Sunday, July 21, 2019

Our Saturday 3-Player Game - ASL Scenario J164 Aiding the Local Constabulary

So after our ASL Civil War Experiment! Dan and I left the green hills of Pennsylvania to head to the dusty sands of Ethiopia. Joining us for this expedition would be our good friend, Dave Mareske. This would be our third time playing a Three Player game via SKYPE. The last two were great fun and the choice for this night's cardboard carnage looked to be even more fun. The scenario we selected was ASL Scenario J164 - Aiding the Local Constabulary (designed by Martin Hubley and Peter Stfuiff). As you will soon see, this is a very unique scenario and a great deal of thought and effort has been given to put it together. So a tip of the hat to the designers for making this scenario come to life.


This scenario is from the ASL Journal #11. The scenario covers one of the more obscure actions of the Second World War. The action takes place in March of 1941 in Dire Dawa, Ethiopia. At this stage of the East African Campaign, the Italians were losing badly to the British. As the Italians began to surrender, they called on their Colonial Troops to come to Dire Dawa to be demobilized and disarmed. 

Well...some of the Colonial Troops chose to mutiny instead and began to pillage and plunder the town. The Italians in one of the war's stranger moments, telephoned nearby Harar, where British troops, South Africans were currently in control. The Italians requested to be occupied as quickly as possible to end the mutiny. The South Africans set out for Dire Dawa to close out the final phases of the Abbsynian War.



As you may have guessed, there are three distinct forces in this scenario with a special Turn Record Chart to facilitate the three player action. Each side also has three separate groups that enter at differing times during the 5 Turn Game. So there will be a lot going on in this scenario. In fact, your heads may spin from it all!!!! 

ROAR has the scenario with 4 Mutineer Wins, 1 Italian 4 South African and 1 Draw. The ASL Archive has it with 6 Italian/South African Wins and 0 Mutineer and 2 Draws. So there's no telling how this scenario will end up. And draws look like a possibility as well. I am expecting this to be a wild night of ASL.



 The train station is fairly unchanged from the 1940's. This would be the starting point for the Mutiny.





The war in East Africa is one of the more fascinating campaigns. 


One of the interesting aspects of this scenario is that the river hexes are actually -1 level open ground. I'm looking forward to seeing how this plays out as a terrain feature. I can't think of anything like this in any other scenario.

The Victory Conditions are thus:  Each hex of the Arsenal Building and Train Station are worth 2 points to whoever controls them.

The Mutineers earn 1 VP for each Arsenal Hex searched for weapons.

The Italians earn 1 VP for each Arsenal Hex against which they successfully Place/Set a DC.

The South Africans earn 1 VP for each SMC prisoner they possess at game end.

As the Italian Player, Dan  Best would command  elements of the Dire Dawa Colonial Police Garrison. This force would consist of 7 x 3-4-6's, 2  x 4-4-7's, and 3 x 1-3-6's commanded by an 8-1, 8-0, 7-0 and 6+1 with 3 x LMG's, 2 x MMG's, 2 X DC's and 2 x Armored Cars, a Truck and a command car. 

As the South Africans, Dave Mareske would command elements of the 1st Battalion, Transvaal Scottish, 1st South African Infantry Brigade Group. This force would consist of 10 x 4-4-7's led by a 9-1, 8-1, 8-0 and 7-0 with 3 x LMG's, 2 x 51 MTR's, and 2 x MMG's with 3 x Bren Gun Carriers, 5 x Trucks and an Armored Car. 



As the Colonial Mutineers, I would command the demobilized elements of the XL Battaglione Fanteria Coloniale, XVII Bragata Coloniale, Africa Orientale Italiana. This force would consist of 8 x 3-4-7's, and 9 x 3-4-6's led by a 9-1, 7-0 and 6+1 with 3 x LMG's, 3 x MMG's, an ATR and a 60 MTR.



And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:

"The Italian advantage is the two armored cars and central start in the village.  My plan is to contest the armory building and then form a nice tight perimeter around the village centered on the other stone buildings.  Hopefully the two Armored Cars can get to mutually supporting positions and take out the South African AC and Carriers.  Then the ACs can keep the enemy out of the village.  The Italians are going for a win.  Hopefully the South Africans and Mutineers kill each other is a shoot out."






And now for Dave's Pre-Game Comments:

"The best plan for the South Africans will be to let the other two fight things out and come in and mop up.  My side has the luxury of delaying reinforcements with the added bonus of giving them an additional entry point north of the village.  It will be hard to stay out of the fun but delay will be the best option.  I plan to send one group to take the Train Depot and the other two will delay long enough to enter the town from the north.  Capturing leaders will be difficult, I think, but it does give me an edge over the other two sides fighting over the arsenal."


OK...let's get this bad boy rolling. There's a lot action for a 5 Turn Game - but remember, three sides move each turn...so this game had a lot of activity.

One note: Dave would elect to hold back his South Africans from entering on Turn 1. He would instead have them enter on Turn 2 with his Turn 2 reinforcements. It would turn out to be a very wise decision.

As for me and my Mutineers. I honestly....(seriously) had no plan. I was just in this game for fun and to see how it unfolded with three of us.

I moved first and promptly dashed a squad towards the Arsenal. They would be broken and disrupted. and vanish shortly thereafter. Throughout the game, I would be unable to rally the majority of my broken squads.

 Dan brought his Turn 1 reinforcements on the north edge. I had two squads guarding that approach.


 Dan would bring another armored car in from the east edge.




I would fire my ATR from long range, but not hit. My Mortar would pepper the area, but also do nothing.

Dan's Italians would go Berserk. This would be a recurring theme for Dan's boys as they would go Berserk a few more times before the game ended.


On the east board edge, Dan sent another attack group. I would succeed in breaking the infantry with the Armored Car.



On the north edge, another Italian Armored Car (or Armored Truck as Dave corrected Dan throughout the scenario...I laughed a little as they debated this...I don't think they heard me...hehehe...).


Things would go south for me really quickly. First I would MALF my mortar...never to be seen again and then the South African Sniper would begin his rampage against my boys. Dan would roll snake eyes and I would suffer...throughout the game.

Dave's sniper would single-handedly take down my Mutineers.

Dave seemed to have something against Mutineers...go figure...



 The fight for the Arsenal would dominate the first three turns as Dan and I struggled for control. 

My LMG team would succeed in destroying an Armored Car. Cool...that doesn't happen every day...




 I would decide to go in to CC with Dan's boys in the Arsenal. We would end up in Melee.


My Mutineers would be hot and cold in close combat. And they would be ambushed on more than once occasion.

 Dan's next reinforcements would come in from the North.



Dan would prevail in the Arsenal Melee and take control of it. I would send some boys from the Train Station force to assist my 8-1 in an effort to retake the Arsenal.


 Turn 2 - the South Africans arrive and make a strong move to take the Train Station.



Dave's next force would come in form the North ready to contest the Italians for control of Dire Dawa.



 Dave's attack on the Train Station would be led by Bren Gun Carriers. 




Dan's Italians would put up some resistance.



 Overall, Dave's attacks would be successful in getting into his forces into position.


 Dan would throw a DC at the South African armored car. It wouldn't connect.



Back at the Train Station...the South African sniper would hit me again as my buddy Dan kept rolling snake eyes on his part of the battle. The sniper was slowly dismantling my defense at the Train Station.



Not content with my previous bad decisions...I decided to double down on bad ideas and rush towards the Arsenal. I'm a glutton for punishment...what can I say?



 I would also go into CC with Dave's Bren Carrier in bypass. That would work out...sorta...sorta not...


And YES...I would send a squad into the Melee already in progress between Dan and Dave...that's right folks...a blog first...an ASL THREESOME!!! WOOHOOO!!! (children look away from the screen!!!)



Back at the Arsenal I had taken back one of the hexes...but then totally forgot that I get Victory Points by searching the hex....WHY CAN'T I REMEMBER THINGS!!!

Well...that explains it...


 Once again...Dan would go Berserk...crazy Italians!!! But they had a DC...that can't be good!!!



And then the dreaded South African Sniper would hit me again...my last remaining unit with the LMG at the Train Station would be broken. There went my Ticket to Ride!!!!

Hero of the game!!!

After the Berserk DC charge killed more Italians than Mutineers...Dan was forced to commit more men to the Close Combat to evict me from the Arsenal.


 The 3-Way Close Combat would end up with everyone dying...CLASSIC ASL MOMENT!!!



 Dave's boys would take control of the Train Station.



 As Dan and I went toe to toe in the Arsenal...Dave moved his boys deeper into Dire Dawa.



Turn 4 - my Mutineers got reinforcements. I decided to send them on a desperate charge to take back the Train Station. I sent two squads to get Dave's 2-4-7 to fire at them. He did and when he was final fired, I sent my main stack to take down the 2-4-7.



 Dave would take a Final Protective Fire shot and break the entire stack.


Dave asked me if I did that on purpose...


After my attack was crushed...I conceded. I was done and done. The last act of the battle would be Dan destroying a Bren Gun Carrier that got too close.

Game end. The South Africans would emerge with the most Victory Points and Dave would have the win! Congrats to Dave on the win and thanks to both Dave and Dan for a fun night of three player ASL.





Now, I will be honest, I didn't enjoy this scenario quite as much as I would have liked. Just a lot of things went wrong for my Mutineers and suffering Sniper hits because of another Player's rolls just  reduced my personal ELR as I took hit after hit. Despite that, the scenario is a great one and very interesting to play.

And of course the best part of the evening was playing some ASL with Dave and Dan!


And now for Dan's Post-Game Comments:

"My plan did not work.  But this scenario was a wild shoot out across the playing area with many ups and downs by all three sides.  The slug out for the Arsenal building lasted until Turn 3 and cost both sides some of the best troops.  One AC was killed by MG fire (with a burning wreck).  Three separate berserk Italian units with two being successful and returning to normal, the other was killed by their own thrown DC.  Both DCs were used against the enemy and this was a mistake, because without the VP of using them against the Arsenal building the Italians did not have enough compared to the South Africans who captured two Mutineer leaders.  In the end South Africans had the VP advantage.  Well played by Dave for the win!  The Mutineers took the hardest hits being almost completely overrun.  Fun three person scenario with early war infantry action and tin can AFVs."



And now for Dave's Post-Game Comments:

"Well that worked pretty well.  It was mentally hard delaying my Turn 1 Reinforcements, but it was a good move, allowing them to enter north of the town and pick away at the Italian perimeter.  My Turn 2 Reinforcements attacked the Train Depot as planned, and, aided by a very active Sniper (thanks to Dan Best rolling lots of “2s”) was able to defeat them by Turn 3, including capturing the Commissar.  The Mutineers were unable to hold onto  the Arsenal so victory was escaping their grasp. Since things went so well at the Train Depot, I delayed my Turn 3 Reinforcements and planned to enter again North of the village.  The Mutineers tried to relieve the pressure on the Train Depot with their Reinforcements but were stopped by some good DRs from a South African half squad.

I would say the pestering turning point in the scenario was my hot sniper, thanks to Dan’s “2s”, which broke or pinned only Scott’s Mutineers.  Lots going on in the game and I had fun playing it."

Well that's a wrap on this AAR. Dan and I will be off next week as we both head to St. Louis, Missouri...GATEWAY to the WEST and home of the St. Louis ASL Tournament!

I can't wait!!!

See you again in two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment