Sunday, March 29, 2020

Our Saturday Game - Rally Point Scenario RPT168 Belgians and Centurions

For our Saturday game, Dan Best and I would find ourselves in Korea. It's been a little while since our last Korean Scenario, so it just felt like it was time to play another one. With the release of LFT's awesome The Fight for Seoul, I imagine there is a lot of current interest in Korean War ASL. I'm personally enjoy the Korean setting. It's especially fun to see Allied tanks taking on the T-34/85's. The infantry combat is essentially WWII with a few amped up extras like the BAZ50. 

It was my turn to pick the scenario, so I selected RTP 168  Belgians and Centurions from the Rally Point 17 Scenario Pack. This is a great pack dedicated to the Korean War.

This scenario was designed by Evan Sherry and covers the actions at YULP'P-RI, South Korean on April 4th, 1951. As the scenario name implies there are Belgians and Centurions on the UN Forces side of the battle.Facing the UN troops are the Chinese of the Chinese Peoples' Volunteer Army, 188th Division, 64th Army. 

The actual fight was a brief meeting action between a Chinese patrol and a UN Centurion tank platoon accompanied by a Belgian/Luxembourger infantry element. The two sides collided in No-Man's Land and traded fire before both fell back to their respective positions.

This scenario is not yet rated on the ASL Archive and ROAR has it with 1 UN Victory and no Chinese wins.



This scenario uses Board 11a with Overlays: B3, OW1 and Wd2. Both sides enter on Turn 1, with the Chinese entering first. The Chinese win the game if they have more VP than the UN force at game end.

After rolling for sides, Dan would command the UN Force made up of the Belgian Battalion and the 8th  Royal Irish Hussars, 29th Brigade, 1st Commonwealth Division. This force would serve in Korea along the Imjin River in 1951 to the Battle of Chatkol in 1953. This unit would receive a US Presidential Citation for it's contributions during the Imjin fighting.

Dan's force would consist of 2 x 4-5-8's, and 5 x 4-5-7's led by a 9-1 and 8-0 with 2 x LMG's and a BAZ50. Supporting the infantry would be 3 x Centurion Tanks.


As the Chinese, I would command the men of the CPVA 188th Division, 64th Army. My force would consist of 6 x 6-2-7's and a 2-2-8 led by a 9-1 and 8-1 with an LMG, DC and BAZ44.





And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:

“This is a meeting engagement where the side with the most CVP wins.  The UN plan is to use the tanks to get around the flanks of the Chinese and prevent them from exiting.  While the infantry move into the village and engage in a fire fight with the Chinese.  In the firefight we will use our range to advantage to have maximum firepower while the Chinese are shooting at long range.  Hopefully the fire fight will allow for a lead in CVP and Chinese units can be caught in the open when attempting to exit.  The UN can armored assault if the CVP balance is in the Chinese favor to eliminate the Chinese units.”


My boys moved first. My strategy...I had to get to hexes 10 or greater in order to get any possible exit VP for my boys on Turn 4 and later. Dan had three tanks, which would be able to get into the middle of the map with ease on Turn 1. I selected two wooded Hexes  numbered 10. These were my objectives.




 Dan's boys came in on their part of Turn 1 - ready to dish out the pain!


In a departure from recent games, Dan came at me from three separate groups. No UN Schwerpunkt.


Now Dan's tank on the east edge had riders and moved through an orchard hex, which caused his rider to bail...they would fail their morale check...kinda like this guy!!


Turn 2 - I had to try and get to the hex 10 woods. Dan was already set up to fire on me as I went into them. But I went in anyway!!!


 So my boys got in and touched base...now they could head for the exit!!!


 Turn 2 - Dan's UN Forces moved their tanks into position from both ends of the village and in the center. I had a  1944 Bazooka, but it couldn't penetrate the Centurions' armor from the front. I would fire and hit a few times...but all my rounds bounced off. The Centurions were going to be a challenge.



 At the end of 2 turns, Dan had control of the west end of the village and a single Centurion on the east end of town, which was unsupported with infantry as the squad that had been knocked off in the orchard had not rallied.



 Turn 3- With tanks closing in...I was getting worried. My boys in the number 10 hexes were too far forward and cut off from running safely towards the exit. But...my boys would win if they had more VP than the UN Forces...so I sent one 6-2-7 running towards Dan's fallen tank riders. They might be an easy way to get some VP.

Dan's LMG would fire at my boys...but distance and some hindrances kept 'em safe!


Turn 3 - Da makes his first push into the village. My bazooka team fires at the Centurion, while my level 1 squad in the village covers them from advancing troops. This bazooka crew would be a bullet magnet for at least two turns, before dying in close combat.



Turn 4 - my 6-2-7 with the DC had striped, but was ready to make a run for the other side of the village. But a Centurion was watching the road. So he dashed...but would go down to a half-squad as the tanks machine guns and MA shot a storm of shells at them. Dan would intensive fire every chance he got. He never broke a gun and got a few extra hits.




After Dan's Centurion had exhausted its fire, I decided it could be approached for some close combat action and my boys  came at it from the village.



 I managed to immobilize the Centurion, but it was still in the fight!


MELEE...the outcome of my Melee with the Centurion would be critical to who would win or lose this battle!

 Turn 4 - Dan's western Centurion goes for an overrun on my bazooka team. I survive the overrun and try to hit the rear of the tank. I roll an 11...Bazooka is kaput...



 While Dan's armor was making progress, his infantry was not as successful. I  managed to break one group. But Dan's fallen tank squad (reduced to a half-squad) had recovered nd then jumped into CC with me.

My infantry would hold their own throughout the game, but a couple hand to hands would be costly.


 Turn 4 would end well for my boys as the  Centurion at the east end of the village was destroyed in close combat. The game changing moment had occurred.



 Yep...the melee in the south ended with both sides eliminated.

 Turn 5 - Dan's last opportunity to move. He would send another Centurion to the east edge of the village. I would send my infantry to try and take down a second tank.

Dan's Centurion would escape and take up a safer position to cover the east end of the village. Meanwhile his boys pushed into the village from the west. I managed to KIA a squad that got too close, but my position was tenuous at best.



Turn 6 - my boys had managed to hold on and not sufferer any additional casualties. I had not exited anyone, but had gained 15 VP to Dan's 9 VP.  So with that, my Chinese had managed to get the win. A surprising result, but my successful elimination of at least one Centurion gave me the VP needed for the victory.


My boys would celebrate the win. My thanks as always to Dan for a great game. ASL can produce some unexpected results. That was certainly the case in tonight's game. Had Dan's squad not broken when they were knocked off the Centurion in the orchard, they might well have helped change the outcome of the battle on the east edge.



And now for Dan's Post-Game Comments:

“The plan did not work.  Aggressive attacks by the Chinese came out to bring the fight to the UN.  The Chinese infantry got into CC and destroyed a tank (with the crew).  This gave them a big lead in CVP.  The UN tried to close with the Chinese to make up the CVP lead but could not eliminate enough CVP for the win.  Well played by Grumble Jones.  Using the Chinese strengths to close with the UN troops and gain a CVP advantage in CC.  This scenario is a good introduction to the Korean War and to the unique strengths of the Chinese troops.  Congrats to Grumble Jones for his win!  Looking forward to playing more Korea scenarios in the future.”


Dan and I will return to the Sahara Desert once more for a playing of 
ASL Scenario 40 Fort McGregor. 

Until then...stay safe everyone and 
we'll see you next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment