Sunday, March 13, 2022

Our Saturday Game ASL Scenario U47 A Small Town in Germany



Another week, another three games of ASL. Dan and I would play The Getaway on Monday and Gun Copse on Friday from Schwerpunkt 1. And our Saturday game would be ASL Scenario U47 A Small Town in Germany. Sadly, all three of them would leave me feeling a little meh...




I like to believe that there are no bad scenarios...only bad luck and the poor decision here or there that wrecks the game for you. But that is not always the case. There are scenarios that are just not hitting the balance mark in a way that allows for a solid game that isn't dicey.


To date I have played 5 of the 12 scenarios in Schwerpunkt Volume 1. Dan has been trying to get them all played and therefore, these have been our choice for weeknight games. They are ideal scenarios for a quick evening game. 

That said, the enjoyment factor is usually limited to the winner. In all five of our games, the Defending player won. This was also completely consistent with the trend regarding which side wins the most games. So Dan and I didn't do any differently than most other players. And in some cases the balance is really tilted hard towards the defender. 

Having written plenty of my own scenarios, I also find myself creating scenarios that are weighted to the Defender's Advantage. This is even more true if the Defender won the scenario historically. And I'll be honest back when I first started playing ASL, it never bothered me much if I lost a scenario playing the side that lost historically. That seemed kind of appropriate to me. And for me, a lot of what I love about the game is watching those historical situations play out. But as I have become more competitive in my playing, the less I like losing a scenario because I rolled the wrong side at the beginning. Yes, that can be an exaggeration, but between two evenly matched opponents...it tends to play out that way. Now couple getting the wrong side with average to poor dice rolling (which is a thing for some of us), and you are very likely to be on the losing end of the game. Dan and I have win and loss streaks that kind of back that up. I'll win 5 of 6 in a row and then lose 3 or 4 in a row and yeah, I got the side that the scenario was skewed against. It would take some work, but there is enough data out there to show this as statistical trend. We'll see if I find the time to do that data scour. 

In a recent interview, a world class player made the comment that a scenario that appears to be unbalanced with average players, can in fact prove to be balanced with expert players who know what they are doing.  Absolutely no disrespect aimed at this player, but I will say from my experiences in Tournaments, that the top players (the ones who usually win the tournament) do not play unbalanced scenarios or those that have dicey situations, that can quickly lose a player the game. A case in point was The Kings of Bollersdorf scenario. 


My friend Dave Ginnard (a very expert player) did not want to play that scenario in our first meeting at the 2018 St. Louis Tournament. He pointed out some aspects of the scenario which he felt created dicey situations that would unbalance the game should they occur. (Interestingly, the scenario was played twice during the tournament and the Russian Player won both times. The balance is Pro-German...) So we played another scenario, which we both enjoyed. It was great to sit across the table from a top player, even though I recognized that I would probably not come away with the win. And I didn't, but I would go on to finish 9th overall beneath Bob Bendis, which is the only time I imagine our names will ever be next to each other again. But the lesson Dave taught me, is that even in a tournament, pick your battles carefully. Sun Zu in the Art of War says that all battles are won before they are fought. I suspect that the Top ASL Players adhere closely to that philosophy. 

Every player has his moment in the sun. St. Louis 2018 was mine.

So why say all this? Because I felt that the three scenarios we played this week, didn't necessarily give both sides an equal opportunity to win. Case in point, The Getaway was over at the end of Turn 1 as all four Russian tanks, started up, pivoted and trundled off the board. My Germans could only sit and watch. It took longer to pull the counters than play the scenario. As the attacking Germans, I didn't do anything wrong, but I didn't rush the Russians, which clearly the design requires, if you are going to have any chance of stopping the Russian withdrawal. I for one don't like to just send my boys running out in the open even with +1 Mist. So yeah, I lost that scenario and came away with zero enjoyment. If I were to play it again, I would just rush my boys at the Russians and see what happened. But this runs counter to how I comfortably deploy my forces for attacks.

Our next scenario the Gun Copse has the British attacking across open ground towards a line of Japanese troops who have an HMG, 51 MTR and 81 MTR. The British do get a pre-registered OBA on Turn 1 of smoke. Dan would roll a 5 and be inaccurate. His smoke would land behind the Japanese line and do nothing. This basically spelled doom for Dan's attack. He would move gamely forward and take some breaks, which included his 7-0 with the Radio and his additional OBA...which he needed....badly. On Turns 2 and 3, the Japanese HMG would mow down the British attackers, until Dan finally had to concede, because he had nothing left unbroken. The Japanese had lost only a half-squad at that point. So, yeah it was fun for me....I got to sit back with rate of fire and mow down my opponent in the open. But I wasn't feeling like my tactical skill was at work. Most players with a rate of fire 3 HMG and an enemy moving in the open will duplicate the same feat. So Dan and I would split wins of two lackluster ASL experiences.

Now just a quick note...despite these two scenarios not proving to be competitive in our playings, doesn't mean that they wouldn't be for other players. All ASL is good ASL.

So one last bit of snarkiness...Dan and I will be playing Schwerpunkt SP5 The Hornet of Cloville tomorrow night. I will be the attacking Americans. ROAR has this scenario with 100 German wins to 64 American. Should I concede now!?!


And now we'll dive into the AAR for our rubber match. U47 A Small Town in Germany. ROAR has this scenario with 8 German and 3 Canadian wins. The ASL Archive has it with 4 German and 0 Canadian wins. I would be the Canadians...YEAH ME!!!

U47 would be my third scenario from this pack. So far I have enjoyed these games. My only criticism is that this scenario doesn't need to be 10 turns long. I dislike scenarios that waste three turns just moving your attacking force onto the board and into the battle. 

In this scenario, by SSR the Germans may not bore sight beyond their setup area, which in my opinion makes it silly to spend the 2 turns moving the Canadians convoy of tanks and Kangaroos to the German setup. Why not just have the Canadians enter on row Q and reduce the scenario to 7 turns. Just my opinion of course.

Having checked out the ROAR stats I knew I was probably going to have a hard time of it. The British Cromwells and Kangaroos are no match for the German Pak 36R and the 88LL.  And there is a 50 CVP cap for the Canadians. Trying to move these poor tanks against Panzerfausts, Panzerschrecks and hidden AT guns would be no easy or achievable task.


As the attacking Canadians, I would command the men of the Canadian 4th Armored Division. My force would consist of 12 x 4-5-7's, led by a 9-2, 9-1, 8-1, 8-0 and 9-1 Armor Leader with 2 x MMG's, and 4 x LMG's and 16 Armored vehicles of dubious value. 



As the defending Germans, Dan would command a mixed force of Wehrmacht Veterans and local students. This force would consist of 4 x 4-6-7's, 6 x 4-3-6's, and 4 x 2-2-8's led by a 9-1, 8-1, 8-0 and 7-0 with an MMG, 4 x LMG's and 2 x Panzerschrecks with an 88LL AT Gun, 76L AT Gun and 2 x 81 MTR's. 


The battle space for this action. The Canadians would be attacking into a very narrow front, which funnels them into the sights of the German guns. Oh boy!!! Call of Duty anyone!?!







And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:


"The Germans must control one multi-hex building on board 10 or inflict 50 CVP or more on the attacking British.  The German plan will be to defend in depth.  The first position will be 11G4 with the 76mm AT gun.  Backed up by a 4-3-6 in 11H3.  And dummy in 11I6.  Note:  I made an error in set up, and set up as if the British started on board with concealment.  Losing out on 12 dummy concealment markers.  The next position will be the 9-1, 4-6-7 MMG and 4-6-7 LMG will set up in 10EE5 level 1 to give cover fire on the hill.  Also a 2-4-7 PSK will set up 10EE1 and 10CC9.  The 8-1 with the last 4-6-7 LMG will se up in 10BB7.  The 8-0 with a 4-3-6 LMG will set up in 10DD3 and the 7-0, 4-3-6 and LMG in 10BB3.  The last 4-3-6 will set up in 10BB1, 10X2, and 10X6 to keep vehicle from easily moving into the German rear.  The 88mm AT will set up in 10Y5 and the 81mm MTRs will set up in 10CC1 and 10Z2.  Hopefully the Germans can get some hits with PF to get over the CVP cap."

A look at Dan's defenses. I would correctly guess the location of the 76L and the 88LL. The mortars were not where I expected them to be. But despite knowing the 76L gun was where it was...you will see that I stupidly attack it. Like the Confederates at Shiloh...I couldn't just go around the Hornet's Nest. It's a character flaw and it would cost me dearly.

Turn 1 completely spend moving across the map. Dan would take no actions on Turn 1...of to Turn 2.


Ok Turn 2 Canadian. I would move safely around the hill. I had one tank ready to head up the center road...just to prove if my theory was correct. It was...tank destroyed. So now...rather than just go around the hill...I send forces to deal with the AT Gun.



I would try to smoke the AT Gun in defensive fire, but I would lose a second Cromwell to the AT Gun. I was already bleeding CVP...the German AT Gun was under my skin now...it would have to die.



German AT Gun crew...be taunting me!!!



Turn 3 Canadian - I begin my assault into the village. My Kangaroos head for home. And my vengeance seeking against the German 76L AT Gun costs me a third tank. But I capture the crew. So not worth it...




At the end of three turns, I wasn't positioned too badly, but I was jammed in tight trying to take out Dan's 9-1 kill stack with an MMG, LMG, and 2 x 4-6-7's.  I had cleared the hill in my rear, but that little distraction cost me nearly 25 CVP. Yeah...I was already halfway to the cap for losses to a gun...which I knew was there. I have no excuses for my own stupidity.


Yeah...it feels good to be a gangsta!!! AT Gun is no more...


But I was getting too close to the CVP cap ledge of doom...

Turn 4 would suck royally. Dan would Panzerfaust a Lynx, Panzerschreck the other Lynx and Panzerschreck a Cromwell, while I MALF'd the MA on another Cromwell.

"Wilkommen Amerikanischer-Englanders...hier ist der Panzerschreck Koenig!!!"



A look at my furthest penetration into the village. This is as far as I would get.


Dan's Landsers were in control.

The German sniper would wreck havoc on me...as if I needed anymore bad luck. The sniper would break squads and KIA my 9-1. Sometimes this game just blows... My 9-2 would be killed in action in close combat with the crew of one of the 81 MTR's. Yes, they would not be taken prisoner.

Seriously, Dan's dice were doing a real number on me in this game. Dan's second mortar would take a shot after pivoting against a Canadian 2-4-7 that had successfully dashed across the street. Dan needed snakes to hit and rolled snakes and the a 1 for a critical hit. Four KIA result and no more half-squad. 

This was obviously a gutting moment for me, but worse than that it kept me from going into close combat with a Pinned 4-3-6 that had pinned while going for a faust. I had two tanks right next to it. 

In Prep Fire, the 4-3-6 would get a faust, shoot, hit and destroy another Cromwell while breaking and disrupting themselves in the process.

But that was game as we hit the 50 CVP with that destroyed tank. It was game over and a German victory.


A last look at the game as I began picking up the pieces. This is a hard game for the Canadians. ROAR and the ASL Archive bear that out. But poor decisions on my part did me no favors. Luck was firmly on Dan's side. His sniper hurt me bad and he was able to pivot his AT Gun and Mortar and still knock me out. My Bounding Fires and Advancing Fire did nothing during this game. So from that perspective it was a one-sided contest with me taking the beating. My thanks to Dan for a fun game despite my suffering. Dan's defense proved to be very good and Dan was able to take me down for a good win.







And now for Dan's Post Game Comments:


"The plan worked.  Thanks to good dice rolls the 76mm AT knocked out three tanks (one with the 9-1 AL) and the PSKs each got an AFV.  PF shots to two others.  With a few infantry and the 9-2 and 9-1 leaders getting killed the CVP cap was met on turn 7.  This scenario is hard on the British who must keep their distance from the Germans will breaking the Germans in stone buildings.  No easy task.  My thanks to Grumble Jones for a great game of ASL!"


Well...time to relax and reflect on 
the great week of ASL. 

Dan and I will take a break next week as Dan helps run the 2022 Kansas City ASL March Madness Tournament. 

We'll be back in the saddle on the 26th. 

We will see you than!

No comments:

Post a Comment