Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Grumble Jones February Scenario GJ092 Against Orders

With my current jobless situation...I've had a little bit (ok...lots) of free time to work on scenarios and I've used that time constructively to get ahead on this year's scenario offerings. For February, I wanted to do something from the Invasion of Poland. I searched around the ASL Archive to see what scenarios were already available. I didn't want to duplicated an action. This was a challenge as BFP's excellent Poland in Flames does a fantastic job of covering the campaign. But I dug deep into my available source materials and came across the actions of the German 2nd Mountain Division. I had initially wanted to do something with the Slovak units that invaded the southern portion of Poland through the Carpathians. There were already scenarios about those actions...so I saw that the German 2nd Mountain Division was involved in the same area. I read a bit deeper and there it a was...a scenario involving the German Mountain Troops as they moved to invest the town of Nowy Sacz. 

The Germans were moving to secure the bridges in Nowy Sacz and the Polish forces arrayed against them had disobeyed their orders. Instead of destroying the bridges, the Polish commander moved his forces into the hills overlooking the town and sought to defend the town from those positions. This allowed the fast moving Germans to quickly take the bridges and overcome the defenders.  At one point, bicycle mounted mountain troopers played a role in the battle. So...that was an easy add to the scenario. I also had the opportunity to bounce the scenario off the mind of Dan Best, who offered some excellent design changes, which I incorporated.




The 2nd Mountain Division was largely composed of Austrians from the Tyrol and Salzburg regions. Many of these men had served in the Austrian 6th Mountain Division. They were skilled mountaineers and eager to prove themselves in combat. 






Nowy Sacz is situated in a beautiful part of Poland. This an area I would love to see some day.



Once again, I must apologize for no PDF version of the scenario. I have not resolved this issue yet. It's been a frustrating problem and I might need to find a new scenario template that I can convert more easily than Publisher. But again, I do apologize for this inconvenience. Correction: A PDF version has been attached in the ASL Archive for the scenario. Much thanks to Frank Leitz for generously creating the PDF. Thank you Frank!






As always these monthly "Basement Quality" Scenarios are offered for fun only and as a thank you to the readers of this blog.

Remember to open pictures in a new window in order to maximize the size. 

And as always, these scenarios can be downloaded from The ASL Scenario Archive 

(just search on Grumble Jones).

No comments:

Post a Comment