option. A raffle for all attendees will be held on Saturday afternoon at 4 PM (must be present to win).

For information please contact Dan Best (djbest30 at aol.com)





By now you know what the focus of this year's tournament is all about...the 10th Mountain Division!!!
The scenario pack looks amazing and the shirt looks to be one of the best ever. I'm sure there will other swag as well as prizes for the raffles. This tournament never fails to be fun and the venue of the past couple years has been outstanding. Lots of room to spread out and not be banging the chair of the guy at the table behind you. And in the age of COVID, a great many of us appreciate the space. 

Speaking of our nemesis, COVID-19, this will be my first tournament since Sioux City in 2019. In 2020, I was all packed up and ready to go to March Madness. COVID was just hitting its stride in March of 2020 and Dan and the crew in KC were forced to cancel the tournament as the county was declared a COVID hot spot. Sitting in Illinois, our state would go on a lockdown just days later. And honestly, my world would change forever. ASL wouldn't suffer, as I played more games in 2020-2022 than at any other time in my gaming career. But...I would not see familiar faces and cherished ASL friends for the next 3 years. And as I head to Kansas City this coming Thursday, I will no doubt reflect on the loss of the past years and the looming opportunity to renew those contacts and friendships. 



Now, I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some COVID-19 PTSD. I certainly do, my wife and I have had five shots and remained COVID free, but at some cost. We avoided public spaces, wore our masks, and lived a life of isolation from theaters, restaurants and other venues involving large crowds.

Last October, I attended a conference in Dallas with my boss and sat in a room with about 2000 people. I didn't panic and freak out...but I was definitely uncomfortable. I'm sure that I'm not alone in how the COVID pandemic has affected us. COVID claimed two people very close to me...my father and my great uncle. They died 10 days part in March of 2021. I will never forget an 11:00 PM text that my father had been placed on a ventilator in Alabama as I sat helpless in Illinois. And then forty five minutes later when my wife came to see me with tears streaming down her face to tell me that my father had passed away. My heart goes out to everyone who has suffered loss during this difficult time. 

COVID would take away loved ones, ASL, and my job. My company had acquired an Italian company in 2019 and we had great plans for it in 2020. COVID all but shut them down for the entire year. Those missed revenue opportunities would result in three layoffs. The third one would have my name on it. And I would be forced to leave Quincy, IL and return to Tulsa...leaving behind my daughter and new grandbaby. Never a quiet evening that I don't long to be back in Quincy. We have all borne so much loss these past few years. But, we are alive and the sun will shine again where once was only shadow and the gray veil covered the landscape.





And now the journey to tournaments begins anew! March Madness lives again and I'm looking forward to being a part of it once again.



Here now are some pictures from March Madness Past...



































Let the journey begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment