Saturday, May 30, 2020

Our Friday Game - ASL Scenario 42 - Point of No Return

It seems fitting that I finish my COVID-19 forced vacation burn with a final trip to the baked sands of the Sahara desert. And trust me...it's not a scenario that I have looked forward to. In fact, I've been dreading it. Like many ASL'rs I like to play what interests me scenario wise. And truthfully, the huge Avalon Hill scenarios of Code of Bushido, Gung Ho, and West of Alamein simply do not interest me. The pain index is just too high. But, Dan has been on a mission to complete all of the original scenarios. And I am happy to help him achieve that milestone. It helps me as well. A year from now, I'll look back on the grueling effort to complete the West of Alamein scenarios and smile...cause I don't have to play them ever again!!  

"Dan...please....please don't make me play another DTO scenario...the sun glare...the dust...the scorching heat...the endless rules checks.." "Grumble...just one more...just one more...yes...it's the biggest and the longest...but you can do it!"

All kidding aside, I am actually glad to complete all the WoA scenarios. What's so bad is that it too me 30 years to do it. 

One look at the scenario card for Point of No Return was enough to cause most of us to move on the next scenario. It's daunting. Just pulling the counters takes a commitment!!! "Honey...are you coming up to dinner?" "No...dear...I'm still pulling counters..."

This scenario uses three desert boards and the E1 Overlay. How often have you used that bad boy!?!  So there's that!

It's a ten turn scenario with multiple reinforcements for both sides through the course of the game. Both sides also set up on board and close to each other. So that at least saves some time for closing the distance into combat. Several of the WoA scenarios have involved some tedious movement phases. Point of No Return should have less of that.

The victory conditions are straight forward. The Germans win at the end of any turn that they control four victory  hex locations. Three of these are on Board 25 and 1 is on Board 27.  It took me a bit of study to get a good grasp of the initial setups. The more difficult part is figuring out how to set up a defense. In keeping with our DTO experience, I'll be the British one last time and Dan will once again put on his Pour le Merite and channel his inner Desert Fox.



My good friend Hong Kong Wargamer has done an excellent AAR for this scenario. I spent a bit of time studying it to get my footing for this scenario. I highly recommend checking it out and reading his blog on a regular basis if you don't already. 

ROAR has this scenario with 33 German and 24 British wins. The ASL Archive has it with 1 German and 3 British. Judging from the ROAR stats, it would appear Pro-German, but not greatly so. This scenario has a lot of moving pieces and many tactical choices to make. DTO is unforgiving, so making too many mistakes will have consequences.





The scenario appears focused on the fight for control of Point 175.


The battle space...some painful terrain in the middle.


As the scenario defender for the final time in our Desert Odyssey, I would command the men of the 25th New Zealand Battalion. For once, I won't list out the forces for either the New Zealanders or the Germans...just waaay too much stuff. Suffice to say, both sides have lots of stuff!


For our final desert foray, Dan would once again command the men of the Afrika Korps. So far, Dan has done an excellent job of winning victories in the desert. The 21st Panzer Division would make up Dan's primary force. And according to history Rommel himself was present. So expect to see the Rommel Counter from Croix de Guerre on the map for this game!  As with the New Zealanders, Dan's force makeup is just too much stuff to walk through. It's heavy in infantry, but only six tanks, which is a bit surprising.

My desert journey began with Blazin Chariots on the horizon as I scaled Rachi Ridge to escape the Khamsin but failed to Escape from Derna until I found success with Turning the Tables only to fall in the darkness of Fort McGregor and find myself mired in A Bridgehead too Wet...until at last I find myself at the Point of No Return...


And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:
“The Germans start this scenario in an L-shaped ambush.  With one group in trenches and one in a wadi.  My Pz III will start in the wadi group and the other tanks will be climbing the escarpment road.  My plan is the shoot up the ambushed British and then attack toward the victory locations using armored assault.  The tanks will cut route paths.  Hopefully the Germans can capture the victory location before the reinforcements get into position to counterattack. “



The final WoA scenario approaches...the final battle for control of North Africa begins!



So at 11:30 AM on Friday...Dan and I begin a scenario that averages 20 hours to complete. We were committed to finishing it today, cause one day was all we wanted to spend on this one. The scenario is constructed to place the British player into a German ambush, who key assets are two 50L AT Guns. These would be the sources of great pain for my forces for the duration of the game. I was never able to focus any fire on them throughout the game.

It's easy to forget how effective the 50L AT Gun was in 1941. It's certainly not an auto kill, but against the British armor at that time, it was highly effective. And L Guns really shine in long range engagement such as this scenario presented.
OBA - both Dan and I would have OBA. Dan's was by phone and mine by radio. My arty would never show up. I didn't have access to it until Turn 3 and then radio contact, a broken radio operator, a red card draw and then the death of the operator pretty much cancelled my OBA...which I truly could have used.

Dan would get his OBA into play right away and it would cause me no little grief at the game start. But then Dan would draw two successive Red Cards and his OBA would be gone...much to my relief.


This is one of those rare scenarios where Rommel is actually present in the game. He is a 10-3, but I elected to use my new Croix de Guerre Rommel counter for this scenario. Fun stuff...I'd love to have a Manteuffel for my Grossdeutschland scenarios someday.


I've blogged about Rommel before and he always been a source of fascination for me. He is a multi-faceted individual...professional soldier, shameless egotist, photographer, flyer, family man, and a man of personal courage. He led from the front. But we cannot forget that he also bought into the Nazi plan and certainly enjoyed his close relationship with the Fuehrer. Personally, I believe his ruthless ambition had him take advantage of his relationship with Hitler to advance his military career. And like anyone who makes a deal with the devil...he would pay a terrible price for his misplaced allegiance. But for today, he'll just be the top German cardboard leader.

Dan's Turn 1 Prep Fire would be devastating for me. All of my tanks had to begin the game in motion to reflect the ambush scenario...but also to provide me with a modicum of protection. It failed. His eastern most 50L would unleash a rate of fire turret of armor piercing shells. I would have two tanks and a carrier destroyed and a third tank shocked, and later destroyed.

Dan has a knack for rate of fire tears and once his dice are hot, they stay hot. Turn 1 would be a hard for me.

Dan's low rolls would produce a lot of 4's, which was my sniper. And I would roll a lot of 1's. The first of many breaks and at least one squad would go down to the sniper...as well as one his half-track carriers, which my sniper would immobilize. Too bad my entire force didn't perform as well as the sniper!!!

"I can't carry the battle by myself lads...this isn't bloody Call of Duty!!!"


I would see a lot of snake eyes on my screen during this loooong game. I'd also roll a few of my own...cause...I'm a cheeky monkey! 


(Dan also has one of the very...very rare Grumble Jones tactical patches.) https://redheadedtshirts.com/ -- this is a great source for tactical patches and other ASL style stuff.


Turn 1 New Zealand. I had one 4-5-8 with an LMG next to board 25. They would manage to stun a PZ MKI with the LMG. I would then move them into the wadi where Dan had parked a half-track carrier. This intrepid squad would be my heroes. Next up...I turned my tanks and tried to run back to the hillock. I would succeed in getting two tanks back to the rear to carry on the fight. 


Not all of my Valentines would make it.

Smoke...the desert breeze would create lots off smoke. Vehicle dust...and the SSR Light Dust would all conspire to make this another miserable game. I'm sorry...but there were moments in this game, where I just stopped firing at moving targets, because the chance of hitting was just so minimal after factoring in all the nonsense. It's actually maddening, because you think...desert, open ground, should be awesome...but it's not...you can't see anything. Oh and then you get exactly what you need to hit...then roll for the light dust and miss.

I know I've carried on a bit about my dislike for DTO terrain, but it's just wearing on you. DTO and PTO are difficult scenarios to play quickly...both cause a lot of rules dives...which slows down the game, saps your personal game momentum and just drag the whole experience down. There's nothing I hate more than flipping through the rule book. I don't want to look any further than my Rat Charts. Those who know me well...know that I am no rules lawyer...but instead the furthest thing from it.

Thank goodness Dan is around to keep me honest!!!

So Turn 2 ended with a newly established MLF for my New Zealanders. I would fight out along this line for the remainder of the game. My intrepid squad in the Wadi would eliminate the Half-track carrier and then begin a journey to safety through the wadi....at least that was the plan.

Dan's Turn reinforcements arrive and begin their long drive up the Board 25 road of torture. Are you detecting a theme from me...



Dan would not let my brave band of Kiwis just escape. So sent the MKI to take 'em down. Well they got the MK I instead. These fellows were restoring my pride that was shattered on Turn 1.

Turn 2- Dan's reinforcements begin the journey up the Ledo Road, while he sent more grenadiers to take on my Wadi 4-5-8. Dan was not going to let them live.

Dan's Panzers began their advance towards my retreating Valentines.



I had successfully relocated my 2lb Portees and used the smoke from one of Dan's kills to provide some protection from his relentless 50L AT Gun. Dan would also temporarily MALF the 50L AT Gun, so that allowed me some time to rack up kills with my Portees. They would take down or shock nearly all of Dan's tanks in a single phase.




My intrepid wadi squad would continue to hold out and eliminate some more Germans in close combat. I kept expecting Dan to just move on and ignore them. But he was determined to destroy them.


"Come and get us Danny Boy!!!"

Dan continued to expand his penetration towards the 4 victory locations. My boys in the wadi were deep behind German lines now.

Dan's reinforcements would leave their trucks and move rapidly up the road to get into the fight. Dan would forget about the trucks for a couple turns and then I foolishly pointed out that they could still do some stuff. And boy was that stupid as Dan used them to blind me with vehicle dust...proof again that no good deed goes unpunished!!!

Dan's fire support teams also began moving out of the wadi and heading west. It was time for Rommel to lead his boys towards the objectives.



Dan's western 50L AT Gun went to work on my south flank and tore me up. Carriers knocked out left and right.



Dan's final group of reinforcements show up on the south board edge.

My intrepid boys in the wadi were attacked from all sides. Time was running out for my boys.


They fought gallantly but there were too many Germans coming at them.

Time to fix bayonets!

The close combat would end in Melee...but time was running out.

My intrepid squad was finally eliminated in Melee as Dan's force began to threaten the hillock. His Panzer MKIII had left the wadi to join the fight and would be knocked out by two snakes in a row. Can't remember the last time I rolled back to back snakes...but I liked it!!!



My final reinforcements would come in to try and support the defense on Hill 25. The terrain is pretty rugged and my guys would not get there in time.




Dan's trucks made their dust making debut and effectively blinded me all over the battlefield. I could not hit one of them...which was driving me crazy.

Dan's forces were on the hillock and a huge fight would take place.

On board 25, I was still hanging on to the 3 victory locations, but Dan was pummeling me.




A look at Dan's drive towards the east. He was making good progress and his trucks had shielded him pretty well with their vehicle dust.

While Rommel was driving the attack on the hillock, another huge group was preparing to seize the three locations on board 25. My forces were weakened, but still putting out some good fire.

And Rommel had gotten too close to the action...

My last remaining Valentine and the last armored vehicle still in action...led an overrun attack on Rommel and his kill stack. Success...the entire stack was broken.

Sure Dan was on his way to winning the scenario...but I just captured Rommel and he was on his way to England! WOOHOOO!!!

Churchill addresses the House of Commons...let's listen in..."Today...in the shifting sands of North Africa, our brave lads of the Commonwealth have this day removed the Fox from the desert. Rommel is in the bag. The sun has risen on success for our forces in Africa!" 

Back on board 25, I was losing the fight.

My boys prepared for the end in their sangars.

A final close combat would give Dan control of all 4 victory locations and by rule, the immediate victory! Congrats Dan on a well deserved win. Our final scenario from West of Alamein was an epic fight. We can now leave the desert with our heads held high!!!



Dan's boys would celebrate a great win and Dan would finish as the decisive victor of our West of Alamein campaign. I would be the British in every scenario and Dan the Germans. Dan would win every scenario except one. So he truly is the Desert Fox and I'm...well...I'm staying out of the desert. It doesn't suit me!!!


And now for Dan's Post-Game Comments:
“The plan worked.  Although the scenario is a grueling desert duel.  The Germans used smoke from burning wrecks and vehicle dust to move in and clear the victory locations in close combat.  The British killed all the German tanks and with the last British tank overran and captured my 10-3 leader.  However, the reinforcements took the gully approach to the victory area and the Germans were able capture the victory hexes before they could get into the battle.  My thanks to Grumble Jones for a great game and for the fun of playing the West of Alamein series all the way through.  I can say I have had enough desert scenario for the year.  Thanks for a great good game and great desert series!”


Goodbye Sahara Desert!!!



Europe...here I come!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the endorsement buddy, but - what a great battle!! Your Kiwi's certainly did way better than mine. Terrific play. Plus you captured Rommel as well. I have yet to hear anybody managing to that at Dinant. Had history worked out that way he might have lived to a ripe old age (and probably write a few best sellers etc).

    ReplyDelete