Sunday, February 24, 2019

Our Saturday Game - ASL Scenario WO30 As Luck Would Have It

For the next game in "Our Saturday Game" series, Dan  Best and I looked to the new MMP Winter Offensive Pack. I'm a huge fan of scenarios set in Normandy and especially anything at or near the Pegasus Bridge fighting. WO30 As Luck Would Have It takes place in Ranville, which is to the east of Pegasus Bridge and would involve the actions of the British 5th Parachute Brigade. While Frost and the Ox and Bucks battled to hold Pegasus Bridge, the men of the 5th Parachute Brigade found themselves in a desperate fight against the might of the 21st Panzer Division. Any failure of these British Paratroops to hold the line at Ranville, would have allowed the 21st Panzer to make a run at the Pegasus Bridge from the east.

The WO Bonus Pack #10 has some great scenarios and two of the great doublewide boards: 10a and 11a. I really like doublewide boards. Cause a doublewide is always better? Right? 

WO30 is Pete Shelling design and I'm a big fan of his scenarios.

One of the MMP releases I look forward to the most each year is in fact the Winter Offensive Pack. These are priced well, have good scenarios and usually have one or two new maps. Just a lot of value to these in my opinion.

I'd love to see MMP provide more packs like these more frequently and perhaps focused on specific actions with 4 scenarios and the boards to go with it. 






The scenario takes place on June 6th, 1944 at La Bas de Ranville, France. The British 5th, 6th and 3rd Parachute Brigades all landed in this general vicinity. The map gives a good idea of the location of Ranville in relation to Pegasus Bridge. 

Another view looking from above Benouville towards Ranville. It's easy to forget that Pegasus Bridge was not the only bridge that had been secured. Additionally, the Merville Battery had to be dealt with to ensure that it could pound Sword Beach. The second bridge is known today as the Horsa Bridge and would be the bridge held by the British Red Devils.

Ultimately the 6th Parachute Brigade would hold the Horsa Bridge.

The Horsa Bridge actually crosses the Orne River and was as strategically important as Pegasus Bridge.

ROAR has the scenario with 5 British Wins and 6 German Wins.

The ASL Archive has the scenario with 1 German and 1 British win.









Above are two outstanding books about the fight at Ranville. The Battleground Europe series is quite good. This series covers nearly every aspect of the Normandy Campaign. The Hemidal volume on the 21st Panzer is a huge book with a ton of excellent photographs, many of which chronicle the fighting near and around Ranville. It is primarily in French with a good amount of English throughout. 

After rolling for sides, Dan would get the Germans and would command elements of Panzer Grenadier Regiment 125 and Sturmgeschuetz-Abteilung 200 of the 21st Panzer Division. The 21st Panzer would be the single Panzer Division to attempt to reach the beaches on June 6th. This storied Division would ultimately be destroyed in the nightmare of the Halbe Pocket.

Dan's force would consist of 5 x 4-6-8's, 6 x 4-6-7's, led by a 9-1, 8-1, and an 8-0 with 2 x MMG's, 2 x LMG's and a Panzerschreck. For support Dan would have 1 x GSW39H (f) 105, 2 x GSW39H(f) 75 Paks and a single MKIV J. 

As the defending British, I would command elements of the 12th Parachute Battalion, 5th Parachute Brigade, 6th Airborne Division. My force would consist of 8 x 6-4-8's, led by a 9-2, 8-1 and an 8-0 with 2 x LMG's, a 51 MTR, a Piat and a 57L AT Gun. I would also begin the scenario with 4 x Foxholes.

And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:

"The German attack in this scenario will be around the west side and into the victory buildings.  With some skirmishers along the broad front to pin his defenders in place.  The Germans can deploy two squads so those 4 HS will be the skirmishers.  The 105 GSW will also go on the east flank to block lateral reinforcement.  I expect the At gun to be on that side of the battlefield.  Hopefully the 105 GSW will dodge the fire and find somewhere out of LOS to over watch.  The rest of the tanks and the infantry let by the 9-1 and 8-1 kill stacks will hit on the west.  The 4-6-8 squads will have the SW in a MMG LMG combo.  So each kill stack is 16 - 20 FP.  The tanks will try to get around the bocage and cut route paths while the infantry clear the path.  The Germans must capture all the buildings if they lose all four tanks.  Or 8 VP in buildings if they do not lose a tank.  Likely if we avoid the AT gun we will lose half the tanks.  If the AT is on the west side...we will have to capture all the buildings.  Key will be to take prisoners to avoid routing."

A look at my defensive setup. The victory conditions required the Germans to have 8 more VP than the British at Game End. The British only had one way to earn VP's and that was by destroying German armor. For each German tank eliminated, the British would get 1 VP. The German player would receive 1 VP for each wooden building controlled north of Row J and 3 VP's for each stone building controlled north of Row J. Additionally, the German player would receive normal VP for each non-crew MMC that exited the north edge between Q4 and Q17. 

I agonized over my defense for a week. I changed it at least four times before settling. My recent  loss streak weight heavy on my mind. I've been playing badly for much of the past few weeks. So I wanted to make a much better effort going into this game. My efforts would be for nothing. WARNING: I will be a little "chippy" during today's AAR. As you will see, the dice would once again have something to say about whether or not I would enjoy success or failure during this scenario. And frankly...I get awfully tired of the dice turning ASL into something akin to playing a slot machine at Vegas.

Dan's initial approach. Dan has been using Schwerpunkt tactics quite successively in our last few games. For tonight's assault, Dan would hit me hard on my right flank, while sending a screen with heavy tank support towards me left. Dan had rightly guess that my AT Gun was watching the open grain fields. Overall, I think his attack plan was first rate.

The battle begins! Dan's armor moves along my right with armor assaulting infantry. I manage to get a solid hit on one of the stacks and broke an officer and a couple squads. Meanwhile my sniper would break one of Dan's screening half-squads. The British sniper would show up again...







My AT Gun would take a shot at Dan's 105 GSW39 as it stopped to fire at my mortar team. 

I didn't expect to hit, but was looking for acquisition going into my Prep Fire in Turn 1. I roll to hit..."12"...gun breaks. First shot...gun is down. And never to return to the battle as I eventually destroyed it on my Turn 4 repair attempt. The dice had drawn first blood.





My mortar would be more successful and manage to immobilize the GSW39 105. Overall, my first turn defensive effort had gone ok.

I was severely injured by malfing my 57L AT Gun, but at this time...didn't know it would never be returned. Hope can a be a cruel mistress.

A look at Dan's first turn progress. Dan's boys had taken some licks and one tank was down, though still very dangerous.



My Turn 1 Prep Fire would inflict additional breaks on Dan's grenadiers. Dan had taken a chance that my concealed unit on the west board edge was a Dummy. It was not. A 6-4-8 was located there. I thought about retreating it (and should have), but the chance to take a 12 flat shot at Dan's 9-1 with 3 squads and both MMG's...was too tempting. I would break Dan's boys...but lose my squad and open up my entire right flank.



In my Advance Phase I had moved my 6-4-8 to the very board edge..this would ensure its later capture. In his Turn 2 Prep Fire, Dan would maul me hard... His Tanks would get a critical hit on my 8-1 with the LMG in the upfront fox hole. Everyone was KIA'd. There is no defense against snake eyes.

My 6-4-8 on the far west edge would roll a "12" on a NMC and replace itself with a DM'd 3-3-8, which would be captured. The German MKIV would go after my next foxhole location. The 6-4-8 there would unload with the PIAT and destroy the MKIV.

I was holding my own against the German armor despite the loss of my 57L AT Gun.

But Dan's Grenadiers were another story and continued to press ahead. My PIAT boys would soon have company as Germans jumped into Close Combat with them. My right flank was collapsing. And I only had a 3-3-8 in the back two stone buildings. The other was a Dummy Unit. My 9-2 in with the 57L AT Gun was running through the grain to get to the buildings before Dan's Grenadiers. Only problem...Dan's immobilized GSW39H (f)  105 had a nice open look at my route.

My 9-2 and 6-4-8 with LMG would barely make it as two Dan's GSW39H's would take shots and miss by "1" on both occasions. I was not completely without some good luck in this scenario. I would also  send 2 of my 6-4-8's after the GSW39 75 PAK on the center road. 



I would succeed in destroying the GSW39 75 PAK in the road, but Dan's other one fired into the foxhole melee breaking everyone. My boys would try to get to safety but not make it. I had destroyed 2 of Dan's tanks and had 2 VP's, which would force Dan to get at least 10 to beat me. But I was in trouble. Nearly half of my men were gone and the Germans were closing in fast.



I had a single 3-3-8 still holding the far east flank. With no Germans making a move in that direction, I saw an opportunity to take out the immobilized GSW39 105. So off my boys went to take it out.

Dan sent a 4-6-8 to deal with my tank hunters. And the rest of Dan's boys made their push into the village. The stage was set for the final act.

Dan's 9-1 could see victory!

My 3-3-8 won the race to the immobilized GSW39 105. I had a Gammon bomb...I needed an 8 or less to smoke the tank. I rolled an '11'. MELEE...with a German 4-6-8 on the way. I had missed my one...best chance to take it out.

"uhhh Houston...let me say again...I missed the roll...I say again...I missed the ROLL!!!"

Dan's Grenadier moved deeper into the village and had me on the ropes. I was in deep trouble. Then my Sniper hit the immobilized GSW39 H 105. We determined that the Crew would have to abandon the vehicle. My boys would have another shot in Melee against the tank. And yes...once again I missed the roll and was no in Melee with the Crew.

Yeah...I started to really lose it...

Two CC's and a Close Combat. My 7-0 routed 2 of my broken 6-4-8's out of the village. My 9-2 was in real trouble in the village.

My chance for winning this scenario flew right by me!!!

My 9-2 was holding out and my 8-0 was working to Rally the two squads with him. The 4-6-8 finished off my 3-3-8 in the immobilized tank melee.  It was a really depressing moment. 

 Dan's Turn 5 moves put him in position to complete his victory.




My 7-0 rallied both squads and in my final movement in Turn 5, I sent them into the village to try and reclaim some buildings. A burst of MG fire would cause an NMC. My 7-0 and both squads would break by rolling a  9, a 10 and 10. Meanwhile my 9-2 would attempt to destroy the last German GSW39H 75 PAK that was sitting adjacent to him. And yep...I needed 11 or less. And yes I rolled an '11' and only immobilized it. It would fire and break me. Game over....



A final look at a dismal performance. Dan's Germans had a complete victory. My boys were all dead on the field or soon to be prisoners of the Reich. Across the battlefield German Grenadiers could be heard saying..."Englander, fuer Sie ist der Krieg vorbei."

My boys would not accept their captivity happily.

Luck plays a huge role in the game of ASL. Sometimes it favors you and sometimes it doesn't. You have to try and take it in stride. 

This game tested me hard. You always want to be the best version of yourself and celebrate the good things that happen on both sides of the board. But this night, I would succumb to some real anger at the futility of  missing die rolls. It's a sad truth that you can't control or predict your rolls and you have as much chance of rolling snakes as boxcars or rolling a three. Every roll is random. Bell curve or no bell curve. Every roll is random. Accepting that is necessary to maintain your composure and your in-game dignity. The dice that hurt me so badly this night are the same ones that at the St. Louis Tournament allowed me to win my final game of the tournament before the end of the first turn. So...you take the pain and move on. Better rolls will always be there.

Congrats to Dan and his Grenadiers on a great win. Dan's Schwerpunkts are getting it done. And tonight's game was a great example of using a Schwerpunkt to push an unstoppable force at your opponent's defense. Like Nathan Bedford Forrest at Brice's Crossroads, Dan is keeping the "SKEER" on me!!



And now for Dan's Post-Game Comments:
"The plan worked.  But it is hard to tell if it would have worked with better dice for my opponent.  The dice were not average.  My dice were mildly good but Grumble Jones's dice were truly terrible.  Just about every bad roll happened.  The AT gun broke, then could not be repaired (much like the real event).  Then his 8 morale troops broke nearly every time.  And his troops rolled very bad in close combat missing several good chances to kill the GSW vehicles.  Coupled with several critical hits by me and only one boxcars on my part made for an unbalanced outcome.  As it was the Brits were wiped out in turn 6.  More even dice would have had several surviving Brits and all the German tanks killed.  Which would have had the game very different.  The Germans would have had to try for exit at the end .  Despite the bad dice Grumble Jones played like a trooper and we had one very unique battle result with the British sniper getting a 1 on the 105 GSW while a British 3-3-8 was in CC with it.  Had to read the rules carefully for that result.  Always fun to learn something new from the rulebook.  My thanks for another great game goes to Grumble Jones!  He earned the right to grumble about his dice in this match."




Dan and I will be back next Saturday for a playing of ASL Scenario 125 First Crisis at Army Group North. 


We'll see you then!!!

11 comments:

  1. We toyed with the idea of 2 AT guns-- but that would have created other balance issues. Sometimes a HIP AT gun is like OBA -- hold as a 'threat' for a while just to keep opponent tentative. Looks like you did the best you could with what the dice gave you. Excellent blog, always a pleasure to read. Love the maps at the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a great scenario! Losing the gun didn’t really hurt my defense. I destroyed two tanks and immobilized the other two without the gun. Despite my struggles, I had a good time playing this scenario. There was a great map in the Heimdal book which spot on showed the 5th Parachute Brigade at Ranville and right across from the exact German units you put in the scenario, so excellent job sir on this scenario !

      Delete
    2. My main source was Lloyd Clark's 'Orne Bridgehead' from the Battle Zone Normandy series (A great series, from which you will see more scenarios in the not-too-distant future :)

      Delete
    3. Looking forward to them already!!!

      Delete
  2. Hopefully those dice turn around for you next time. Great AAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jody, I use the same dice for every game. They are Battleschool precision dice. Somedays they love me and somedays they hate me.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes it’s tough for me to keep a positive player morale.

    Thank you again for the posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be challenging. I am always inspired by Dan. He cheers his opponent's snake eyes with as much enthusiasm as he does his own. He is a model player. I wish I was as good a sport as he is. The key to remember is that it's only a game...well maybe the "greatest" game, but a game nonetheless and just being able to play is a joy all by itself!

      Delete
  4. Even when dice are good they can still yield bad things; case in point in my CG of Hatten where my Germans have generated 10 Hero's (2 Heroic Leaders and 8 Hero's from the Ranks, in just 4 turns) but I have also 4 boxcar rolls in rallies/MC's and my American counterpart has generated 3 CH's in the game.
    So Yea I fell your dice pain; mine usually at the hands of VASL Dice, as my Battle School dice don't ding me nearly as bad in FtF Games.
    As Always, I enjoy the read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, the randomness provided by the Dice in ASL is one of great aspects of the game. It allows for some really exciting an fun turn of events and for some really awful ones as well. It's one of the things that makes the game so great.

      Delete
  5. Played this scenario this past weekend. My opponent heavily defended the buildings, so my Boche went for the exit VP. Once he malf'ed his gun, it was all over. My three remaining AFV sealed off any chance for my opponent to stop me and I waltzed off the board. It could have been very different if he hadn't gakked the AT gun.

    ReplyDelete