Sunday, December 30, 2018

A look back at 2018

Well...2018 is nearing its final days as a deep cold settles over the bare cornfields of western Illinois. Seems like Winter comes earlier, harder and lasts longer these days. And the older I get the less I like Winter. But sitting inside my warm office gives me time to reflect on the year of ASL gone by. The year has flown by, but there were some memorable moments. 

My favorite memory of 2018 was not a specific scenario, but instead the time I got to spend with some great players at this year's March Madness Tournament in Kansas City. The KC Club has been kind enough to embrace me as a member, despite my living in Western Illinois. Attending that Tournament signals the beginning of the Tournament Year and it's a tournament I really look forward to attending each year. Our end of Tournament Brunch on Sunday morning with Dan, Mike and Rick was for me the best memory of 2018. You are my brothers. Can't wait to see you again in March 2019.

2018 was a signal year for me as for the first time in my ASL life, I had more wins than losses in a given calendar year. Even now, that's hard to comprehend...but I'm very grateful for the opportunity to play some great folks and come away with wins against some tough opponents. My 2018 opponents consisted of Dan Best, Dave Mareske, Scott Waites, Dave Ginnard, Jim Burris, Craig Walters, Mike Bistodeau, Richard Trippeer, Justin Williamson, and Burnie Hegdahl. I had a blast playing each and every one of my opponents this year. Of course, Dan Best gets special mention for contributing to the "Our Saturday Game" AAR series. I look forward to continuing our Saturday games in 2019.

And now a look back on 2018...


























2018 is in the can now and I'm looking forward to a great year of ASL in 2019. But 2018 taught me something very important about ASL...the game is only a part of the experience. ASL is the greatest WW II tactical board game because of the people who play it. The ASL Community is second to none. That includes players near and far as well as you, the readers of this blog. We are all part of the greater ASL Community. So cheers to you and yours for a fantastic, ASL filled 2019!!!

Farewell 2018...it was a year and a mission well accomplished.

2 comments:

  1. What a great photo review!! My win rate is still at about a 3rd. It's gonna be some way to go.

    Having said that ..

    "the game is only a part of the experience. ASL is the greatest WW II tactical board game because of the people who play it. The ASL Community is second to none."

    WELL PUT sir .. and here's to a terrific new year ahead. Stay well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackson! Here's to an ASL-Filled year in 2019!

      Delete