Sunday, January 20, 2019

Our Satruday Game - ASL Scenario 127 - Land Leviathans


For our Saturday Game - Dan Best and I returned to the Russian Steppes to play an ASL classic, Scenario 127 Land Leviathans. Despite being a classic scenario, I had never played this one. One of the main reasons was the lack of infantry on the Russian side. In my old group of players in St. Louis, we tended to shy away from armor-only scenarios. So, when Dan suggested we take this one on, I was eager to give it a whirl. The scenario covers actions in early July 1941, when the Germans were advancing unchecked across the steppes of Soviet Russia. As Guderian's panzers were grinding towards Smolensk, STAVKA released a crack armored reserve, the 1st Moscow Motorized Rifle Division to hold the line. This unit had both KV-2's and the new T-34 tanks. Their appearance would be a rude awakening for the Germans, who suddenly found their panzers unable to stop enemy tanks.


The scenario itself depicts the efforts of the German 18th Panzer Regiment to halt the surprise Soviet armored assault. The scenario was previously released in the AH General as Scenario Q. For the Q version, ROAR shows 32 Russian wins and 22 German wins. The scenario was updated for Beyond Valor 3 as Scenario 127, which is the version, which Dan and I would play. ROAR has the 127 version with 9 Russian wins and 5 German wins. The ASL Archive has it as 4 Russian wins to 4 German wins. While the Russians have no infantry support, the Germans have a nice group of Panzergrenadiers, who would prove invaluable as our game progressed.

After rolling for sides, I would be the defending Germans of the Panzer Regiment 18. My force would consist of 6 x 4-6-7's, led by a 10-2 and 9-1 with an HMG and 2 x ATR's. My armor would consist of 3 x  MKIIIF's with 37L guns and a 10-2 Armor Leader. On Turn 2, I would also get 2 x MKIVD's with 75* guns and a 9-2 Armor Leader. A really nice, early war Panzer force. Leadership wise, I can't remember the last scenario where I would field 2 x 10-2 officers.

Opposing my panzer-men would be Dan's 1st Moscow Motorized Rifle Division. These boys were a crack unit and by SSR would have '9' Morale. This would be very important in keeping Dan's crews in their tanks when immobilizations occurred during the battle. Dan's all armor force would consist of 1 x KV-2, 1 x T-34, 3 x BT-5 M34's, 4 x T-26S M37's, 1 x T26 M33 and 1 x BA-6 with a single 9-1 Armor Leader. Dan would place his armor leader in the T-34.

And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments: 
"For the Russians the big challenge is the need to be in platoon movement and the red movement numbers.  Only the KV tank gets to move independently and only the armored car has black movement numbers.  There will be little stopping for most vehicles.  On the plus side two tanks are unlikely to be stopped by enemy fire, the KV and the T-34.  So exiting a third tank will be the biggest challenge.  My plan is to enter first with the KV and then a platoon of two T-26 tanks, then a second platoon of three T-26 tanks, then the T-34 in platoon with the AC and finally a platoon of three BT-5 tanks.  The KV and first platoon of T-26 tanks will go on board 4, the T-34 and other platoon of T-26 tanks will go through board 3 and try for an exit on board 2.  The BT tanks will try to climb the hill on board 3 and engage the German tanks and infantry.  Mostly to force them to lose concealment and be careful moving on turn 1.  The BT-5 tanks will then go for exit on board 4.  The T-34 will try to keep the Germans occupied and to kill the German tanks in battle, so it will have the 9-1 armored leader.  Hopefully the German will spend so much time killing the Russians on boards 2 and 3 the board 4 force will make an exit."


A look at the board as we prepared for play. By SSR, the Germans had to set up on Board 3. I placed my 10-2 on a level 2 hill...and ready to fire. The other two tanks set up with movement in mind. My infantry would send a half-squad, each with an ATR to either flank. My ATR's would be incredibly important to my defense.

The Grumble Jones staff photographer would be imbedded with the Germans for this scenario's coverage.

By SSR, Dan's force had to enter along the same road, which of course slowed down the initial entry and would give my boys a chance to react. Only one BT-5 would appear as a target as it crested Hill 522. I would succeed in immobilizing it, but its crew would stay with the tank. Dan's other tanks spread out and would move towards the west board edge and victory along each of the 3 boards.


My 10-2 would get  his first hit of the game.
In my part of Turn 1, I moved infantry and tanks to try and seal the exits. In Prep Fire, my 10-2 would finish off the BT-5 on Hill 522 and chalk up the first kill of the game.


With the BT-5 eliminated, by Panzergrenadiers were able to move to new positions and retain concealment.
A look at the situation as we headed into Turn 2. I had my three tanks in position with an ATR on each flank to support.

Dan's boys in the south moved first, with the KV-2 leading the way as it lumbered towards my lines like a giant Oliphant!

I had decided early on not to even waste shots on the KV-2. It was expected to exit the board.

My 10-2 would however pepper ROF shots at the accompanying T-26's. He would successfully shock one...but then roll an 11 and break his MA. UGH...My only armor defending the south was now out of action.


My 10-2's war was now over. I would go own to destroy the MA and his tank would be recalled. So he radioed to the remaining Panzermen and wished them well as he headed back to base.

"Viel Glueck Jungen!"

In the center, I had moved a MKIII hull down to confront the next column of Soviet Tanks. I was quite pleased with myself until Dan used bypass movement to push the entire column by me unseen. DRATS!!!! Nicely done by my opponent.

Yep...Dan completely faked me out!!!


And then...Dan's T-34 and Armored car came crashing through in another Bypass movement to take me on at point blank range...AEEIIEEIEIEI...


Dan was holding nothing back and going for the kill.


But then things went haywire for the Russians. My MKIII managed to immobilize the Armored Car and kept ROF to hit the T-34. But Dan's T-34 had gone for a 1 MP extra to stop and missed the ESB roll. The T-34 had immobilized itself. 

For the moment my boys had thrown back the Russian Bear!

But...my gallant defense was quickly extinguished in Advancing Fire as the T-34 lit me up.

I know...don't mess with the Russian Bear or Sasquatch!!

Just like that I was down to a single MKIII...


But...my reinforcements arrived in the nick of time. I had sent my last MKIII towards the south, so my two MIV's moved to stop Dan's center force from exiting. The T-34 and Armored car were still alive...but immobilized. They were officially mission killed.



In the south, Dan would have another piece of bad luck. As my recalled MKIII moved in reverse, Dan took a couple shots at it, including an Intensive Fire Shot. A 12 caused the MA to be broken and the tank recalled. The shocked tank also went to Unconfirmed Kill and would ultimately be destroyed. So in the South, Dan only had 3 tanks left.

The KV-2 was still on the move!


As I readjusted my forces, I was confronted with 3 x Soviet Tanks in the south and 3 x Soviet Tanks in the north center. Dan would win immediately if 3 tanks exited the west board edge.



Both Dan and I had lost a tank each to Recall.


Turn 3 - Dan's southern group makes a run for the border. The KV-2 along with 2 x BT-5's run through the summer grass towards the west and victory. But...my Landsers are ready and waiting. As the BT-5 Platoon flies by... I target the second one and pull the trigger!  BAM...a hit...and boom...a destroyed BT-5. A stroke of incredible luck that would prove to be a game-winning moment.

Gefreiter Brixner saves the day.





Back in the village, Dan's remaining platoon of T-26's turns around and tries to sneak back through the village. The T-34 and Armored Car cover the rear.



The situation at the bottom half of Turn 3. Two tanks remained in the south and both would exit in the next turn. In the center, three T-26's were still in motion. The Russians still had a chance.

In the south, I knew Dan's tanks would likely exit, so my MKIII watching that area moved along with Grenadiers to try and trap the 3 x T-26's in the village. Dan only needed one of these tanks to survive in order to win. I  had to destroy all three. My MKIV's also moved to help bottle up the Soviets.



Turn 4, Dan's KV-2 and last remaining BT-5 successfully exit. Dan only needed one more tank to exit and win the game!



Dan's T-26's began to move. I opened up and began by destroying the lead T-26.


The following T-26's would move ahead and also be destroyed as my MKIII kept ROF and the MKIV added his firepower to the mix. With that final effort, the Germans had the victory.


A final look at the battlefield. Dan's boys had nearly done it. But for a single ATR shot, the game might have ended very differently.

My Germans could celebrate a lucky victory indeed!


And Now for Dan's Post-Game Comments:


"That did not go according to plan.  First the German 10-2 armored leader picked off the BT-5 tank before the Germans moved.  So no exposed troops.  Second the same German armored leader got a Shock on one of the board 4 T-26 tanks and the other malfunctioned it's main armament and was recalled.  So the KV and BT-5 tanks were all that was left for board 4 force.  Third when the T34 went after a German tank it immobilized on an ESB attempt to stop.  The German tank also immobilized the armored car.  Although the German tank was killed that was an expensive exchange.  Lucky the German 10-2 armored leader malfunctioned his main armament and was recalled in Rally phase.  Leaving the Germans with only one tank.  The KV and BT-5 tanks continued for the exit on Board 4 and the platoon of three T-26 tanks went for board 2.  The German reinforcement tanks entered and blocked the board 2 exit.  So the T-26 tanks went back onto board 3 for exit.  Then in the game winning shot, an ATR killed one of the BT-5 tanks.  So only two tanks exited on board 4.  The Germans were able to stop all three T-26 tanks in the board 3 village for the win.  Well played by Grumble Jones.  The scenario is fun with a good armored battle.  It is a nice scenario to replay since both sides have many movement options.  Look forward to trying this one again someday."




Isn't this why we play ASL!?! My thanks to Dan for another great game in our ongoing Saturday series. Dan and I will be back next Saturday for a playing of Bounding Fire Productions Scenario BFP-88 The Bunkered Village. That's right folks...CRUCIBLE of STEEL will be in the house. 

See you then!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rule nr. 1: Never push for ESB when playing for exit victory conditions unless it's last turn and you would not otherwise get off-board.
    Rule nr. 2: Never shoot on a recalled AFV.
    Rule nr. 3: Never repair a malfunctioning MA unless you absolutely need it for shooting other tanks - especially not when attacker in an exit scenario.

    Grumble Jones, I enjoy your AARs (especially the visual depictions of the battlefield) as some of the best things written for ASL. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete