Sunday, January 12, 2020

Our Saturday Game - Lone Canuck Scenario Q8 New and Untested

For our second game of 2020, Dan Best and I would turn to Lone Canuck. In recent years, I have become a huge fan of George Kelln's products. For much of my early ASL life, I was firmly rooted in Avalon Hill/MMP products only. I had never purchased any third party products. But then in 2013, I began playing against Chris Brackney (aka Big Kansas). Readers will recall that Big Kanas was my opponent in our epic playing of the Pegasus Bridge CG. Chris introduced me to Lone Canuck and from that point I was hooked. 

As it was my turn to choose scenarios, I went to my Quick 6 II Pack and selected Q8 New and  Untested. After some fairly large scenarios over the last couple games, I wanted something a little less complicated.

Q8 is an East Prussian battle with only infantry on both sides. If you are not familiar with Quick 6 I and II, these packs are designed for quick play as the titles suggest.

They are popping up at tournaments due to their quick play and sometimes, a quick play scenario is just right! This would be one of those times!

On his website, George estimates this particular scenario will take roughly 3 hours to play. So if time is scarce, I definitely recommend you look into getting these great packs.

ROAR currently has this scenario with 1 Russian and 0 German wins. Currently, there are no entries for this scenario in the ASL Scenario Archive.



A look a the strategic situation involving this scenario. New and Untested follows the efforts of the German 551st Volksgrenadier Division to blunt the spearheads of Soviet General Bagramyan's 1st Baltic Front. Specifically, the scenario deals with the 551st's effort to repel a Soviet bridgehead on the River Venta.

Historically, we all know that the Soviets were ultimately successful in spite of small German tactical successes.






Kursenai is located in Lithuania.




As the German attacker in this scenario I would command the new and untested grenadiers of the 551st Volksgrenadier Division. My force would consist of 6 x 4-6-7's and 6 x 4-4-7's commanded by a 9-1, 8-1 and 7-0 with 2 x MMG's and 2 x LMG's. Pretty decent leadership for Volksgrenadiers. And I'll take 4-6-7's and 4-4-7's over 4-3-6's any day of the week!

The 551st was formed in October 1944 and would finish the war in East Prussia.

As the scenario defender, Dan Best would command the men of the 375th Rifle Division of the 23rd Guards Rifle corps. This force would consist of two groups. The first group set up on board and consisted of 4 x 4-5-8's led by an 8-0 with 2 x MMG's for support. On Turn 2, Dan would get reinforcements of 7 x 4-4-7's led by a 9-1 and 7-0 with 2 x MMG's and 2 x LMG's. With 4 x MMG's and 3 x LMG's, Dan's force was pretty machine gun heavy.

Dan's Russians would win the scenarios at Game End by controlling both hexes of the M16-M17 Bridge.

"Ah lads...twill be a grand old bridge fight!"





And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:

“The Russians have four squads to hold the Germans back for two turns.  Then get seven squads to reinforce.  The key building to cover on board 3a is M8.  If the Germans can get some MMGs into M8 they will be able to put a fire lane across the bridge.  The mist does not impact fire lanes.  So, keeping the Germans out of M8 until turn 3 is the objective.  The Russian will set up the 8-0 and a squad in M8 with the two MMG squads on each flanking stone building and the LMG squad will set up in N9 where it can cover both roads through the village.  Dummy counters will set up forward.  I rolled a 4 to get a total of 7 dummy counters.  Set up in stacks of 3 and two stacks of 2.  Hopefully the dummy's will absorb the prep fire and not just be bump checked by HS.”


By SSR an Autumn mist would cover the battlefield.

Ok...the game begins and maybe even ended on the first turn. I knew the circled building was the key to the scenario. If I could get my two MMG's in there, I could keep Dan off the bridge. But knowing what to do and actually doing...well those things would never meet tonight!!!

My boys didn't seem to have their hearts in the upcoming battle...a 2 ELR would be a killer for me...

Dan had Dummy Units up front. My initial Prep Fire would remove the north, but right behind that unit would be an MMG. My initial moves would result in some broken squads and not much else. In hindsight, I should have used my Half-Squad in the north to bump check Dan rather than waste my Prep-Fire on that position. Something to remember for the future. Another item that I also neglected was Panzerfausts. I should have used these on the buildings, but it just slipped my mind.



Dan's sniper would hit me right away and pin a 4-4-7 that was critically needed to go into Close Combat with the MMG. My half-squad in the street would go in for CC and be wiped out. So as you can see...the Turn 1 building objective was not achieved.



12's...let's talk about 12's...no you say...tired of complaints about dice rolls. Me too...but Dan and I would roll round 8 or 9 x 12's in this relatively short game. I would break an MMG, Dan would break his twice. I would also roll 12's three times to casualty reduce myself. It was completely demoralizing for me. Poor die rolls are of course a part of this game, but man sometimes it just really brings you down. This game was one of those times, where I honestly was just ready for it to be over so I could watch Playoff Football. That's pretty bad...

I really have...(confession moment...I never throw my dice...but Dan had to step away for a minute and during that pause in the game... my precision dice found themselves scattered on the carpet...I know a moment of weakness....)

Dan would go on to fix this gun and then break it again. So 12's were plaguing us both.

CC would be the best means for evicting Dan's Russians...but too often these would end up in Melee and this would slow me down way too much.

My Volksgrenadiers were not making fast enough progress. Dan was going to be at the bridge on the next turn and I would not be able to stop him.


Turn 2 - Dan's reinforcements and game winning titans are lined up to take the bridge. 


OH NO...not another FLAG...yep...Dan's entry setup for his Turn 2 reinforcements was incorrect. Thanks to George Kelln for setting us straight. The correct setup for this reinforcements would have been to enter on or between A8-A20.

That's two weeks in a row now for errors. Our apologies.

Yes...but rather quickly apparently and with little comprehension...

The Russian part of Turn 2 was the decisive turn of the game. Once Dan's boys crossed the river and took control of the two bridge victory locations, it was basically game over.

On Turn 3, my grenadiers would make some progress, but Dan was still holding the edge of the village.



Melees would slow me down and give Dan's boys time to get into good positions to keep me away from the bridge.

"Look out....I'm going to finish this melee with a bang!!!"

Turn 3 - Russians move forward from the bridge. My boys manage to break a couple of the squads, but the mist makes it more difficult.



End of Turn 3 - Dan's Russians had all approaches to the bridge well covered with 3 x MMG's and  2 x LMG's.



Even though I had little chance of success, I kept pushing forward.  



 Buy Turn 5, I had gained control of the village. Of course the village was meaningless...I needed the bridge and it was still a loooong way away!



Turn 5 - Russian - Dan's MG in the center went on a rate of fire tear and DM'd a few of my boys. He also advanced into close combat on my flank.

Dan's 9-1 was sitting pretty! He had this game in the bag.

Of course the CC ended up in Melee, but I was now a half-squad....oh joy...  My circled units were all I would have left to make a run for the bridge.

So...Turn 6 -- I could just concede and end the pain....but what the heck...I should try it right!?!

OK...I'll do it...I haven't got a prayer...but sure I'll send my boys charging down the road to certain death.

"Yes...yes I am..."

Ok...so I sent my up front half-squad in a crazy CX dance around Dan's boys in the woods and get to the hex in front of the bridge. I was begging him to shoot at me...and he did and VAPORIZED me.


I had not managed to get Dan's MMG to fire at me. Despite that, his center MMG had been DM'd in Prep Fire...so there was the slightest of chances that my 7-0 could lead his merry band to the bridge...unlikely, but maybe. So I send them down the road. Dan's LMG fires...a 1 Check...my 7-0 breaks, next squad breaks and ELR's next squad rolls a 12...oh that's great!!!...and the third squad breaks and ELR's. And with that...it was game over.



Well...at least it was quick.

Ah...that'll be a no...I'm done...I concede...


With that Dan had the victory! Dan's successful delaying action in the village went a long way to ensuring that his reinforcements would take the bridge and keep it. I never threatened the bridge and struggled to get any momentum for my attack. It was a fun scenario and definitely one I would recommend. Congrats to Dan on a great win!





And now for Dan's Post-Game Comments:

“The Germans came on strong on the right flank and did not go directly for the M8 building with the MMGs.  The right flanks held for three turns before being lost in CC.  This allowed the Russian reinforcements to get across the bridge and set up a defense.  The German attack ran out of steam on turn 6.  The mist was a big factor in the game making all advancing fire ineffective.  The Germans had to clear the positions in CC.  As it was the Russian initial force lost all its MGs and was down to one squad.  Fun scenario that plays fast, it will see a lot of tournament play.  My thanks to Grumble Jones for a great game.”




Dan and I will be back next week as we jump into a playing of GJ079 Woodland Pursuit!!!

We will see you then!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great AAR, but I hate to rain on your parade; the Russian reinforcements enter along the south edge on/between A8-A20. From the picture it has them entering along the east edge on/between L20-N20... an easier and much shorter trek to the bridge.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George. That definitely would have given me a better chance!!! But still a great time and we'll just let it stand. Dan and I will be working harder on our SSR reading. Somehow, it's become a hole in our game preparation over the past couple months.

      Delete