Saturday, July 4, 2020

Our Friday Game - ASL Scenario RB4 To the Rescue

With the 4th of July Holiday occurring on a Saturday, Dan and I decided to move our weekly game to Friday, so that we could both spend the holiday with family.  It was Dan's turn to pick and he would select a Red Factories scenario. I was immediately onboard for a Red Factories game. Stalingrad scenarios always seem to bring ASL back to it origins. The Guards Counterattack introduced us all not only to Squad Leader, but to a new understanding of how to wargame the battle of Stalingrad. I would suggest that no other wargame allows you to experience the battle of Stalingrad with more intimacy than ASL. One look at the maps for Red Barricades shows you in precise detail the actual battlefield. You aren't looking at abstract hexes depicting some portion of the city. No...you are in the actual factory hall or moving through the rubble littering the streets and alleyways. With ASL....you are in the city and faced with the very same tactical problems that had to be solved by the Germans and Russians in arguably the world's most hostile World War 2 battlefield. 

I played some of my first Red Barricades scenarios in 1992-1993. Red Barricades would  not get a lot of play in the early days due the size of the map and the scenarios. My group in those days was into scenario lite, which meant a heavy focus on Beyond Valor and Paratrooper Scenarios. 

The release of Red Factories gave me another opportunity to explore Stalingrad with upgraded maps and overlays. These upgrades add even more detail to an already detailed map. The Red Factories maps are works of art. Yeah...I love'em.

Our Friday scenario would be RB4 To the Rescue. Designed by Charlie Kibler, this scenario depicts the attempt by the Germans to rescue an isolated patrol of the 100th Jaeger Division. Having reached the banks of the Volga River, the patrol found itself surrounded. Relief detachments made unsuccessful attempts to rescue the patrol. As night fell, the patrol's fate was sealed. Only a handful of survivors would make it to German controlled areas the next day.

In my opinion, Jason D. Mark is the expert on all things Stalingrad. I have been fortunate to own several of his books on the subject. The level of detail is unsurpassed. His works tend to rely most heavily on German sources. I don't know if the Soviets didn't keep such detailed data or simply have not made it available to the general public. Despite this, Mark's books are especially useful in understanding the combat that occurred in Stalingrad. Island of Fire is probably the best volume for information related to tonight's scenario.






Dan and I would be playing the Red Factories version of the RB4 scenario. ROAR has this version with 5 German and 4 Russian wins. The Red Barricades version has 53 German and 58 Russian wins. As with many of the legacy Avalon Hill scenarios...this one appears well-balanced. 

City fights are not generally my strong suit. I much prefer woods and villages to gutted factories and a debris covered battlefield. City fights like Stalingrad are brutal, face to face fights. Close Combat will be expected and in great volume! Red Factories allows for Hand-to-Hand Close Combat...so I anticipate heavy losses in this game. 



The victory conditions for this scenario require the German player to get 5 or more exit VP of the "stranded" German patrol safely west of Hex Row S. Any other result is Russian victory. The German patrol would begin the game surrounded with their backs to the Volga River. By SSR, they would setup first, followed by the Russians. Then the German relief force would set up. The Russian player would need to hold off the relief force while simultaneously keeping the stranded German patrol bottle up. Can you say Alesia...? Of course as the defending Russians I make no pretense to being on the same level as Julius Caesar.


After rolling sides, Dan would be the surrounded and attacking Germans. He would command the men of the 100th Jaeger Division. Stalingrad would be this division's most severe test...one which they would not pass. The stranded patrol would consit of 2 x 4-6-7's and 3 x 4-4-7's led by a wounded 8-1 and 7-0 with an LMG. These units would be fanatic throughout the scenario. Desperation to escape would have that effect. Dan's relief force would consist of 10 x 4-6-7's led by a 9-1, 8-1 and 7-0 with an HMG and 3 x LMG. These men would not be fanatic, but their desire to rescue their comrades would fuel their effort.

As the defending Russians, I would command the men of the 138th Rifle Division. These men would form the core of the Soviet force that would ultimately win the Battle of Stalingrad. Certainly no small feat and accomplished at tremendous loss of life. We may never know how many Russians ultimately fell at Stalingrad...and the world owes them no small debt of gratitude. My force would consist of 7 x 5-2-7's, and 8 x 4-4-7's led by an 8-1 and 7-0 with an MMG, LMG and 50 MTR. My reinforcements would arrive on dr less than the current turn. For me that would Turn 3. This force would consist of 3 x 4-4-7's led by an 8-0 with an LMG. And I would put that LMG to good use...game winning use...I might add.


And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:
“The Germans must rescue an encircled unit.  The plan is for two assault groups, one led by the 9-1 with three squads a MMG and a LMG, the second led by an 8-1 with three squads and two LMG to attack from the S18 factory while the 7-0 leads two squads and four HS in a probing attack along the rest of the front.  Hopefully the troops can get across the streets and their fire power can clear an exit for the trapped units to take.”


The game begins. Dan sent his big stacks towards the south and looked to hit me from the direction of the Commissar's House. A screening force of half-squads looked ready to keep my defenses busy at the Chemists Shop. My 8-1 with the HMG was HIP looking down the road. Fire lanes would be a Russian's best friend in this game. 

My strategy for this game would be to surround the stranded patrol but not to engage them. My fight was with the relief force. And fortunately, Dan's relief force was aiming for the area where I had the strongest concentration of manpower. Their job would be stop or slow down the relief attempt. 

Hold the line boys!


Turn 1 - the German relief attempt begins. Crossing the street immediately brings down a fire lane from my HIP MMG. With the road covered, the remaining Germans advance cautiously. I had bought myself a turn.

My MMG would be the standout unit for me in this game. Normally, I would break my Russian machine guns early and often. Luck would shine on me in this game and I would not break any weapons. Here's a quick check of the rolls for Dan and I in this game: Dan would roll 3 snakes ad I would roll 4. Dan would roll 6 x 11's to my 4 x 11's. And Dan would roll 2 boxcars to my zero boxcars. Is the world still circling the sun...cause 0 boxcars...what world am I in...???

Now I point out that back to back wins for me are unusual enough, but a quick look at the dice offers up that my luck in these past two games has certainly been better than usual. 

Dan's stranded patrol would remain concealed and didn't move on Turn 1. 

The stranded patrol looked anxiously for any sign of the relief force.

A look  at the German perimeters as Turn 1 ended.

Turn 2 - the Germans press forward. My Maxim throws down another avenue of fire, but the Germans are able to make some progress.



Turn 2 - the German perimeters are still far apart. My boys ready themselves for kill stacks of doom from the 8-1 and 9-1.

Stacking would be a no-no. I couldn't risk losing too many guys in single shots in Prep Fire. I had to keep as many squads alive as possible.


Turn 3 - Dan's attacks against the Chemist Shop get more intense. I manage to hold them off, but the distraction frees Dan's main element to cross yet another road and close the gap between themselves and the stranded patrol. 

The German 9-1 keeps his men moving forward. This 20 factor stack is going to be tough to stop.

The terrain in Red Factories is tough to move quickly through. After three turns, Dan forces were moving to confront my defensive ring. Additionally, the stranded patrol finally began their attempt to breakout. After sitting quietly for two turns, they moved to escape. At this point in the game, rescue seemed at hand.



Turn 3 - my reinforcements race down the road and jump into the trench by the Chemist Shop. My perimeters were no longer connected. A German breakout looked unstoppable at this point.

I would realign my forces as best I could to confront the relief force and create a gauntlet for the stranded patrol to move through.



Turn 4 - Dan's relief force moves to the northeast while the stranded patrol moves a group south along the river and the others move towards the Chemist shop. This move would put extreme pressure on my ring defense, but it also pulled the relief force and stranded patrol further apart.

The Chemist Shop would the be the cornerstone of my defense. It had to hold.

Close combat. Dan went full hand to hand on me in Turn 4 and all along the battlefront. It was a devastating turn for both sides. We both suffered losses.


Dan's plan worked, but not entirely. He had once again opened an escape path for the stranded patrol, but his 9-1 was locked in melee with a half-squad. And his force to the west was broken. The stranded patrol had made some progress, but was still bottled up.

Dan's Germans were watching the clock beginning to run down. They were going to have to begin making a run for the border soon.

I  had been hit hard, but was still hanging on and now had machine guns trained down the roads. I was still in position to interdict any escaping Germans.



For an urban fight, Dan and I were making a lot of moves. The breakout was full on as Turn 5 opened. I had been reduced to two defensive pockets. Dan was trying to open up the south for the stranded patrol to escape through.

The stranded patrol readied themselves for the escape attempt.

The Russian position at the Chemist Shop had proven too difficult for the Germans to direct assault. So Dan's boys pivoted south and hit my ring defense with more close combat. This move would also bring the stranded patrol and relief force into full contact.

As Turn 5 ended, I would launch my own counter-attack. Truth be told Dan actually coached me to make the move into Close Combat with a concealed 4-4-7. It proved to be the right call and I would take down another German squad.



Incredibly, my counter-attack had restored contact with both of my groups and effectively shut down the northern escape route. Dan's boys would have to try and run through the south and then head west.

My boys readied themselves to stop the final German escape attempt.

Dan's boys prepare for the run to safety...

Turn 6 the Germans make their move and have to run through fire lanes. One of the stranded patrol squads is broken in the attempt. And with that the German effort fails. With only one turn of movement left and less than 5 VP of standed partrol squads available...it's game over and a Russian victory.

My boys would celebrate the win. They had managed to stop the rescue attempt.


For the stranded patrol...an unwelcome fate awaited....

And now for Dan's Post-Game Comments:
“The plan did not work.  The trapped units tried to break out a turn too late and could not make it to the safe line in time.  The low visibility allows for movement and would have allowed the trapped units to move earlier but I chose to stay concealed too long.  Well played by Grumble Jones who waited patiently for the Germans to come to him and held the key terrain.  This scenario is good fun and classic intro to fighting behind the Barrikady.  Congrats to Grumble Jones on a well-played Russian victory!”


My thanks to Dan for another super game of ASL. Tonight's game was challenging, exhausting and some serious ASL fun. We both gave 110% tonight. 


Dan and I will return next Saturday for a playing of MM 42 I want to be a Millionaire.

As always 

WE WILL SEE YOU THEN!!!







Before we say goodbye...here's wishing everyone a Happy 4th of July. 

America means different things to us all and all over the world. 

For me, the unending views of the Blue Ridge Mountains best represent the unending possibilities, beauty and free spirit of America. 


Happy Independence Day to one and all.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Independence Day weekend buddy!! That 9-1 stack looked awesome but you never gave up! It's a well earned victory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Played this myself not so long ago as the Germans. I agree the trapped units need to move earlier. I started on the first turn.

    Great AAR and happy 4th

    Ian

    ReplyDelete