Sunday, January 13, 2019

Our Friday and Saturday Games! ASL Scenario G17 Hakkaa Paalle and LC Scenario PE2 Operation Schwarz

Well...at the end of last week's AAR, I Indicated that Dan and I would play on Friday next, but skip Saturday due to my work obligations. Well...Old Man Winter had other things in mind. As I look out my office window, I can see nearly 11 inches of snow blanketing the landscape with drifts here and there in the open areas. So, as Dan and I sat down to play our Friday game, the snow was already beginning to fall. By Saturday, we were pretty much socked in for the day. So...with Dan snowed in as well in Kansas City...we decided to play a game of ASL...so this AAR will be a huge...gigantic...action packed...double header!!!

With all this snow...I half expected to see some Finnish Sissi come skiing out of the early morning fog.

I've never been a fan of Winter and like snow even less. Growing up in Northeast Tennessee in the 1970's, weather just wasn't a thing. It was never too hot and never too cold. Of course extreme weather seems to be the order of the day anymore. Would love to go one week where the weather wasn't leading the news.

But on the plus side, I was free to play some ASL with my buddy Dan. So Winter did me a favor!!!

For our Friday game, Dan and I selected ASL Scenario G17 - Hakkaa Paalle. Set in January, 1940, it covers actions during the Winter War between Finland and the Soviet Union. As most of us are aware, the Soviets suffered a bit during this war and were woefully unprepared for the extreme cold of the Winter War. This would of course change after the Germans invaded Russia.

The scenario takes place in the snow covered forests near Vetko, Finland. Deep Snow and extreme winter rules would be in effect during the scenario. The Finns would not suffer much from the extreme Winter, but the Russians would see their LMG breakdown numbers go from an 11 to a 10. Both sides would be on skis and have winter camouflage. ROAR has the scenario with 16 Finnish wins and 15 Russian, while The ASL Archive has it with 3 Finnish wins and 1 Russian Win. Based on ROAR, I would call this a pretty well balanced scenario.


After rolling for sides, Dan would be the Soviets and enter the northeast board edge first, but with half of his movement already expended. This would have far reaching consequences for Dan's boys.

Dan would command elements of the 2nd Soviet Ski Brigade consisting of 20 x 6-2-8's led by  10-2, 9-1 and 8-0 with 6 x LMG's. A very nice sized force and in most any other game...20 x 6-2-8's would bring a huge smile to any player....but trying to ski to safety with Finnish 8-3-8's on your heels....would be no easy task.

The victory conditions were simple, The Finns would have to have 10 more CVP at game end than the Russians.







As the Finns, I would command elements of the 9th Sissi Company consisting of 12 x 8-3-8's led by a 10-1 and a 9-1 with 4 x LMG's. My 4 x LMG's would be the most important weapon in my arsenal. The entire scenario would hinge on the effectiveness of my machine guns.

And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:

The Russian in this scenario are trying to exit from the west edge without losing 10 CVP or more from the Finns.  The biggest disadvantage for the Russian is range.  In the open area of boards 16 and 19 this will be a problem.  The plan for the Russian is to board edge creep.  Make a fast move along the north edge of board 16 to try for the woods on board 34.  Two or three squads can be left to cover the withdraw but most squads will move as fast as possible for the woods.  In the woods the range will make little difference since both sides can only see adjacent.  In the woods the Russians will then try to move to exit by keeping to cover.  Basic tactic is to move all squads each turn keeping 1-3 squads on the south flank with LMG to fire at the pursuing Finns.



 Prior to play, Dan and I had to randomly place the drifts that covered the battlefield. 



A look at just how far Dan's Russians would have to go to reach the west board edge. It was a loooong way to safety.

 Dan's boys ski onto the battlefield and make for the safety of the far western woods.



 Silent as death...my Sissi ski onto the battlefield and move to interdict the Russians.



Everyone was CX...and I can honestly say this is the first time in 40 years of playing ASL that I have ever seen this!!!


As the Russians began moving again on Turn 2, I was ready and my LMG's went to work. I would roll uncommonly well for most of this game and roll more than my fair share of snake-eyes. For his part, Dan's officers would have a hard time making morale checks. The Russian 10-2 would miss his very first one and contribute to the difficulties that would occur for the Russians as the game progressed.

I would lay down fire lanes, but the extreme range would give Dan's Russians an escape path, but Dan was being forced ever closer to the north board edge.

 Part of the challenge of this scenario is keeping your boys on the move. Prep Fire is not an option, if you hope to get in front of the Russians.



I was successful in staying just out of range of the Russians and moving forward just enough to lay fire lanes in the Russian axis of advance.




The next Russian movement phase would a tough one as Dan's boys had to run a gauntlet of Finnish fire lanes. Casualties would be many.



 The many DM's tell the story as Dan's troops took hits as they moved through the Finnish fire.




Dan's 10-2 would return to the fight, but was still in the backfield and unable to lend his skills to the boys upfront.
I had established four kill stacks...which would normally be risky, but given the range of the Russians, I was relatively safe. Dan had wisely dispersed his squads, which reduced the damage of any one lucky hit.

 In my next move, it was time to send half my boys with the LMG's ahead to lay down another round of fire lanes, while I sent my other half into the rear of the Russian forces to collect the broken squads and get as many CVP as possible.




 Dan's next movement would be perilous as I laid down more fire lanes.



For nearly four turns, my Finns had not even suffered a Pin...but I foolishly stacked three squads to confront Dan's 10-2, when a single 6-2-8 with an LMG got an NMC on my stack. All three units would miss and a 12 would give Dan his first CVP of the game. I would get bloody nose for my lack of caution. Meanwhile Dan's 10-2 would break my other boys who were creeping up on him. 

The Russian Bear still had some claws!

My fire lanes would be the difference maker in the scenario and help give me the CVP I needed for the victory.



Once, I had achieved 12 CVP, Dan offered the concession. With my CVP in hand, my forces would melt away to the south and let the remaining Russians make it the western woods.








My Finns would get the victory in what had been an interesting game and a big change from the more usual ASL fare. If you are looking for a nice entry level scenario into Extreme Winter, Deep Snow and Skis, this scenario should be at the top of your list.













And now for Dan's Post-Game Comments:

The plan did not work.  The Finns stayed basically even with the Russians and used the extra range and especially LMG fire lanes to great advantage.  An early loss was the 8-0 Russian leader who rallied with snake eyes but then rolled a 12 HOB disrupting.  He was later taken prisoner.  His extra movement and rally ability was sorely missed.  Several squads broke and were delayed long enough for the Finns to catch them.  Russians lost 12 CVP and only got one in return.  With that bad exchange rate the Finns could not come back to get less than the 10 CVP lead.  Great use of the fire lane and a solid win for Grumble Jones! Great game.  This snow storm double header was a good weekend of ASL!






And now for our Second Feature!

For our Saturday Game - Dan and I selected a scenario from Lone Canuck's Prinz Eugen Scenario Pack. Dan had not yet had the opportunity to play a scenario from this pack, so he was excited to play PE2 - Operation Schwarz.  This pack from Lone Canuck has 9 scenarios focused on the campaigns of the 7th SS Mountain  Division "Prinz Eugen". This division would be comprised of Ethnic Germans drawn primarily from the Banat region of the former Yugoslavia. This division would be one of the best equipped and most competent to serve in the fight against Tito's Partisans. Tito's Partisans avoided direct confrontations with this division when possible.  The division would commit atrocities in the vicious warfare that characterized the fighting in Yugoslavia. 
The scenario takes place during Operation Schwarz (Case Black) in May of 1943. 





Case Black was a full court press by the Axis forces to contain, surround and eliminate the Partisans of the NOVJ, which was the largest and best organized Partisan force in Yugoslavia. ROAR has the scenario with 3 German wins and 1 Partisan win. The ASL Archive has it with 1 German and 0 Partisan wins.  So...at first glance, this scenario would appear to be pro-German. In our playing, I really felt it was pretty well balanced. I would suggest however, that this is a scenario that does require some good ASL skills. Both the attack and defense are not simple. So this would not be a good scenario for your friend who normally plays Warhammer. This one is better suited to your regular ASL opponent. The victory conditions require the Germans to control 24 or more building hexes south of the river. They must also not suffer more than 35 CVP. The Germans have 5 tanks which in total represent 30 CVP potential. So losing those is definitely not good for the German effort.


As the scenario attacker, Dan would command the men of Battalion Dietsche, SS-Regiment 2, 7th SS Gebirgs Division "Prinz Eugen". Dan's force would consist of 18 x 4-6-8's, led by a 9-1, 8-1, 2 x 8-0's, and a 7-0 with 5 x LMG's, 2 x MMG's, and 2 x 50 MTR's. Dan would also have 5 x 38H Tanks with 37* Guns. And lastly, Dan would receive 80mm Battalion OBA. A very substantial force.

As the Partisans, I would be the scenario defender commanding elements of the V Brigade. My force would consist of 9 x 4-4-7's, 5 x 2-2-8's, lead by a 9-1 and 7-0 with 3 x LMG's, 2 x HMG's, 3 x 76* ARTY's and 3 Sangars and 2 x 1+3+5 Pillboxes. The good news was that there were only two bridges across the river, which could only be crossed by bridge.  On Turn 5, I would receive 5 x 4-4-7's led by an 8-1 with an LMG and MMG. 

And now for Dan's Pre-Game Comments:

The German attack will relay on number to break through the Yugoslavian line.  The tanks cannot actually get too close to the enemy squads due to the MOL capability.  The MOL will have the better chance to kill the tanks due to the guns not having AP ammo.  The tanks are worth 5 CVP with the crews and will add up fast if they take losses.  The tanks will mainly be used to armored assault with the lead assault troops.  The 8-1 will lead be the prep fire group with the two MMG and the 7-0 will lead have the OBA and 50mm MTRs.  The plan will be for three tanks and 9-1 assault group to attack bridge 50V5 and two tanks with the 8-0 assault group to attack 50Q2 bridge.  The tanks will move into the village to cut route paths and disrupt the movement of the reinforcements.  Assault group will move to cover the reinforcement areas and take the needed buildings.

One of the interesting aspects of this scenario would be that Dan and I would fight across nearly every part of it. Dan's force would be constricted by the mountain road and the availability of only two bridges. I built a forward defense to try and hold both bridges. 

Dan would Schwerpunkt the bridge on the northwest flank. This was the quickest route and would expose him to the least amount of firepower from what he could see.




I would take hits early in the turn as my a few of my squads broke in Dan's initial Advancing Fire Phase. In my part of Turn 1, I would roll snakes on my Rally and then go berserk. Not really what I was hoping for.

In movement phase, my berserk squad would run across the bridge and be KIA'd by the German mountain troops who were on the hill side.



 I had put a few squads in the rear of the northwest position and quickly headed them south. My 76* ARTY on the hill would get some payback on Dan's boys. My ARTY would be my best performing assets during the battle. Most of the 20 CVP I would inflict on Dan's force would be due to the 76* ARTY's.



My forces would continue to break in the face of German fire. I had staggered the initial German movement, but my infantry would proving to be very brittle.

My sniper would help my cause throughout the battle and inflict additional casualties on the Germans.

Nice Shooting Tex-avana!

As Dan's tanks began to come into view, I would engage my second 76* ARTY. This gun would successfully immobilize the lead German Tank.


With my infantry broken and my ARTY"s having already fired, Dan's Grenadiers began crossing the river 



 With the way open, Dan's Tanks would begin coming across.

And just like that, Dan was building his bridgehead!


 Dan was across the river and in force. 




 I began falling back towards the village. I had to find a way to delay Dan until my reinforcements arrived. The dam had broken though and there was nothing I could to hold back the flood of Germans.



His 7-0 and mortar section had finally gotten into position in the northeast. And the first spotting round landed.



The German 80mm OBA came thundering down...but wait...there were Germans in the blast zone. Many Grenadiers would die as the errant rounds hit their location.



With the bulk of his forces already across the other bridge, Dan would send a lone tank across the other bridge. This would trigger a response from my third and last 76* ARTY.

The 38H is a small target and I would have a tough time hitting them on the move.

Back on the northwest hill, Dan's Grenadiers finished mopping up my remaining forces, except for some brokies who would take a few turns to finally to ground.



Dan consolidated his forces on the northwest hill before moving south to take as many building hexes as possible.

 I tried to fall back and see if I could hang onto enough building hexes to deprive the Germans of the 24 they needed.

 Dan's 38H in the valley would move to close to my 76* ARTY and I would get lucky and KIA it.



 Back on the west flank, Dan's Germans were moving unopposed and securing victory locations.



 The 80mm OBA would come down again wreak havoc on my boys. 

 At this stage of the game, I was handing on by a thread. I had maybe 3 full squads unbroken.

Dan's boys moved to control the village as his tanks moved to interdict my reinforcement entry point.




 Dan's Grenadiers moved over the hills and into the village from the west.



Dan would continue to seize building hexes and eliminate my Partisan squads in Close Combat. The end was swiftly approaching.

My boys in the northwest continued to be a pesty nuisance. Dan would close with them in close combat and lose a squad for his efforts. But eventually he would close out their story.

 My reinforcements arrived, but 3 German Tanks were waiting for them. Drats!

 The Yugoslav Sniper would inflict a final hit on the Germans by KIA'ing the German 8-1.

The final close combats would result in losses for me. The village had finally fallen to the Prinz Eugen.

A last look at the battle. We had played seven of the 7-1/2 turns. Dan had 21 buildings and was poised to take the remining three with no problem. With no way to stop that, I offered the concession and congratulated Dan on a great win.  Overall, my Yugoslavs had not done a great job. My 76* ARTY's and Sniper contributed to the 20 CVP inflicted on Dan's forces, but my infantry did very little in the final analysis. 

Dan's Schwerpunkt had done a great job of getting across the river and spreading out rapidly to get to the village before my reinforcements could. 




And now for Dan's Post-Game Comments:

The assault went as planned except the breakthrough happened at the V5 bridge.  The assault groups got across on turn 2 and the OBA was able to take out one gun.  Unfortunately the OBA also hit my rally point and killed a leader and squad.  The two tanks crossing the Q2 bridge did not fare well, with one immobilized and one knocked out by guns.  However, the rest were able to isolate the reinforcement area and the infantry could take the victory buildings.  I lost a squad chasing broken units in the board 50 woods but finally managed to eliminate them.  This scenario is very fun for both sides and has good replay.  I look forward to playing more from this pack.  A great bonus game during the snow storm.


So that's a wrap on the Winter Games and our Double Header AAR!!!


Dan and I will be back next Saturday for a playing of ASL Scenario 127 Land Leviathans!




2 comments:

  1. We got about 11-15" down here in STL. It was a great day for a visiting 5 yr old niece without a lot of snow experience She and my boys played like crazy in the snow behind our house. No gaming done, busy entertaining family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Glad you had great quality time with the family!!!

    ReplyDelete