Sunday, November 3, 2019

Our Saturday Game - Crucible of Steel Scenario BFP-94 To the Last Shell

After my crushing defeat two weeks ago in Aachen, I was looking forward to a change in environments. I've never really enjoyed heavy urban fighting and I don't feel that I am particularly good at them. So the chance to get some fresh air on the Russian Steppes really appealed to me! My choice for our Saturday game this week would be from Bounding Fire's epic Crucible of Steel Module. Scenario BFP-94 To the Last Shell (designed by Chas Smith) would be choice to play.

BFP's Crucible of Steel pack is a true gem. It's absolutely stuffed with great maps, counters and a ton of scenarios all focused on Kursk. This would be my fourth scenario to play from the pack. My first was the epic Flying Turrets, which I personally believe has no equal for a non-CG scenario. The maps are outstanding and really put you on the Kursk battlefield.

To the Last Shell covers the actions of July 8th, 1943 near Gresnoe, Russia. In this scenario, the German 3rd SS Panzer Division "Totenkopf" is advancing and eliminating Soviet strongpoints in the axis advance of the SS Panzerkorps. The Russian forces represent these isolated strongpoints, which hindered the German advance in the early days of Operation Citadel.








ROAR has this scenario with 2 German wins, 2 Russian wins and 2 Draws. Not sure how these ended in a draw, but presumably, one side of the other wasn't able to continue and so a draw was attributed to the incomplete playing of the scenario. The ASL Archive has it with 3 German wins and 1 Russian win. 

After the customary rolling for sides, I would get the Russians and the role of defender. I was ok with being the defender, but I have a terrible track record when playing the Russian side, so my expectations for great things are definitely tempered. I would command elements of the Soviet 237th Tank Brigade of the 31st Tank Corps. My force would consist of 16 x 4-4-7's, 2 x 4-2-8 AM's, 7 x 2-2-8's, 2 x 1-2-8 AT's, 2 x1-2-7's, led by a 9-1, 8-0 and 7-0 with 3 x MMG's, 3 x LMG's, 2 x ATR's and a 60 MTR. My support would consist of 1 x 82 MTR, 2 x 57LL AT Guns, 4 x 76L ARTY's, 3 x T-34/76's and 2 x T-70's. Eh...I was kind of neutral about my force. I was going to just wait and see how this group performed.

As the scenario attacker, Dan would field elements of the 3rd SS Panzer Division "Totenkopf". This storied and infamous division would do hard fighting at Kursk and following the battle, remain behind while the 1st and 2nd SS left their SS Panzerkorps and went to take care of business in Italy and then later in Normandy. Totenkopf would finish the war on the Eastern Front.

Dan's force would consist of 18 x 6-5-8's, 2 x 2-2-8's, led by a 9-2, 9-1, 8-1, and 3 x 8-0's with 3 x MMG's, 6 x LMG's, 2 x DC's and 2 x 81 MTR's. For support Dan would have 3 x Tiger I's, 2 x PZKW IV H's, 1 x PZKW IV E, 4 x PZKW III L's, and 3 x Stug III G's with 2 x 9-1's, and 1 x 8-1 Armor Leaders. Nice...this is the kind of force anyone would love to have!
A nice look at the BFP maps. They are really beautiful maps and there are some extra terrain types such as slopes (think Pegasus Bridge),  Sparse Woods/Orchards and Hillocks (think West of Alamein). Dan and I often email each other while we are work to talk ASL...when we should be working, and we exchanged several emails regarding the terrain features to make sure we were both understanding them the same way. As the defender with so many HIP guns, I wanted to make sure my setup was consistent with the rules.


And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:

"The Germans must attack and get a combination of 100 VP between CVP inflicted on the Russians, captured buildings and EVP off the north edge.  They have a very strong force including 13 AFV and 18 squads.  The terrain has all but one building on the right flank with a woods and grain field in the center right (leading into the village) and open rolling terrain on the left flank.  With the Germans having enough EVP to win (if they suffer minimal casualties), the Russian must defend the entire area.  This is a great opportunity for a Schwerpunkt.  Concentrate the Germans on a single point and break through the Russian line to exit or capture buildings or both.  My plan is to attack on the right flank with all forces and go into the village.  The 9-2 with three squads and three MMG will armor assault with a tiger tank on the right flank.  The 9-1 with two squads, two LMG and two crews with MTRs and a tiger tank will attack into the woods.  The 8-1 with three squads will and the third tiger will attack into the village.  The rest of the infantry will also armored assault forward with the 4 Pz III tanks each having a HS rider.  The Pz III tanks will be used aggressively and be willing to move close to Russian units to risk CC, the rest of the tanks will stay back and provide fire support or engage enemy armor.    After breaking the Russian line, infantry will capture buildings and the AFVs will exit.  Hopefully the combination of VP will ensure victory. "








The Grumble Jones Staff photographer would be embedded with the Germans for today's action.
















Here's an overview of my defense. I knew that Dan would probably do a Schwerpunkt, but where?? I feared that if I put too much in the village, then Dan would push by me on the right side and then attack the village from behind, where the open ground would give his armor good fields of fire. I placed all 4 of the 76L ARTY's up front with two on the extreme flanks (hoping for side/rear shots) and two in the village and woods. I placed the 57LL AT Guns to guard the rear and the gaps where I expected Dan's armor to penetrate.

My infantry were focused in the village and the woods. I thought for sure Dan would use the woods as his avenue of approach to the village. I set up another line supported by the 50MTR in the center. They were to guard against Dan flanking the woods. I had good fields of fire for my guns, but would make a critical error with my tanks. I decided to dig all of them in, which would make them hull down and harder to hit. On the down side, they couldn't move. And this would become a real problem for me.

I put all three MMG's in the village, with two on the level one locations of the two hex building at the front of the village. I was hoping to use them to stop any approach through the grain or in the open.

As my boys looked to the south....they could see the huge dust cloud that announced the arrival of Dan's Schwerpunkt.


Dan would mass on the left and drive straight for the village. I was screwed...like totally.  My expectation that Dan would do some flanking was thrown right out of the window. Dan was going to hit me hard and I had maybe four AT assets in the vicinity. Fortunately, I had all of my MMG's in the area.

"Here they come Comrades...make every bullet count...Comrade Stalin is watching!"

My available AT assets would be hard pressed to halt the Germans...especially with my bad habit of never getting rate of fire. It's an affliction actually...I may even need to see a doctor about this...

Hmmm...maybe ASL needs a saving throw!!!

Dan's Schwerpunkt came in hard and fast. I held fire from my AT guns, but my dug in tanks fired...and did nothing. But Dan would Bounding Fire at my dug in T-34..."SNAKES"...T-34 is gone and did nothing...oh well...at least my mortar was lobbing some somewhat worthwhile rounds at Dan's grenadiers.


Just like in the NFL where they celebrate every down these days...the crew of the MK III...quickly jumped out of their tank to do an End Zone Pose!!! You know...personally I was looking for a flag!!!



Turn 1 went great for Dan's SS Grenadiers. He wasn't quite in the village yet, but he was pressing me in the woods and in the grain.



In my part of Turn 1, I continued to hammer away with my mortar and gets some breaks, but no kills. My T-70 on the far left would roll a critical hit on one of the MK III's and create a burning wreck. My two 76L ARTY's would open up and immobilize two more MK III's. I guess I don't like MK III's.

My infantry on the far right began making the run towards the village. I had to try and get my boys to the scene of the fighting before the village fell.

Unfortunately...my dug in tanks couldn't help. So remember...if you play this scenario...think long and hard about whether or not to dig in your tanks.

In his Turn 1 Defensive Fire, Dan would pound me. My MMG's in the 1st level locations would be broken and/or killed. Dan would kill the crew of the far right 76L ARTY and outright destroy the other 76L ARTY in the village.  Only my T-70 remained.

Dan's Panzer Leaders were chalking up good kills!

Well...my T-70 would MALF it's MA and fall shortly thereafter. Dan's boys entered the village. I was resisting well in the woods, but the village was rapidly falling.


Dan had secured a large part of the village, but he was still trying to wrinkle out my boys int he woods.

My boys would give a good account of themselves in the woods and eliminate a German 6-5-8 in Close Combat.


My line was steadily being pushed back. I just didn't have enough force to meet Dan on equal terms anywhere in the fight. Only the woods had given me the opportunity to concentrate against him.



A look at my defenses. I could only kick myself for digging in my tanks. I had two T-34's and a T-70 basically mission killed...which could have helped me to hold the village.

Dan's boys were making good progress through the grain and beginning to take victory locations in the village. Dan was uop to roughly 31 points at this stage.

My T-70 on the far left finally went down. It was my only unit to destroy a German tank. I hated to see them fall.



Turn 3 - Dan's boys make solid progress.

"Hans...what do you see?" "Victory...I see Victory!!!"


At around 10:30 PM (5-1/2 hours into the game), Dan and I had completed 3 full turns. I knew I was beaten, but wanted to see if I could do anything with my remaining AT Guns. My Prep Fire was a complete waste as I rolled high and of course got no Rate of Fire...a 3 Rate of Fire and I couldn't get rate. After that, my personal ELR went to -5 and I gave the concession.  It just felt pointless to keep fighting and watching my bad rolls continue to do nothing. I'll admit that I was envious of Dan's dice rolling on this night. He was able to get the results he needed when he needed them.


Dan and his SS Grenadiers had won a really decisive victory at small cost. His Germans would only lose four tanks and maybe two squads. In contrast, my forces had been dealt a costly defeat. So my congrats to Dan on a great win. He proved once again the power of the Schwerpunkt is not to be underestimated.


And now for Dan's Post-Game Comments:

"The plan worked.  It was helped greatly by early destruction of the Russian tanks and guns.  One tank to a critical hit bounding fire shot and one gun to a direct hit.  I lost the four Pz III tanks one destroyed, two immobilized and one recalled because of a malfunctioned MA.  The Pz III destroyed had the 8-1 AL.  However, the rest of the tanks broke through and had a path to exit.  The infantry were doing well in the village.  The battle for the woods was going much slower and was where all the infantry losses were occurring.  However, the woods force was blocking the counterattacking Russian infantry.  Overall the attack was helped by good die rolls and poor die rolls by the Russians.  This scenario is fun but a good Schwerpunkt is hard to beat with the Russians being spread out.  My thanks the Grumble Jones for a great game!"



Dan and I will be off next week as Dan rides to the North Texas Shootout Tournament...and look out Texas...the Kansas Schwerpunkt is headed your way!!!  Good luck Dan!!!

Dan and I will return to the Saturday ASL Contest on November 16th for a playing of March Madness Scenario MM51 - Firefight on Weinbourg Ridge.

We will see you then!

No comments:

Post a Comment