Sunday, March 25, 2018

Our Saturday Game - Lone Canuck's DSL 1 - La Petite Ferme

 
For our first Saturday Game since March Madness 2018, Dan and I selected a scenario from Lone Canuck's Drive for  St. Lo  Scenario Pack. Our choice for the evening's action would be DSL 1- La Petite Ferme.

This particular scenario kicks off the fighting between the Germans of Kampfgruppe Kentner and the US 137th Infantry Regiment. The fighting would be up close and personal in the Normandy Bocage. 

I've been a big fan of George Kelln's historical scenario packs ever since completing the Purple Heart Draw campaign game in 2015. So I was eager to jump into this scenario pack. I'm a huge fan of the Normandy Campaign and really enjoy a good Bocage fight. But let's not confuse my enjoyment for any level of skill in the Bocage. I learned some hard lessons playing the Purple Heart Draw CG against Big Kansas (Chris Brackney). Bocage can be both friend and enemy during the scenario.

That dual nature would be on display during our playing of La Petite Ferme. 

One note, this particular scenario is only 5 turns long and Dan Best and I have become masters of speedy play. We would begin this scenario at 5:00 PM and finish by 7:30 PM. Even we were a bit surprised by our efficiency in playing this one. So, if you are looking for a quick playing scenario...I recommend this one!


DSL -1 La Petite Ferme uses a small portion of the DSL map. The avenue of approach for the Americans is very limited and the Germans can cover it very well.

After rolling for sides, I would be the Americans and have the honor of attacking Dan's well placed Germans.

The scenario objective would be for the Americans to ensure there are no good order Germans units within 2 hexes of Hex C6. The Germans would have two wires and 2 fortified building locations in addition to the ability to entrench units in appropriate terrain.













La Petite Ferme 
































Ahh...the Bocage...one mini-fortress after the next!



As the Germans, Dan would command elements of Kampfgruppe Kentner of the 352nd Infantry Division. Few German divisions serving in Normandy are as well remembered as the 352nd. They were the defenders of Omaha Beach and were one of the few German formations on June 6th that gave a good account of themselves. They would continue to bedevil US forces all the way to St. Lo.



Dan's force would consist of 2 x 4-6-7s, 3 x 4-4-7's, a 4-3-6, and 2-4-7. They would be led by an 8-1 and 7-0 with a single HMG. A very compact force, but certainly strong enough for the mission at hand.

And surprisingly the most effective unit during our game would be the German 4-3-6. I would lose a squad and a half trying to take them out.









As the Americans, I would command Company E, 1st Battalion, 137th Infantry Regiment of the 35th Infantry Division. this storied division would leave a record of accomplishments in the drive across France and Germany. And they would be division represented in Kelly's Heroes!

















My force would consist of 3 x 6-6-6's, 3 x 5-4-6's, and a 5-3-6 led by a 9-1 and 8-0 with 2 x MMG's and 2 x Bazookas. On Turn 3, I would get 2 x M-10 Tank Destroyers. But...Turn 3 is honestly not soon enough. Just say'n....

 I didn't have a ton of good options for where to move first. I had to assume that some of the upfront units were real and indeed the unit in D3 was the German 4-3-6.




My intelligence from captured prisoners helped me...well...not actually at all. Dan wouldn't tell me what was under his question marks...!!!





 My initial jump-off went rather poorly. The German 4-3-6 took out a half-squad that came at it and the German 8-1 with the HMG opened up and broke my boys on the east edge. The Germans were very much in control on Turn 1.



 I threw a 5-4-6 into close combat with the 4-3-6 and went hand to hand. Bad call on my part as I rolled my normal "11" and died at the hands of the 4-3-6. UGH!!!

 I would eventually manage to reduce the 4-3-6 to a half-squad, but Dan would move them to E2 to create further mischief. Fortunately, I would break them first and ultimately eliminate them. But they had done great damage to my force and delayed me more than a turn, which would be critical.

 My efforts towards eliminating a single 2-3-6.



 After two turns of movement, I was not in the positions I needed to be in order to make a run towards the objective.

 Turn 3 - my two M-10's arrive and bust through the bocage to support my boys.




  One of my 5-4-6's on the west edge would ELR and disrupt. They would become prisoners and later be killed by a Panzerfaust back blast.

 With my M-10's, I made my strongest move forward.



 Broken German squads had retreated to the fortified building in C6. 

My 9-1 had managed to rally my boys and keep them moving forward.

 Turn 4...my M-10's would go on a death ride. I was simply out of time and had to move forward no matter the cost. And truthfully, I was hoping that Dan's interior Panzerfaust shots would break his units for me. It worked a bit, but not enough for the loss of both M-10's.
Dan's 8-1 with the HMG was still keeping my units, pinned or DM'd.


 Despite missing several of his Panzerfaust checks...Dan's 7-0 would successfully get one and finish off my last M-10. The Germans had stood up to the challenges of this scenario successfully!

Going into Turn 5, my 9-1 knew his boys would have to go for broke.



 My boys charged the German positions and Dan stopped me cold. Game over.




A fast and furious game was over and Dan's Germans had the victory!


My congrats to Dan on a good win! We both enjoyed this scenario and would definitely recommend it for a fast play game and as an opening scenario for this great George Kelln scenario pack.




This AAR is dedicated to the men of  Company E, 137th Infantry.

















Dan and I will be taking a break to spend Easter Weekend with family. We'll see you again in two weeks for a playing of March Madness - The Player's Pack Scenario MM47 - The Brickworks.

Until then, here's wishing your and your families a happy Easter.



My best memories of Easter Sunday were those I spent in the Valparaiso University Chapel. For me, there is no more stirring place to experience the miracle of Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment