Wednesday, February 20, 2019

It's Tournament Time and March Madness in Kansas City is right around the Corner!

Yes indeed...ASL Tournament Season is on us! Here are some of the ASL Tournaments that are coming up: ASL Scandinavian Open 2019 (February 27th - March 3rd), Nor'easter XXXIII (March 21st-24th), The West Coast Melee (February 21st-24th),  Malaya Madmen in Singapore, July 26th - 28th, The 2019 Texas Team Tournament June 20th-23rd, 22nd Annual St. Louis ASL Tournament July 26th-28th....Are you keeping up!?!...that's a lot of ASL Action and it's just a sampling of the tournaments available throughout the coming year.

And of course I didn't even mention the Kansas City March Madness Tournament March 15th-17th...which is one of my annual pilgrimages.















For me, the annual Thursday night drive after to work to Kansas City is the beginning of my tournament season. Last year's drive along Missouri Highway 36 as the sun set on my way to ASL Goodness in KC. And I just can't wait to be back in Kansas City and see everyone and play some awesome ASL!

Now, the Kansas City Tournament was not my first ASL Tournament. Like many folks out there (maybe even you!), I was very apprehensive about attending a tournament. I was convinced that I was not good enough, smart enough, or familiar enough with the rules to attend a tournament. 

But in 2013, I was coaxed a bit by folks like Chris at ASL Battleschool and Rick Reinesch of the Texas ASL Club. So it was that in 2013, I took the leap into the greater pool of the ASL Community. I headed to Texas for one of the most memorable vacations of my life. I took the family and visited San Antonio...including the River Walk and of course the Alamo (which is a pilgrimage every NE Tennessee boy must make to honor Davy). From there I hit Fredricksburg, Texas and saw the Museum of the Pacific War (another must see place). And from there it was off to Round Rock (Austin Area) to compete in the Texas ASL Team Tournament. And who should I play in my very first game...you guessed it...Mr. Dan Best. So can you imagine if had not attended that tournament...if I had not stepped out of my comfort zone and taken that leap of faith that I could attend a tournament and have a good time ?? Well...this blog would sure be a whole lot less interesting that's for sure.

I spent three fantastic days playing in Texas that June of 2013 and had one of the greatest times of my life. And I didn't just show up and play...I actually competed...I cam in second place after Dan Best for the Major Johnson Trophy and won the Audie Murphy Award for most snake-eyes...which is almost completely unbelievable.




I played some of the greats in the game from Roy Connelly to Matt Shostak to David Longstreet. I won a few and lost a few. But man...what an amazing experience it was to participate in that great tournament. Needless to say...I was hooked on tournament play and have made it a point to attend tournaments each year as often as work and my wife will allow!

So, if you are on the fence about attending a tournament...here are some key considerations for you!

I have enlisted Dr. Rollwright to provide some of the top reasons to attend a tournament. There are many more, but these stand out.  And let's talk to these for a minute and start with #1 Meeting New Players. Meeting new players is probably the single best aspect of attending a tournament. You will meet and play with a whole new group of people and yes...some of them will become life long friends...





















So as you can see, you will meet a lot of new players at any tournament you choose to attend. 

But what about #2 Learning to Play Better...does this really happen. Oh yeah, it happens in a New York minute, because you're playing against some really great players, who both know the rule and how to apply it. I learned more in my first three games in Texas than I had in the 30 years leading up to the tournament!!! It was amazing. And I continue to learn at each tournament. Last year in St. Louis I learned how deadly effective Dashes could be in a DASL urban board as Dave Ginnard educated me! So check the box on #2 - You will become a better player...no doubt about it (it doesn't mean you will win...only that you will be better...that which does not kill you....makes you stronger and doubly so in ASL.)

#3 Firm up your grasp of the rules - Yep, check the box on #3...you will learn and remember more about the rules than you ever thought possible. And in a good way, not in a bad way. I know...every ASL group has the "Rules Lawyer" who finds a way to turn each rule into a weapon to harm you with. But don't fret...I have never found anyone at any of the tournaments that practiced that kind of behavior. Are the rules applied, you bet they are, but never in a way that leaves a bitter taste in your mouth. And it's great to add this knowledge to your game. You will leave the tournament with a veritable arsenal of rules that can help you play better. And that's always a good thing!

An one word of advice about the rules. Table space is always at a premium at a tournament, so make sure you have a copy of LFT's excellent RAT CHARTS and the pocket edition of the ASL Rule Book. These two things will make your life much easier!

OK...#4 Play a lot of Scenarios in short time - this one is really up to you. You decide how much you want to play. Now in KC and STL there are 5 Rounds with 2 on Friday, 2 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. Each round has a specific list of scenarios that can be selected for that round. So if you are playing strictly tournament, then you will average 2 games a day. But of course there will be opportunities for free play and the sky's the limit.

The Texas Team Tournament is all free play and you pick the scenario, your opponents and how many games you want to play. The Major Johnson Award is given to the player who plays the most ASL over the course of the tournament. Scoring is based on the complexity of the scenarios chosen. So a night paratroop drop with tanks, fortifications, and a water crossing would get you a lot of points....but playin Gavin Take will only get you a few. So even if you don't win a game in Texas you have a shot at one of the event's premier awards.

Speaking of which...the Awards at these Tournaments along with the Shirts and Raffle Prices are almost as much a part of the fun as the actual gaming! SWAG and more SWAG...what could be better!?!


 Some of the many trophies presented at the Texas Team Tournament in 2013.


Shirts...you gotta have a shirt!!







OK recruits...that's all I can thing of to say about tournaments! Hopefully, I've inspired you to journey to Malaya, Albany, Cleveland, St. Louis, Austin, and of course KANSAS CITY BABY!!!

Just look for the guys with their heads in their hands....the classic sign of an ASL PLAYER!!!










Ok...good luck and hope to see you in Kansas City...St. Louis or BOTH!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment