Sunday, May 12, 2019

Our Satruday Game- Scenario MM54 - Lump Holds the Line

For our Saturday Game - Dan Best and I would choose a scenario from the Kansas City ASL Club's latest March Madness 2019 Close Combat  Scenario Pack. I had the good fortune to have two of my own scenario designs accepted into this particular pack. So, I'm a little biased regarding my feelings for this scenario pack. I love the idea of a pack of scenarios designed to create close combat opportunities. One of the greatest of ASL's mechanics is close combat. I've always thought it adds a lot of fun to any scenario. Getting to grips with your foe in ASL is just plain fun.

The Kansas City ASL Club takes play testing seriously and usually spends several months and game days play testing the scenarios destined for the pack. So both of my submitted scenarios went into this playtesting. As a result, both were modified to get the balance right and make them better scenarios. As I was not able participate in the playtesting, I was looking forward to playing one of my revised scenarios.

I selected MM54 - Lump Holds the Line. This  scenario covers the actions of the Germans and Soviets in the Taman Peninsula in the Spring of 1943. 

The inspiration for this scenario was taken directly from the Osprey Publishing Campaign Series book - The Kuban 1943 by Robert Forczyk. As I have stated before, I'm a hug fan of these books and grab them whenever I get the chance. And every now and again you can find good sales for these. Osprey own website runs specials from time to time. I refer to my collection often, when looking for scenario ideas.  The cover of The Kuban 1943 was the basis for MM54 Lump Holds the Line. In fact, Lump is pictured in action on the cover.






The Kuban Campaign represented the Wehrmacht's last stand in the Caucasus. In the heady summer days of 1942, the Germans had secured Rostov and had moved to seize the Russian oil fields of the Caucasus. The German succeeded in seizing and scaling the highest mountain in Europe, Mt. Elbrus. 
While not militarily significant, it provided the Germans with a huge propaganda triumph.

The German effort in the Caucasus would ultimately stall as more and more resources were shed towards Stalingrad the momentous battle occurring there.

Ultimately, the Germans would be forced into a long and bloody retreat across the Taman Peninsula. The Kuban would be a stiff fight for both sides and the Germans would give ground slowly and at a great cost to the Soviets. By September 1943, the last of the 17th Army would have to evacuated from the Kuban. Nearly 200,000 Wehrmacht veterans were evacuated, which ranked the operation to save those men with Dunkirk. These men would spend the winter shoring up von Manstein's Dnepr River defenses. 

The Kuban Campaign is one of the few to actually have its own movie. 1977's Cross of Iron by director Sam Peckinpah premiered as Star Wars filled the theaters. As an R-Rated movie it could not draw the crowds of a Star Wars and would find its success in VHS and DVD's. The movie is based on Willi Heinrich's Cross of Iron (previously entitled The Willing Flesh). Heinrich, himself, served in the Kuban with the 1st Battalion, 228th Jaeger Regiment of the 101st Jaeger Division. He would be wounded five times during the war.

He would have a successful career as a writer and his central character Cross of Iron,  Rolf Steiner would become a cult favorite and the de facto standard of the Veteran German Landser sick of the war, the Nazis and anything else that would stand between him and the survival of his men.

James Coburn would famously play Rolf Steiner (Richard Burton would also in a later movie - Counterattack). Having read the book and enjoyed the movie over the years, I can say that both are very much worth your time. The book is far more intense than the movie even. The factory fight depicted in the movie pales in comparison with the one described in the novel. It's a terrifying fight against a savage opponent. If you have not read the book, I highly recommend it.  Then watch the movie which is equally good on its own merits.
A still shot from Cross of Iron that shows the Crimea Campaign Shield on Steiner's left sleeve. Presumably, Steiner would also sport the Kuban Shield which was awarded in September of 1943. The movie version of Steiner's character of course...(did I give away a spoiler about the novel???)

So expect to see a few images in this AAR of Steiner, who will play the role of Oberleutnant Karl-Will Lump in this AAR.



The scenario has only been available since March of this year, so it has a small play history. ROAR has it with 1 German 2 Russian Wins. The ASL Archive shows it with 1 German and 1 Russian win. Probably way too early to say it's balance or even leaning towards one side or the other. 

I wrote the scenario to be quick at 5 turns and to force both sides to engage in close combat as often as possible. The action depicted in the scenario takes place on May 28th, 1943 near Borisovka. Through this area ran what the Germans called "The Blue Line" after the pencil color used to denote this particular defensive line. The Russians were constantly probing this line and trying to break-through. At Borisovka, they had nearly succeeded in breaching the German lines. A heavy bombardment had set many of the wooden buildings on fire and had eliminated a great many of the German defenders. Supported by 4 lend Lease Valentine Tanks, the Soviets pushed forward to take the entire village. Only a fanatic charge of Germans led Oberleutnant Karl-Will Lump managed to stop the Soviets and take back the village. This scenario was designed to ensure that at some point during the game, Lump and any with or adjacent to him would go Berserk. Meanwhile, the victory conditions were centered on whoever could control the most non-burning buildings. Once a building had a blaze, it was no longer a victory location. During the course of our game, two additional buildings on top of the initial five would be lost to fire.

After rolling for sides,  Dan got the  Germans and would be the Scenario Attacker (Germans move first his this scenario to show the counter-attack led by Lump). Dan would command elements of the 3rd Kompanie, Panzer Grenadier Regiment 226, 79th Infantry Division. This force would consist of 1 x 4-6-7, 3 x 2-4-7's led by an 8-1 with an MMG and ATR, which would set up in the village. On Turn 1, Lump would lead the following force of 8 x 4-6-8's , led by a 9-2 (Lump)  an 8-0 and a 7-0 with 2 x LMG's, an ATR and 4 x DC's. 

As the Russians, I would on the defense, but also on the attack. And since I was the "home" team, it seemed only fitting that I should get the last "at bat". I would command the men of the Soviet 32nd Guards Division. My force would consist of 9 x 4-4-7's, 4 x 5-2-7's, led by a 9-1, 8-0, and 7-0 with 3 x LMG's 1 x ATR and a DC with 4 x Valentine Tanks for support. Would it be enough to stop Lump??


And now for Dan's Pre-Game Commentary:

"The German advantage in this scenario is the ability to defend more buildings at start and the advantage in morale.  The advantage also starts with fire placement where the Germans determine three blaze locations.  This can reduce the Russian at start victory buildings even further.  The blaze can also break up the Russian fire groups.  I will place the blazes in the two Russian multi-hex buildings and the lone building or church.  Then for set up if the Russian does not burn building M8 I will place the 8-1 squad and MMG there for fire lane attacks.  And reinforce the 8-1 with a squad and LMG.  The ATR will protect the M8 building from a few hexes away and the rest of the set up force will screen the buildings.  The reinforcements will come on and set a solid defense for the German buildings.  Being careful not to have too many squads near Lump...never more than 4 since when he goes berserk he takes all adjacent troops with him.  Lump is powerful in his own right with -2 to attacks and an extra -1 if he can participate with his firepower.  The DC will be given to HS units and I will deploy one squad that enters with two DCs to have 4 HS with DCs.   These HS will draw a lot of fire.  While the DC are useful against tanks they also will be used vs any infantry stacks in buildings.  Hopefully Lump will not go berserk too early and the Russians will be broken up before the charge across the street."



Prior to setup, both Players take turns placing five burning building counters on the village. This reduces the number of available Victory Locations from 20 to 15. After placing these, there would be 5 Victory Locations in the Russian set up area nd 10 in the German set up area. Whoever controlled 8 (unless additional buildings burned)  at game end would win.

A look at the Russian setup with my Tanks set up to conduct a pincer move when I got the chance to move.

 The German setup, with Lump ready to lead the counter-attack.



Turn 1 opened with Dan's grenadiers moving into position. I managed to DM the 7-0 and a squad as they moved. Dan's other squads moved without much difficulty.

 True to form, Dan did try to run a half-squad at me a DC. I was able to stop them this time...



 In Advancing Fire - the flames would spread to a new building.



On my portion of Turn 1, I moved to hit both flanks. I had a 5-2-7 on each tank. I drove up to point blank range and then bounding fire to knock off my riders. Some didn't fare well and would break. At the end of the turn, my attack had failed as every 5-2-7 either broke or was pinned. My tanks were in good position...so that was a positive.



By the end of Turn 1, we had another building that was burning. The first floor was still intact, but the upper level was on fire and producing enough smoke to mess up my LMG downstairs.


Going into Turn 2, I was stymied....the Germans had too much firepower covering the road. I was having difficulty turning either flank and couldn't stand toe to toe to the Heroic Lump with his -3 DRM.

"Time to skulk Dmitri!!"

Turn 2 - Dan came at me again with half-squads bearing gifts. On the left, I would eliminate both half-squads with Demos. But on the right, Dan would get a demo placed. Fortunately, I would survie it.



Big Thunder...no rain!!

Then the floor above Lump's position caught fire. Our second additional building had no flamed up. This would reduce the available victory locations to 13. Control of 7 would now win the game.

Having survived the DC attack, I was then attacked in CC by the  half-squad. I would win the ambush and eliminate them.



 On my part of Turn 2- I sent my tanks to control the backfield of the village.

"Hey comrades...next time...can we have some Grant Tanks...just a thought..."

Heading into the half-way mark. I was hurting on the infantry side of things. I had taken down some of Dan's many half-squads, but Lump still had a  nice number of 4-6-8's to work with. I had ELR's a couple squads and in general was not making my Rally attempts, which slowed down the momentum of my attacks.



A look at the battle showed that both sides had suffered losses, but the German position in the center and on the left was largely unchanged. On right, I had taken a building and if things went right, I was in striking distance of more. My only problem...I only had one squad.


 Dan sent another half-squad into CC with one of my Valentines. 



I decided not wait around for Dan to blow me up, so moved into the heart of the village and right past Lump's position.

 Lump's position let me drive on by. But a 2-4-8 tossed a DC on me. 





 The DC would land on the Valentine.




 Scratch one Valentine!



So now...we get to the moment in the game where my poor decisions would haunt me. The 2-4-8 that destroyed the Valentine would take a hard hit from my 8-0 stack. They would roll Snakes and then a 12 and go Berserk. UGH!!

OK...so I chose go into CC in the south and would end up in Melee. In the north, I had a big decision to make. Should I go into CC with the Berserk half-squad. I had 3 squads...6 to 1 odds and they would be lax. But...even if win, in the next German Prep-Fire - Lump would hit me with a flat shot.t. Could I take that hit?? I said no and decided to wait for the berserk half-squad to enter my hex in the next German Movement Phase.




Ok...so by SSR after Turn 2 - on each friendly Rally Phase the German Player must roll to see if Lump goes Berserk. On Turn 4...he would go berserk. Now I was in real trouble. I should have gone into CC with the berserk half-squad and been ready to hit Lump as he crossed an open street. But alas...that ship has sailed.

Lump was coming for me...

The half-squad came at me first and got in. I kept rolling 9's, 10's, 11's...you know the kind of rolls that ensure that you get wiped out.




Next up was Lump and his kill stack. They ran through the street past the destroyed Valentine and easily made it through the 12 resid to hit me full steam.

I couldn't help thinking that it was playing out just like the painting of Lump on the book cover....

 In Advancing Fire - Lump just annihilated me with a 3 KIA. Everyone died.



But Lump had a rolled a three when he annihilated my stack which activated my sniper and wouldn't you know it...it landed right on Lump and hit him dead on. It was a 2 Sniper...so wound severity and Lump would survive with only a wound...which again was historically accurate. How about that!

With that, I gave Dan my concession. I was beaten and beaten bad. I didn't have a single good order squad on the map. So Dan had the win in hard fought battle. It was a great win for him!!

Oberleutnant Karl-Will Lump would celebrate his victory in a field hospital with Senta Berger...and who wouldn't!?!


A last look at what had been a really fun scenario. It played out as I hoped would...except for me loosing of course!! My thanks to Dan for a great game and for allowing me to submit my designs to the KC Club's scenario packs. I couldn't be more appreciative.





And now for Dan's Post-Game Commentary:

"The plan worked well.  The 8-1 dominated the right flank and Lump dominated the left for the first three turns.  Breaking up the Russian attacks.  One DC was used against infantry and one got good placement on a tank for destruction.  Then Lump went on a charge and was able to eliminate the Russian 8-0 and three squads without any casualties on turn 4.  Leaving the Germans in the Russian block with few defending Russians.  This scenarios is a wild melee ride with random events of blazing buildings and fighting.  The scenario is great fun and non-stop excitement for both sides.  It really captures the unpredictable nature of a street fight on the eastern front.  My thanks to Grumble Jones for another great game and a well designed scenario!"


Dan and I will return next Saturday for a playing of 
Classic ASL Scenario F - The Paw of the Tiger.

See you then!!!



But now it's time to roll and get to Westeros!!!


2 comments:

  1. Love it. All of your posts really, that I have read. Sam peckinpah meets asl. It was a great movie for him and James Coburn. I remember making my friends in high school watch it and they loved it. Salutations from Upstate NY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments! Used to have family in Johnstown, NY and recently my work has taken me to Albany and then to Saratoga Springs, which I just love. I have a supplier in Cambridge Valley, NY, which brought me to that part of New York. Beautiful country along the Hudson.

      Thanks for spending time at Grumble Jones! I really appreciate it.

      Delete