Sunday, December 13, 2020

Our Games - ASL Scenarios 203 and AP137

 

Well...it's been week since I was let go from my job. I'm currently staring at a New Year with no job...no salary...no healthcare (that I can afford) and it is all a bit numbing. COBRA is of course an option...but to maintain my current healthcare insurance would cost around $3800 / month. Kinda hard to pay that when you have no income. So worry has become my new best friend. And man does worry take the joy out of things. Dan Best and I played some ASL on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Any other time in my life and I would say that was pretty damn sweet. But, I found it hard to relax and enjoy the time spent playing ASL. Free time that is earned is a bit sweeter for some reason. Naturally, my job search is progressing...but having reached the top of my profession...I'm only looking at making substantially less money...if I can find a job. And sadly, I will have to relocate. I'm not alone,  as millions of other Americans are staring into the same abyss right alongside me. These are tough days...and hopefully we will all find our way to the other side. 



Crossing to the other side is a perfect segue into tonight's AAR. Dan and I would play two scenarios, which will be covered in this AAR. The first would be played over three evenings. This scenario would be ASL Scenario 203 Hard ROK. Dan is working his way through the 200's and this was the next in line. 
Hard ROK is found in MMP's excellent Forgotten War expansion. I'm still undecided with how much interest I have in playing Korean War scenarios. I have played three from this expansion and generally enjoyed them, but I don't feel the historic connection with them that I enjoy with Second World War material. There is something about Korean and Vietnam that have never appealed to me. 

That said, I think MMP has done a fantastic job in bringing this war into ASL and I think it adds favorably to the ASL experience. 

Designed by Michael J. Puccio, Hard ROK takes place in June 1950 as South Korean forces attempt to slow the North Korean invasion at the village of Munsan-ni just northwest of Seoul. ROAR has this scenario with 12 South Korean and 18 North Korean wins. The ASL Archive has it with 4 North Korean and 3 South Korean wins.






The roll for sides would place me in command of the men of the North Korean 3rd Division. This force would consist of 4 x 6-2-8's, 10 x 4-5-8's, and 2 x 2-4-8's led by a 9-2, 8-1, and 2 x 7-0's with an HMG, MMG, 4 x LMG's , 2 x ATR's and a DC. I would have 2 x T-34/85's and 2 x SU-76's for support. 


Dan would command the defending South Koreans of the 11th and 12th Infantry Regiments of the 1st Division. This force would consist of 9 x 4-4-7's, 6 x 3-3-6's,, a 2-3-7,  and 4 x 2-2-7's led by an 8-1, 2 x 8-0's and a 7-0 with an HMG, 2 x MMG's, an LMG, 3x BAZ 45's, 2 x 60 MTR's, 2 x DC's and a 37LL AT Gun. 


A look at the battle space. The North Koreans have to get at least 15 VP across the canal by game end to win the game. 







And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:


"The South Koreans must hold off a north Korean force with better morale and armor support.  The set up restrictions force the ROK to set up with an in depth defense.  While this is a good tactic it make the ROK vulnerable to getting their route paths cut and having to surrender.  The main tactic is for the board 10 force to fall back and combine with the board 23 force for a final defense around the bridge.  Hopefully the ROK can stop the infantry from crossing the bridge for exit victory."


I elected to go for a a broad front attack. The battle space was already so compressed that it really felt like a schwerpunkt anyway. I also wanted to conserve my force and not suffer unnecessary losses in the early part of the game. I had a long journey ahead of me to get to the one bridge across the canal.

Turn 1 opens with a cautious movement into the village. I also had only half of my available movement by SSR.




End of Turn 1 movement and I was nearing Dan's MLR.

Dan's boys would maintain their concealment.


How many times have I shown how game changing the sniper can be? A bunch...right!?! Well, Dan would roll 3 x 1's in a row for sniper checks and go on to hit both of my SU-76's and recall both of them. Just like that I lost half of my armor support.



During one of my moves, I got dangerously close to a DC toting squad. So I quickly stopped and went into reverse motion. In case you have never used this counter!!!

Start up in reverse and stay in motion!!!


Turn 2 movement. I made good progress. Dan would MALF his first bazooka on its first shot and give my T-34/85's freedom on movement. His mortar would go on a serious rate tear, but I would survive it. 




My two recalled SU-76's would depart the field.

My penetration in the village was doing better on the left than on the right. This would be a consistent issue for me throughout the battle.



Dan went on the attack and send two separate squads with DC's after my reversing T-34/85. I would manage to stop both of them.



Turn 3 - I send my tanks to assist the attack on the right. 

Dan's counter-attack pushed me back from board 23.



Dan would MALF the mortar on the left and jump into CC with me. On the right, he fell back to strengthen his line on Board 23.


Turn 4 - I put it into high gear and pushed forward to clear Board 10 and get onto Board 23. Time was running out on me.



I would finish up two close combats and a Melee to secure my hold on board 10.

Board 10 was mine. Now on to Board 23 and the canal bridge.

Turn 5 - I had a T-34/85 support each of my right and left flank attacks. I would make better progress on the left. Dan's boys on the right were hanging tough!



I had made good progress on Turn 4.

Turn 5 - I push hard on the left and locate Dan's 37LL AT Gun. On the right, I just can pry Dan out of the buildings.



The end of 6 turns and I'm in good position.

As the game wound down, Dan had deliberately immobilized my T-34/85 on the left and street fighting immobilized my T-34/85 on the right. Naturally, low rolls were needed and both rolls were made. I was sick at my stomach. I had lost a huge number of VP for exiting. Now my infantry would have to make up the difference. And I was hurting. Dan had really put up a tough defense during the latter half of the game.




My final movement phase. I had managed to win the final close combat and Dan had no unbroken units on the field. I would succeed in exiting 16 VP...but had I not won the close combat...I would not have the won the game. The early turns of this game had been decidedly in the favor of North Koreans...but as the game drew an end, the momentum had swung hard to the South Koreans and I barely managed to get the win. I told Dan, that he should feel pretty good about this game, as he pulled together a great effort at the end that very nearly gave him the win. This was one of our great games this year. An epic fight that did come down to the last close combat. You can't ask for better. My thanks to Dan for a truly great three nights of ASL!!!






And now for Dan's Post Game Comments:


"The plan did not work.  The ROK were successful at stopping the North Korean tanks.  Mostly thanks to the sniper and two immobilizations.  However, the ROK took a steady losses to North Korean fire and in the last turn had nothing to stop the North Korean infantry from getting to the victory area.  Well played by Grumble Jones with a slow grinding attack that inflicted significant attrition on the ROK.  In the end only a broken crew, broken conscript HS and broken 7-0 remained of the ROK force.  The North Koreans moved 16 EVP worth of infantry across the bridge for the win.  My congrats to Grumble Jones for his hard fought victory!  This scenario is good fun and a great intro to Korean troops of both sides.  My thanks to Grumble Jones for a great game!"


I know I'm ready for the next AAR...cause you know Rhianna makes everything better...even ASL...don't believe me...check your errata...



For our Saturday Game - Dan and I would turn the new Swedish Volunteers pack to play Scenario AP157 Trap by Mishap. I wanted to play something from this pack and this scenario looked pretty good to me.

In spite of COVID and the generally sucky year 2020 has been, MMP has done a good job of getting out some new content for us.

Trap by Mishap was designed by Erik Leander and takes place in Finland in the summer of 1944. The Continuation War was drawing to its conclusion and the Finns weary of war found themselves with new AT weapons in the form of Panzerfausts and Panzerschrecks. This would breathe new life into their defensive tactics against the more heavily armored Soviets.

In this scenario, a Soviet armored attack finds itself in a trap as Finns hit it from front and back along with some Swedish volunteers.

The Russian player wins immediately upon exiting at least one tank and 4 squads (not crews or half-squads). 



I would draw the Russians for this scenario and command the men of the 64th Guards Rifle Division and 30th Guards Tank Brigade. My force would consist of 6 x 6-2-8's, 5 x 4-5-8's, and 2 x 4-4-7's led by a 9-1 and 2 x 8-0's with an HMG, 3 x LMG's, and a DC. For armor support, I would have 3 x KV-76's and an ISU-152.

As the Finns and Swedish Volunteers, Dan would command the men of the 5th Kompanie, II, Bataljonen, Infanterieregimente and the Avdelta Kompanie. This force would consist of 9 x 6-4-8's and 3 x 5-4-8's, led by a 9-0 and 9-1 with 3 x LMG's and 2 x Panzerschrecks.


The battle space. There are only two routes available to the Russians...and both would be heavily guarded.






And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:


"The Finns and Swedes must prevent one AFV and four squads from getting across the board and exiting.  The two squads that can set up HIP will be with the PSK guarding the road through the woods and the LMG watching the other gap in the woods.  The main objective is to stop the infantry.  The AFVs can find a gap in the line and likely get through with one tank.  But if the infantry are delayed by breaks they will likely have difficulty making it across the playing area.  Also if they are reduced to a HS they do not count for exit.  Hopefully the Russians do not armored assault the use the superior number to break the thin Finnish line."

My plan was to run all three KV-I's straight up the road and past Dan's blocking force. My infantry would follow up and set up to counter the Finns coming behind me, while another group would advance with the ISU-152.



My plan worked. Dan would obliterate one of the KV-1's and its 6-2-8 rider with a snakes on the effect for the Panzerschreck. It doesn't get much worse than that. My remaining two KV-I's would manage to avoid being killed by Panzerfausts and break into the open. I was honestly amazed, but Dan's rolls for Panzerfausts were terrible and allowed my crazy plan to work. I could just as easily had three burning KV-I's. I don't recommend this strategy.

Dan would ultimately destroy two of my tanks with Panzerschrecks.

At the end of Turn 1 - I was feeling ok...

Dan's reinforcements came in on Turn 1 and would come right at me.



I would hammer the Finns coming up behind me, but the Swedes would enter without any problem.



Oops...I used blue for my Russians on in this photo...my bad. But you can see the successful escape of my KV-I's from the Panzerfaust trap that Dan put in place. My first big mistake of the game was sending my boys to the south to take down broken Finns. What a doofus move on my part. I had a chance to rush up the middle and get my infantry in good positions to exit. This move would cost me the game.


My next doofus move was to immediately exit a KV-1 off the board. I should have set it back and used it to prevent Dan from moving troops to interdict my exit route. But nooo...I didn't think that far ahead...(I suck at Chess by the way...and now you know why). 


So I had one tank off...but now needed for four squads to exit. I had neglected to remember that little tiny fact. Suddenly...I wasn't feeling very good about this game anymore.


With time running out, I pushed hard to get my infantry in a position to exit. But Dan was relentless in trying to stop me. I lost my last KV-1 to a Panzerschreck and a Panzerfaust took down my ISU. The circle units were all that I had to try and exit the board. 4 Squads exactly. If one squad broke or pinned, I was done for...

Final movement phase of the game...I put on my track shoes and start running. My 9-1 and a squad succeed in exiting. Now I only needed three more squads. They start running for the exit...the Finns fire...I break a squad...game over...and a well-earned victory for Dan!!! I kicked myself for making some really stupid mistakes that really helped Dan's cause. But hey...there's always next Saturday!!!

Dan's boys would enjoy the victory and with that Dan and I would split the games. These were both fun scenarios and I would definitely recommend playing them both when you have the opportunity! My congrats to Dan on a good win and of course my thanks for a great four days of ASL. Looking forward to more next week!






And now for Dan's Post Game Comments:


"The plan worked.  One AFV was easily able to exit.  Helped by terrible rolls for PF shots.  But the infantry were bottled up and had to run across open ground for the exit.  In the end four squads could not make the end run.  The Finns took heavy losses.  This scenario is fluid with plenty of movement.  However, the Russians have a challenge in getting four squads our of 13 to exit.  My thanks to Grumble Jones for another great game of ASL!"

That's all for now. 

Dan and I will be back with a playing of ASL Scenario J85 Pitchin' In. 

We will see you then!

2 comments:

  1. Hi GrumbleJones,
    Just wanted to say please stay positive. Your regular blogs and free scenarios have been a godsend to me over several years of hardship, redundancy, job-hunting, new challenges, lockdown, wife in hospital, etc so I just wanted to say a MASSIVE thank you on behalf of all your fans for all the effort you constantly put into keeping this blog going and for making ASL so downright interesting and yes, exciting! You and Dan totally rock!
    So stay safe, stay well, and keep focussing on the positives, no matter how bad it gets.
    All the best.
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your replays, photos and scenarios. Especially the Deluxe ones, which are a rarity these days. I really do appreciate them! Best of luck to you in this tough time, if anything try to play more ASL, I know it helped me during my last layoff. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete