Saturday, January 6, 2018

Our Friday Game - BG Scenario PAD 1: Time is Tight

Happy 2018 everyone! Hopefully your new ASL year has started off well. My long-time opponent from St. Louis and I were once more on SKYPE playing another great game of ASL. I always enjoy getting together with my buddy Scott in St. Louis. We have a lot of shared history since first meeting in 1978. From Jr. High to High School to Friday night D&D to Squad Leader, Midway, Bismark, and finally Advanced Squad Leader. In addition to gaming, we hiked miles and miles of the OzarkTrail from Taum Sauk to Bell Mountain and Trace Creek to Owl's Bend. And during the flood of 1993, I nearly lost my friend in a flash flood in the Moniteau Wilderness north of Columbia, MO. We both learned some hard lessons that June day and let's say I never start hiking when I hear thunder rumbling and I am never...even on the hottest day without my poncho.

Following behind Scott on one of our hikes in 1988 as we headed towards Proffit Mountain in Missouri's Johnson Shut-Ins. Missouri's Ozark Trail is one of those hidden gems in this country. Sadly, we are not the young men we were 30 years ago. But the great thing about ASL is age only makes you better....right!?!

Scott and I have decided to play through all four of the BG PAD scenarios. So we selected PAD 1: Time is Tight to kick it off. After rolling for sides, Scott would be the Germans and I would be the scenario attacker. I would be the Americans and the defensive posture. The scenario (designed by Pete Shelling) covers the events of December 26th, 1944 in Tri-le-Cheslaing, Belgium.

Ok..I searched and searched...books...maps...etc. and could not locate Tri-le-Cheslaing anywhere. But it is mentioned repeatedly in this 82nd Airborne webpage:

As the Americans, I would command elements of Company C, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment. Many classic pictures of this unit during the Bulge Battle exist. I would have 6 x 6-6-7's led by a 9-1 and 8-0 with an MMG, a Bazooka and 60 MTR. I would also be able to start the game with units entrenched if so desired. I chose not to entrench. The battle would be fought with ground snow and no wind.

Scott would command elements of the 4th SS Panzer Grenadiers - "Der Fuhrer" Regiment. These boys had a long combat history and the 82nd Airborne history would remark on their fighting quality during the Battle of the Bulge. Scott's force would consist of 9 x 6-5-8's led by a 9-1, 2 x 8-0's, with an MMG, 2 x LMG's and a Panzerschreck. For support he would also have a halftrack with 20L (12 INF Factor). A very tough force to say the least. 

The victory conditions required that the Germans control all 4 of the multi-hex buildings at game end. My plan was to hold the first line as long as possible and then have the second line fall back to the final stone building. I ended up putting my bazooka in the wrong place and it never fired. The German half-track would cause me no little grief as a result.



 Having played Scott for so many years, I have become accustomed to his more cautious style of play. I think I have mentioned this many times in other AAR's.  Scott's boys would move slowly into position. Prep Fire has always been my friend, Scott's favorite phase.


Now my first roll of Defensive fire as Scott's 8-0 moved into position with two squads...would be "Snake-Eyes". Is there a better way to begin the New ASL Year!?!

His 8-0 bought the farm and another squad would break. My boys would draw first blood...but unfortunately the 8-0 would be the only German unit to perish during this scenario.


 But Scott would also roll some snake eyes and create a fanatic 6-5-8 and a Hero.


 Snipers would be active on both sides and the German sniper would hit my 3-4-7 with the Bazooka twice...ultimately eliminating them and leaving my bazooka lying on the floor of a Belgian farm house.



 Scott put a lot of firepower down on my first line. My boys began to break under the pressure.



As my boys began to break...Scott's Grenadiers moved forward. 


 The sniper would finish off my 3-4-7 as mentioned earlier. OUCH!!

My 6-6-7 in the church did a good job of holding on for two turns.

In a short turn scenario...every turn you delay your opponent...all the better!

 The German half-track was a big problem. It's (12 INF FP) was causing me grief. I began making plans to pull my 9-1 and MMG back.



 Heading into the half-way mark, the Germans had one victory location and were making strong moves towards 2 more. My 9-1 and MMG had made it to the Alamo location and would set up shop for the last stand.

 My 8-0, despite breaking two or three times in the course of the scenario...kept rallying and kept my boys as a thorn in the German side.


 
 Scott's Panzergrenadiers surged ahead. They could sense my boys cracking.



 I still had boys resisting in the center. A lot depended on them slowing down the Germans.


 My final pockets of resistance. At this stage I had lost about 2 squads total. Scott's Germans had lost only the 8-0 from Turn 1. He still had his full order of battle coming at me.

But...their cautious and methodical advance had cost them valuable time.


 Turns 5 and the beginning of 6.  Scott's Grenadiers are out of time and storm forward.

But it would be too late. Time had run out.


A last look at the situation. My boys had held the Germans back long enough to create a final line at the last victory location building. I would finally have a victory...my 9 game losing streak was over...at least until I begin the next one!!!

Here's hoping...I can keep the win streak alive!!




Yes I am!!

See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment